England

Yorkie
Message added by Disco,

Use the Euros forum please - https://newcastle-online.org/forum/36-euro-2024/

Guest neesy111

Sterling is a far superior player to Lingard. 

Sterling is absolutely critical to England actually being good. Has to be one of the first names on the teamsheet for me.

Rashford is the one I'm not sure on.

This.

Guest firetotheworks

Imagine persisting with Sterling for 27 goalless games, then dropping him right after he scores twice in the 28th.

Presumably to be replaced by Sammy Ameobi.

Imagine persisting with Sterling for 27 goalless games, then dropping him right after he scores twice in the 28th.

Well... imagine having doubts about a player for 27 games, and those doubts disappearing just becomes he scores twice in the 28th. That's my perspective on it.

At international level, there's a premium on technique and adaptability. Despite being a great athlete, I think he's lacking in both.

Technique is such a grey area.

Sterling tends to have an excellent first touch (noticeably better than Sane for example) and has the best close control in the current England squad. He's not the best striker of the ball but that's improving. He's scored a couple outside the box this season and last nights finish was excellent. He was the only one able to trap the ball and keep it in the second half.

His appreciation of the game is much better than people realise and with his pace, it's his standout attribute. He has a great knack of finding space and his off the ball running is tremendous for City. He scores 10 of those second goal tap-ins for City due to that movement and off the ball running. His issue for England has been that he hasn't been getting into those goalscoring positions as much and poor finishing.

But he's literally streaks ahead of anyone else that could play in his position. In terms of keeping possession, close control under pressure, short passing only Kane is as good.

To add to this, he's much more adaptable currently than Sane for example. Sane relies heavily on his striking technique and physical gifts - he just so happens to be unstoppable when he gets it right. Sterling has more variety to his game.

Sterling tends to have an excellent first touch (noticeably better than Sane for example) and has the best close control in the current England squad. He's not the best striker of the ball but that's improving. He's scored a couple outside the box this season and last nights finish was excellent. He was the only one able to trap the ball and keep it in the second half.

His appreciation of the game is much better than people realise and with his pace, it's his standout attribute. He has a great knack of finding space and his off the ball running is tremendous for City. He scores 10 of those second goal tap-ins for City due to that movement and off the ball running. His issue for England has been that he hasn't been getting into those goalscoring positions as much and poor finishing.

But he's literally streaks ahead of anyone else that could play in his position. In terms of keeping possession, close control under pressure, short passing only Kane is as good.

Good post ?

Good post ?

Yep, excellent post. Playing only one of Henderson or dier helps too, putting a passer in the team to pick out sterling’s runs. Thought winks was excellent last night too, not seen much of him before.

Guest firetotheworks

Sterling's not the sort of player that I really normally like, but all the shit he gets in the media just enamoures him to me tbh, I absolutely love it when he shuts their daft racist mouths.

To add to this, he's much more adaptable currently than Sane for example. Sane relies heavily on his striking technique and physical gifts - he just so happens to be unstoppable when he gets it right. Sterling has more variety to his game.

I pretty much disagree with all of that. Even the bits about Kane and Sane.

Fast players like Sterling with that rapid, short stride are often very good at running with the ball because their running style means they can stay close to it. For me, technique comes into play when they have to kick it. And Sterling often seems to keep running with the ball when he ought to release it.

That lofted pass that Barkley produced for the third goal is what I mean by technique.

Agree. I'd like to see him experimented with, though. I know it may sound crazy, but perhaps tried in a more holding position. Similar to Pogba in the French team.

You have some mental views on football like :lol:

Fast players like Sterling with that rapid, short stride are often very good at running with the ball because their running style means they can stay close to it. For me, technique comes into play when they have to kick it. And Sterling often seems to keep running with the ball when he ought to release it.

That lofted pass that Barkley produced for the third goal is what I mean by technique.

Shaun Wright Phillips? Atsu? Nathan Dyer? they didn't have that.

He's not a creative midfielder? So he's rarely going to play the sort of pass Barkley did. Technique isn't limited to being able to loft a through ball. Like I said, i'm sure Guardiola has seen plenty of technical players in his time with Barca and he seems to like him a lot.

Are you disputing that a short stride makes it easier to run with the ball?

I'm not talking running at pace. His first 3-4 touches, he rarely losses the ball at that point. He can be in a tight space, markers around, his first touch is way more consistent than Sane's at this point. In general, he's very good in tight spaces either dribbling or short passes. Again, he doesn't lose the ball that much for a wide player because a) his touch is good b) generally releases the ball at the right time c) he's good at short range passing.

I think that's the reason why Sterling is more guaranteed of a start at City than Sane atm. Better at the quick, intricate, build-up play, better movement off the ball. If Sterling wasn't technically sound or consistently made poor decisions he wouldn't be a key player for Guardiola.

It's something Ayoze is often really bad at (at 10). He'll lose the ball time and time again because his touch or strength or a combination has let him down.

Barkley has better passing ability aye. But for a central midfielder, i'm not sure of his technique when under pressure. Can he short his feet out quick enough? That's one thing that stood out for Madrid when Alonso was replaced by Kroos (and Kroos had to play the deepest CM role). Kroos can deal with a high press much better and still play his game. Allows the team to play quicker and maintain attacks in tight spaces. That's something Sterling is great at (relatively speaking).

Technique in terms of striking the ball, no he's not the best at all. Long range passing isn't something he attempts a lot either but he's not that kind of player. He's someone that gets in behind opposition with pace and can play tight, creative football against a crowded defence and find space to score a goal too.

I think Lingard is good at finding space and finishing too. But his all-round game is far inferior at this point.

Agree. I'd like to see him experimented with, though. I know it may sound crazy, but perhaps tried in a more holding position. Similar to Pogba in the French team.

You have some mental views on football like :lol:

Yaya Toure played CB for Barca that one time. I'm just saying.

You put Alli in Dier's role and have him use his superior positioning to make tackles. He can probably spray the ball around better than him, too. I don't want to see Alli shoe horned into one of the attacking positions. He can score all the goals he wants for Spurs, but we don't need that from him.

I really liked what I saw from Barkley and Winks. Mobile runners who can link up with attack.

Hope Sturridge can stay fit till the next break. Kane might need a rest. Sturridge can play there as the number 9.

You know how Rio and Gerrard and Lampard didn't want to go away on international duty? I feel like these lads do. There's a real spirit in the camp. This is a real England team. We have players from all over the league in the squad. Maguire from Leicester is mental! Hopefully one of ours will be getting in soon.

No offence, but I pretty much disagree with all of your reply to TCD. You can’t just redefine ‘technique’ to only fit one component part and running at pace keeping the ball under close control requires great technique (touch) it isn’t solely about length of stride.