Georginio Wijnaldum

Disco

Always try to be fair Matt. No agenda, that I'm aware of...apart form aversion to fuckwits.

Well either he's a relatively unknown and kudos for bringing him here or he was well known and kudos for getting him to come here for a decent fee. It can't be both ways?

Always try to be fair Matt. No agenda, that I'm aware of...apart form aversion to fuckwits.

Fuckwits that can't appreciate Colback's contribution to the team for example, while so many coaches, managers and ex-players do right?

Fuckwittery, in this sense, involves ignoring or not being able to understand the actual issue previously being debated (in the Colback forum), or believing and propogating the delusional chaff which is the actual issue being debated, ie. what they see on the pitch is proof that a player is deliberately playing badly to save their skin/reputation at the expense of the team, that one player is the sole/main reason that the 'top of the pyramid'  premiership teams they have played in have struggled with relegation, that people with professional knowledge and day-to-day coaching of the player over his career are biased (due to friendship/not wanting to hurt his feelings-despite having to have the conversation with 99% of the best young players who go through their academies), that anybody who doesn't share these views international manager or fellow fan is clearly wrong/not as proficient at mind reading as they are. Anyway, what doe sthat have to do with not seeing it as vital to applaud Graham Carr for finding Wijnaldum; Dennis Wise could have found this fucker. Doubt it was GC who persuaded him to sign. Who do you fancy applauding for that?

Robert wouldn't even be in my top 20 of Toon players from the PL and I loved him.

What is this madness? Intrigued to read the 20 names

Yup, one of two players (along with Bellamy, another supposed villain from the Souness Era who spilled some home truths at the time) who were vital in transforming our attack and punching Robson's team up a gear. Statistically would have to be our most productive winger since Waddle.

You can't rattle on about Pardew this & Pardew that and how he expects wide attacking players to have the traits of an auxillary fullback, and crucify (justifiably) the manager when his ego effectively alienates the team's attacking mavericks and have a selective memory - and HTT panned & hung Robert out to dry and backed the manager during the dark days of Souness v Robert. This is something I'll never forget either, especially at a time when a manager's warped football ideology & ego were dismantling a team. Robert received a similar a raw deal under Souness, re: Ben Arfa /Pardoo (his football ideology, expectations, and ultimstely ran foul of The King's ego). If you can't find a spot in your PL Era Top 20 for Robert (a productive flawed geniys type, made a massive impact prior to being alienated by a manager) and inclyde Ben Arfa then I think you're a sellout to just about everything previously posted about genius type players (while Pardew was 'ere) and hiw they should be handled by a manager in order for them yo flourish - which Pardew & Souness' respective 'style' is the antithesis of.

In no order: Shearer, Speed, Lee, Solano, Ferdinand, Beardsley, Cole, Woodgate, Ginola, Wijnaldum, Given, Bellamy, Tino, Ben Arfa. Struggling after this point to think of anyone who I liked more than Robert.

Robert was belting. That Spurs game man.

Robert was a fantastic player. Better than Ginola, better than Nobby too. I think he was the catalyst for the Robson team. He had a hand in what felt like every goal we scored at the start of that season. Bellamy was a huge part of the team too, but it was Robert who created the initial momentum.

I kind of suspect wide men, both wingers and wide forwards, is a position where burn out happens quickly. It's definitely a position where people soon get frustrated if its not happening every game. "People" here including managers who should know better.

Loved Robert. Somebody on here once posted something about non-Geordie Newcastle fans being "failed glory hunters". Guilty as charged. I became a fan of this club because I so enjoyed watching Robert, Bellamy, Solano, and Shearer play.  But mostly Robert. When I told my Arsenal-supporting wife that I was going to support Newcastle, she looked at me like I was out of my mind.

I missed out on Keegan so I can't comment on the players of that era, but they must have been something to push Robert out of the top 20.  Ben Arfa, sure.  But no one else is even remotely comparable.

Splitting our top 20 between positions a little evenly, and with consideration of long term performances (so excluding our newer signings I would say:

Keepers: Given, Krul

Full backs: Janmaat, Debuchy, Bernard, Enrique

Central Defenders: Coloccini, Woodgate

Central Midfielders: Speed, Cabaye, Lee, Dyer

Attacking midfielders: Robert, Ginola, Solano

Forwards: Shearer, Beardsley, Ferdinand, Cole, Ba.

Also while I don't dispute a lot of those would go on my list, it seems a bit unbalanced that only 4 members of the team that almost won the title are on there.

Aye it's shite. Batty, Albert, Clark, Beresford, Gillespie, Sellars should all be mentioned and maybe Howey and Dazza Peacock.

Woodgate only started 5 more league games for us as what Gini has fwiw.

Woodgate was a class act but lets be honest, he hardly played. For that reason I would have Albert in ahead of him. Anyway we're drifting off topic here so that's my final word on it!

Why has this lad not been playing central all season?

He is a fantastic footballer, the way he moved between the lines was so good.  Caused them huge problems, not only that he is brilliant with the ball at his feet.  Another goal and another assist, class

He is a fantastic footballer, the way he moved between the lines was so good.  Caused them huge problems, not only that he is brilliant with the ball at his feet.  Another goal and another assist, class

He played central at the start of the season iirc? Anita and Colback deeper?

He played central at the start of the season iirc? Anita and Colback deeper?

He didn't play well at the first attempt but then he had no supply line with the aforementioned shite behind him.

Aye, was moved left for the Norwich game, or possibly the one prior to Norwich, can't quite remember. Wasn't bad in that spell though, just didn't get involved enough due to fitness and not being used to the league.

I don't have a problem with him having his initial period out wide. He still contributed heavily despite going missing at times and it gave him an opportunity to adapt to the league in a position that wouldn't shatter his confidence early on if he fucked up. Now he's up to speed he should be in his best position.