Georginio Wijnaldum

Disco

On the NUFC arsehole scale he'll fall in a couple of notches under Michael Owen. His marra Sissoko might even knock the horse-scuttler of his perch when he pegs it.

Michael Owen cost us £17m and never really turned up before leaving on freedom of contract after barely making himself available during his time here. Just some perspective. But yeah, £60m for cunts you don't rate.

Was probably in the minority that wanted him to stay. I feel he could have been great for us under Rafa, especially if we got promoted this season.

Still, £25m. Good business. Onwards and upwards.

Was probably in the minority that wanted him to stay. I feel he could have been great for us under Rafa, especially if we got promoted this season.

I know what you mean. I'm largely pleased he's moving on, I mean what's the point in trying to keep a player who doesn't want to play for your club, regardless of ability? He probably only performed in about 8 games all year :lol: And the fee is more than we could have expected really. That said, he showed in flashes what he could do, in those games he looked so quick and smooth, great at arriving in the box at just the right moment with an eye for goal that few of our other players have.

I can only imagine he'll have some eye catching displays for Liverpool next season (probably all at Anfield while the sun shines) and it will piss me off a bit. Yeah he's gutless and it's particularly galling given he really does have ability in there. You wonder what he might have been able to produce with more heart and consistency and also time under this coaching staff. Ultimately he wasn't prepared to bother, so fuck him. Invest the fee properly and we move on :thup:

See I don't get this, why do you think he'd improve so much under Rafa this season?  Everyone basically looked like shit before Rafa came in, but within a few games he had most of them looking like new players.  But Wijnaldum was one of the few still looking no better, one of those who ended up really costing us when we failed to win against Villa.  Wondering around the pitch like he didn't have a fucking care in the world.

Did really well in the last game when it didn't matter to us one jot though, when he was playing against a team who might be interested in signing him, only thing that motivates him is him.

See I don't get this, why do you think he'd improve so much under Rafa this season.  Everyone basically looked like s*** before Rafa came in, but within a few games he had most of them looking like new players.  But Wijnaldum was one of the few still looking no better, one of those who ended up really costing us when we failed to win against Villa.  Wondering around the pitch like he didn't have a f***ing care in the world.

Personally think he had already decided to leave by then. If he wanted to commit and grow under Rafa, there was a player worth keeping. He wasn't, whether the club had sickened him early on and Rafa coming made no difference, I don't know. I think he would have improved under Rafa if he was prepared to put the work in and he just wasn't. Talented but a gutless waster, think Liverpool might regret buying him eventually.

One of those rare deals in football where you feel like all parties have done well. There's clearly a very good player in Wijnaldum and I think Klopp can get the best out of him. We've done well to get as much from him as we did, probably much because of Rafa's "we don't need to sell anyone" attitude.

The main thing now is that the money from Gini and probably, Sissoko, is spent wisely, whether it be now or later - we need a decent striker as well as a creative midfielder because I have doubts as to whether Shelvey will do the business regularly. We don't look strong on our right side either with Janmaat likely to be another departure and even if he stayed, his displays last season were poor at the back.

You have to remember that KK had the benefit of 3 or 4 young players from our youth development when he took over - Watson, Clarke, Howey and Elliott, all of whom played a major part in promotion and establishing us in the PL afterwards...Rafa has Lascelles(NOT a product of our own development)and maybe Mbabu and Armstrong, both not proven at this level so Rafa will have to buy players and the Championship is, in my opinion, certain to be a tougher proposition this time than it was either in 2009 or 1992/3...just look at some of the clubs already there, let alone the other 2 relegated sides...

The 'ballwinner' article on the Championship Planning thread sums it up for me ; NUFC are EXPECTED to lead the chase for the PL and if they don't there will be a lot of pressure on everyone at the club so as the article says , it will be tough to settle in all the new players quickly.

Nevertheless, I will be surprised if Rafa doesn't have the club in a promotion position by March.....

I am very much in the camp that putting him or Sissoko in a side where they aren't surrounded by dross and expected to be the sole creative outlets will end up being beneficial to the purchasing team. It's all too tempting to just say "he's a bottler"; he's just not the kind of player who turns a game round single handedly. He's very useful in a fluid passing/counter-attacking system. I think he'll be decent for Liverpool and it will piss me off a lot.

With that said, there's a slight part of me that thinks he's a 7-a-side player.

As mental as this sounds, someone told me that he'd already agree terms with Liverpool in January but had to wait until the summer. As with everything I take that sort of thing with a pinch of salt but it seems awfully coincidental he's off to them.

It would explain him going missing since January anyway.

I haven't been bothered about a player leaving since Carroll. When a young local lad jumps ship, that's the nail in the coffin as far as loyalty is concerned. It's ironic because it turned out to be the best sale we ever made.

When you compare Wijnaldum's situation to that of Ben Arfa, a much more talented player and a one who actually had an affinity for the fans, it's amazing that we let him go for nowt.

Couldnt give a fuck about Wijnaldum. Let's find a young gem, who wants to be here and wants to work hard.

The thing with Wijnaldum was that he thought he was better than the club from the start, you could tell by his attitude and especially work rate. He probably thinks he's too good to be playing for Liverpool too.

I don't think anyone on here is going to say he's not one of the more talented players we ever signed, potentially top 10 (on talent. not results).

The fucker probably thinks he'll end up at Real Madrid so he's not gonna bust his bollocks for anyone until then. I'll say one thing, if he pulls the same shit at Liverpool, those supporters will proper turn on him.

It may take them a bit longer to cop what's happening but they will see the same traits we did eventually.

He seemed quite a down to earth lad when he arrived I thought, I don't see much reason to think anything else. He just couldn't impose himself on enough games, for what reason I'm not sure.

Playing under a clueless manager might have had something to do with it. Next season at Liverpool will provide some answers. I'm not convinced that he's suited to English football personally, but he won't have any excuses under Klopp.