Jamaal Lascelles

Nobody

Jamaal Lascelles  

176 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

He needs to learn to play football, he's good at defending but Mike Williamson-esque with the ball at his feet.

The more time passes, the more people seem to forget just how terrible Mike Williamson was. He was literally one of the worst CBs i've ever seen.

He needs to learn to play football, he's good at defending but Mike Williamson-esque with the ball at his feet.

The more time passes, the more people seem to forget just how terrible Mike Williamson was. He was literally one of the worst CBs i've ever seen.

He was a good championship defender

• 1 month later...

Weird thing with him at the minute with some fans. Got absolutely slated by fans in the match thread despite no live footage. Heard mixed receptions from people at the game. Abysmal effort for their goal mind.

I think he's got quality but needs time and patience given his lack of experience. It doesn't seem like some quarters want to give him it though. Although that seems to be an across the board problem - Jon Stones being a prime example.

I personally think he'll develop into a good Premier League player. He needs to stop absolutely bricking himself when he's got the ball at his feet and we're under pressure though. He'd probably suit the Morgan/Huth approach and just smash anything that comes near him. He's colossal in the air for us though.

He needs time to develop. Would probably benefit from playing with a solid experienced centre half. I can't see him starting next season though, just not good enough currently. Ok when the ball is in front of him but in behind and he goes to shreds. I thought he was quicker than he is too.

Being slated by fans at this stage is ridiculous though

He'll get roasted in the PL, square him up and he has the turning circle of a Tanker, the slightest pace once he's square completely does him. He was done in the first half in an embarrassment of a 1 on 1 and he got done again for the goal (albeit the Wigan lad did well).

I seriously think he may have to go.

Some posters on here are very fickle, centre halves take a long time to develop and benefit massively from experience.

This is true

Maguire is a great example of this, been on the fringes of the Hull team for years now and been sent out on loan.

But this season hes looked canny

He looks nervous and indecisive at times - and particularly for the Wigan goal, where he seemed to get caught in two minds.

For a centre back, I think he's not bad on the ball, but I'm unsure how strong he is as a defender.

But for sure, mental strength is crucial for a centre back.

He's been s**** recently after having a decent start to the season. All of a sudden he seems to be shitting his pants when he gets the ball. The lack of a challenge for their goal yesterday was criminal as well.

It wasn't just for their goal, he did it a few times.  Earlier in the season he was dropped because of his mistakes and should be again.

He's been s**** recently after having a decent start to the season. All of a sudden he seems to be shitting his pants when he gets the ball. The lack of a challenge for their goal yesterday was criminal as well.

It wasn't just for their goal, he did it a few times.  Earlier in the season he was dropped because of his mistakes and should be again.

Unfortunately there's no one better to come in with Clark injured. CB has to be a big priority area in the summer window.

Definitely worth persevering with, but I'm not comfortable at the prospect of him starting first choice for us next season. Not sure how much the captaincy has helped tbh, a lot of pressure for someone so inexperienced.

Definitely worth persevering with, but I'm not comfortable at the prospect of him starting first choice for us next season. Not sure how much the captaincy has helped tbh, a lot of pressure for someone so inexperienced.

I dont think pressure of the captaincy has had much to do with it, to be honest.

He's very inconsistent, we've had a real mixed bag from him this year and it's all been down to him as an individual. He could do with understanding his limitations and concentrate on what he is normally good at, being a penalty box defender.

Not sure what those limitations have got to do with him being absolutely owned in the penalty box due to lack of agility, mind.

I agree that he his agility is poor but I still think he's decent when it comes to making blocks, interceptions and tackles in the box (recent form aside).

He is notably better in games when we are defending as a team I.e Brighton, Huddersfield etc. When the game opens up or we have to go and attack a team, he doesn't know where to put himself and gets caught out.

I think he will improve with experience but it's hard to tell how much. We should stick with him though. As you say, we need a centre half in the summer.