Jamaal Lascelles

Nobody

Jamaal Lascelles  

176 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

Hopefully he uses this to spur him on even more. There's little between him and the two that were picked so he should use this to know he's very close. Now it's up to him to step up ahead of them.

:thup: the right way to look at it for him, but annoyed with Southgate in general. Utter mug.

Guest chopey

I was saying I would rather none of our players were called up, but it turns out I'm quite pissed off lascelles isnt in that shit squad.

Split on this tbh. It could just as easily fire him up as it could suggest to him that he needs to play for a much bigger club (like Burnley, West Brom or Swansea) in order to get recognition from his country.

I'm upset for him as he more then deserves the call up, the difference in form for when he's in our team and not is absurd. On the other hand, i'm glad he and seemingly other members of the squad arn't jetting off for friendly matches before a crucial run in, and get to spend the three weeks with Rafa and the back room team.

At this stage in a critical season for us I am pretty glad that Lascelles is not in the squad,  it would be typical NUFC luck for him to get an England call up with all the ceremony that comes with it and to then receive a season ending injury in training from the mistimed challenge of a team mate that makes our run in and Premier League security even more treacherous....

At this stage in a critical season for us I am pretty glad that Lascelles is not in the squad,  it would be typical NUFC luck for him to get an England call up with all the ceremony that comes with it and to then receive a season ending injury in training from the mistimed challenge of a team mate that makes our run in and Premier League security even more treacherous....

Agreed.

Don't like the happiness he's been overlooked cause he might get injured. This lad has been instrumental in dragging the club up with Rafa and we might stay up. He'll now miss a world cup that could be the only one he is ever in contention for I'm sad for the lad because he deserves it. As much as the other players may be having good seasons I'm confident none of them have the leadership and character of this lad.

Guest Howaythetoon

Whether you agree with Southgate or not he's not picked Smalling because of his limitations on the ball, and Lascelles fits into the same category.

He has improved massively in that area to be fair. He’s no Rio Ferdinand, but he rarely gives it away and is comfortable with the ball at his feet. When was the last time he just hacked it forward or aimed a punt up field? He takes his time and is assured these days.

Guest Howaythetoon

Smallimg has regressed massively, I remember when he and Jones were considered top prospects and the future of Man Utd and England.

:jones:

He’s still a good player Smalling mind, but he’s being asked to be some kind of leader and it’s that type of player he needs alongside him.

You would think Southgate, of all England managers, would be well placed to spot talented CBs and leaders. Disappointed for him if it means he has no chance of going to Russia; you don’t get many chances of a World Cup. Given the existing competition I will be very surprised if he doesn’t get his chance at some point.

Guest Howaythetoon

We would need a concerted effort from the likes of Shearer to champion his cause to make Southgate take notice, thats sadly how it’s done these days. I still believe a lot of younger less established players are called up and given caps because it will add value to a transfer/wages which I’m sure gets kicked back to the manager and FA by agents etc.

Don't think he's good enough on the ball to play in the England team when you take into account how Southgate wants them to play. Personally think Lascelles is a really good defender, but his overall game isn't strong enough when you take into account his ability to play passes into midfield/play under pressure.

He needs to be exposed to a team that wants to play attacking football, to build play from the back regularly. Unless Rafa (or whichever poor sod is here in the summer) is given money to invest in the squad then that won't happen as we will simply have to play to survive.

Guest chopey

Terry wasn't great on the ball either but he had Rio Ferdinand beside him. I think Lascelles might complement someone like say Stones quite well TBH.

Thats a cracking shout

Terry wasn't great on the ball either but he had Rio Ferdinand beside him. I think Lascelles might complement someone like say Stones quite well TBH.

Terry wasn't a great long passer but was really assured off both feet

Call me old fashioned but i would prefer my central defender to be a defender first, it's not as if Jamal can't pass the thing. To say he not good enough for England under Gareth Fucking Southgate because he's not good enough on the ball is fucking utter tripe.

Can Jamal defend - yes, is he good in the air - yes, is he ok on the ball - yes, is he leader - too fucking right he is. If it's about him not being good enough on the ball then James Bumblefuckname of Burnley must be Franco Baresi.

Jamal deserves a call up because is and has been a very good defender this season.

Guest Howaythetoon

Don't think he's good enough on the ball to play in the England team when you take into account how Southgate wants them to play. Personally think Lascelles is a really good defender, but his overall game isn't strong enough when you take into account his ability to play passes into midfield/play under pressure.

He needs to be exposed to a team that wants to play attacking football, to build play from the back regularly. Unless Rafa (or whichever poor sod is here in the summer) is given money to invest in the squad then that won't happen as we will simply have to play to survive.

Does it well enough for us, it’s not like Emgland are Man City and dominate possession, if anything they are more like us. He’d be fine in an England shirt.