Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Unsurprising yet still surprising how excited I am with the prospect of having him back after several years of hoping he was moved on and replaced in each upcoming window. 

He hasn't done too much wrong under Howe and has been a great contributor. Still needs replacing but has a future here in the team in the short term and squad for the mid.

I expected Bruno to be starting in that position this season even if he was fit but I’m not so sure anymore, think he’d be pushed up alongside Joe with Shelvey sitting for more games than often when he’s back now 

Edited by Nine

20 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Definitely one of those players who contributes far more with good players around him. I don’t see him being here much longer, but he’s obviously a better option than Longstaff.

He does a specific job reasonably well, collects the ball from the back, distributes well, and doesn't give the ball away much. His movement off the ball is still rubbish, but yes, he will be upgraded in the next year or so I would imagine.

Rather McTominay than Shelvey. McTominay can actually run, track back, and pass a ball to someone in the same shirt.

Jonjo was at his best in the Championship. He was a Championship Zidane. He can't be relied on to provide any consistent level of performance. He can strike a ball, yes, ping a pass yes - play CM in the Premier League, I'd say no.  

42 minutes ago, Nolberto Disco said:

Rather McTominay than Shelvey. McTominay can actually run, track back, and pass a ball to someone in the same shirt.

Jonjo was at his best in the Championship. He was a Championship Zidane. He can't be relied on to provide any consistent level of performance. He can strike a ball, yes, ping a pass yes - play CM in the Premier League, I'd say no.  

I'd by and large agree, we were better when Rafa dropped him, but he did very well under Howe, I had thought we shouldn't trust him but if Howe can get a consistent tune out of him would be happy for him to be back. We were after a midfielder in summer but didn't get one, I imagine we will be back in January for one so unfortunately for him he does have shelf life but if he comes back he is certainly an upgrade on Longstaff or Willock and i say this as someone who has been advocating for Shelvey to be phased out for some time. It's just if he can be consistent

Edited by Tiresias

1 hour ago, Tiresias said:

I'd by and large agree, we were better when Rafa dropped him, but he did very well under Howe, I had thought we shouldn't trust him but if Howe can get a consistent tune out of him would be happy for him to be back. We were after a midfielder in summer but didn't get one, I imagine we will be back in January for one so unfortunately for him he does have shelf life but if he comes back he is certainly an upgrade on Longstaff or Willock and i say this as someone who has been advocating for Shelvey to be phased out for some time. It's just if he can be consistent

Considering the position we are in now, Jonjo Shelvey should be nothing more than a mascot. 

Rafa brought Shelvey in, Eddie brought Bruno in.

He was given an extended contract under Ashley. 

Not one Premier League club would take Shelvey right now.  

I've never liked him, and never will. 

1 hour ago, Nolberto Disco said:

Considering the position we are in now, Jonjo Shelvey should be nothing more than a mascot. 

Rafa brought Shelvey in, Eddie brought Bruno in.

He was given an extended contract under Ashley. 

Not one Premier League club would take Shelvey right now.  

I've never liked him, and never will. 

I think McClaren brought Shelvey in. Could be wrong like, can’t be arsed to check