Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

Shelvey would have been gone had he not played flawlessly with Diame on the back end of the first season back with Rafa and was getting some calls to be in the England team. I think it ultimately led to Merino thinking he had to leave, unfortunately.

Never understood why when we were safe Rafa never brought Merino back for final few games. If I remember correctly he didn’t even bring him off the bench, think that’s what tipped Merino in favour of going back to Spain. Whilst I’d take Rafa back in a heartbeat in the current situation, he also had a few blind spots like most managers.

When it comes to Rafa I'm happy to trust that he has his reasons. Was a shame it didn't work out with Merino, but a bigger shame it didn't work out with Rafa.

I think it's always worth considering that Merino was affected by the uncertainty surrounding Rafa's future.

Shelvey would have been gone had he not played flawlessly with Diame on the back end of the first season back with Rafa and was getting some calls to be in the England team. I think it ultimately led to Merino thinking he had to leave, unfortunately.

Never understood why when we were safe Rafa never brought Merino back for final few games. If I remember correctly he didn’t even bring him off the bench, think that’s what tipped Merino in favour of going back to Spain. Whilst I’d take Rafa back in a heartbeat in the current situation, he also had a few blind spots like most managers.

When it comes to Rafa I'm happy to trust that he has his reasons. Was a shame it didn't work out with Merino, but a bigger shame it didn't work out with Rafa.

I think it's always worth considering that Merino was affected by the uncertainty surrounding Rafa's future.

This. Rafa wasn’t trying to stomp on Merino’s career, he was trying to protect him and do what was best for him (and for Rafa too obviously)

The fact is, we couldn’t break up the Diame/Shelvey combo. They were too effective.

He was homesick too. Rafa didn’t have much option but to allow him to leave. He’s not going to get everything right but if you’re gonna trust a manager, Rafa is the one.

Weird how his best run of form at the club in the PL was with the manager he probably despises for not taking any lazy bullshit from him which culminated in the fanbase and many in the media clamouring for him to go to Russia in 2018.

Now he's the second biggest waste of time in terms of playing staff at the club behind Joelinton. What a mong.

• 3 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Paully said:

He's right we do have a good squad, that's why bring in a failed lower league manager with limited coaching ability from relegated Bournemouth saved our season, the gross mismanagement shown by the Steve's prior to Jones coming in was there for all to see.

I think the message needs spreading Jones saved our season not Steve Bruce.