Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

He will have learnt a lot more about the likes of Dimmett and Colback from a 1-0 defeat than a 1-0 win

How ?

Never to play the Colback again and that Anita and Dummett are just as bad - hope so anyway

Why would it take a defeat to se that. Just their performances should be enough, regardless of the result.

I agree with you it's the performance not the result but the result means it's probably higlighted more

To fans maybe. Any manager worth his salt see's performances regardless of the result.

Guest ElCid

Again I agree but I still can't fathom out why he selected that team in the first place - big Rafa fan but he droped a massive fuck up there

Again I agree but I still can't fathom out why he selected that team in the first place - big Rafa fan but he droped a massive f*** up there

and that's my worry, that he's too wedded to the 4-2-3-1 thing. Seems like he's playing the division instead of the match. (Only reason for playing Hanley)

Again I agree but I still can't fathom out why he selected that team in the first place - big Rafa fan but he droped a massive f*** up there

and that's my worry, that he's too wedded to the 4-2-3-1 thing. Seems like he's playing the division instead of the match. (Only reason for playing Hanley)

TBF, didn't Mbemba get an injury right at the end of preseason?  I'm hoping that's the case and it was more to do with him not being 100%.  He should be in the team if fit. 

Guest ElCid

TBF, didn't Mbemba get an injury right at the end of preseason?  I'm hoping that's the case and it was more to do with him not being 100%.  He should be in the team if fit. 

Agree - As I have said before to play that division you need to take the game to the opposition as we did under Keegan and Hughton - if we play negative away from home then I honestly don't think we wll go up. Fulham were nearly relegated and had lost their 2 best players so why on hell play negative and 2 (and I would say 3) defensive midfield players.

Guys need to remember that we had a pretty thin squad to choose from with De Jong, Moussa, Diame and Mitro (did I forget someone?) out. Aarons was the only attacking player on the bench. Armstrong is inexperienced. Playing Aarons from the start would have meant that we have pretty much no one to bring from the bench. We need wingers and a striker. I think the movement was poor anyway. That doesn't change by bringing Mbemba in place of Hanley. Chancel should start of course.

Guest ElCid

Guys need to remember that we had a pretty thin squad to choose from with De Jong, Moussa, Diame and Mitro (did I forget someone?) out. Aarons was the only attacking player on the bench. Armstrong is inexperienced. Playing Aarons from the start would have meant that we have pretty much no one to bring from the bench. We need wingers and a striker. I think the movement was poor anyway. That doesn't change by bringing Mbemba in place of Hanley. Chancel should start of course.

There were far better options available than Dummett, Colback and Anita and that's what people are getting at.

I do wonder about what Rafa's options were. Aarons came on and looked ineffective. Shelvey came on and was blowing out of his arse after 5 minutes.

I don't like Colback but i would have expected him to do better, i'm sure Rafa did too. I also thought Anita would have played better but he didn't, ditto Perez.

I still think we looked a better team than them for 2/3rds of the game. Then it got a bit desperate.

Shelvey looked to play forward passesand players will make more moves knowing someone is going to look for them. Mbemba for bringing the ball out would have been a game changer and we'd be starting 20yds further up.

Shelvey doesn't look like he has the fitness if we're honest. We're all hoping we sign a MF who can pass AND run around. I bet Rafa would love one too.

Maybe Mbemba wasn't fit. Given their striker was 6' 6'' i can understand why Rafa went for a taller CB partnership.

As long as the one is Colback then I'm all for it.

Seems Rafa prefers Colback to the others.  I'd just like them to be replaced. 

Bit early to say that IMO, expect him to be dropped for Huddersfield really.

He's picked Colback over Shelvey a few times now. 

Anita is seemingly a utility man for Rafa.  Don't think he's first choice anything except backup.

As long as the one is Colback then I'm all for it.

Seems Rafa prefers Colback to the others.  I'd just like them to be replaced. 

Anita moved into Colback's position and saw out the full 90 so I wouldn't be so sure. I think he's sussed Colback (maybe wishful thinking).

I'd keep Anita anyway, he just shouldn't be starting games when we're fully fit.

Rafa went to the fans forum, the minutes will be interesting.

From a lad I know there;

Really good crack, came across a lot better than his public persona.

He was honest and realistic, said the season would be tough and mistakes will be made but he was confident we would do well. Without naming names he wants Tiote and Sissoko out as they're not putting it in in training and he's not sure he can trust them in a match. Agents holding deals up to get more money for them and the players, could go right until the end of August before they leave. Reckons agents have all the power and control, he says he regularly gets 3 different agents touting the same player at 3 different valuations.

Wants another 2 or 3 in, knows Lascelles isn't the finished article as either player or captain but has put his faith in him, we'll have basically a new team come September and it may take time for them to gel. Some canny tales from his time at Valencia, Napoli and the dippers.

Seems genuine in his desire and determination to stay and get us back up and established again in the PL. Seems a top bloke and (I know this sounds fucking stupid) he was a lot more clued up than I thought.