Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

I thought when bringing Lascalles on we'd go to three at the back and push the full backs right on as an experiment type thing. Nope it was a flat back 5....then Colback. Too cautious, lets get after games and teams.

:lol:

Shutting the game down is a much better idea against Championship teams with little attacking fret. They don't have the ability to apply the same kind of pressure as better sides. I wouldn't want to see it every time but we really needed to just get the points bagged last night.

Shutting the game down is a much better idea against Championship teams with little attacking fret. They don't have the ability to apply the same kind of pressure as better sides. I wouldn't want to see it every time but we really needed to just get the points bagged last night.

we've also got a defence that gifts goals to the opposition due to the smallest bit of pressure.

Did it look at all likely that we would concede after those changes?

No

We didn't look like conceding before the changes either. The changes allowed Reading further up the pitch and more possession. We gave the ball away too easily and Dummett headed behind for a corner under no pressure at all. We need better footballers if we are to go that defensive.

I'd have taken Shelvey off, his work rate was better but after he hit that pass that led to the free kick for the 1st goal he again wasted the ball and possession by trying far too many 40 yard passes from the middle of his own half. I really do hope that we can replace him for a CM who can go past a man and carry the ball. I can see he's been praised by some but I don't see it. He's in a vital position and he's not what we need there.

Reading had a lot of the ball and were winning lots of corners for the 5 or 10 minutes prior to Lascelles coming on anyway; his introduction just meant we had an extra body in there to clear our lines, as Perez looked shagged by that point anyway and wasn't going to contribute much else.

I questioned it a bit at the time but it was a decent sub.

Did it look at all likely that we would concede after those changes?

No

Great question Yorkie, and good to hear hindutimes.

The nitpicking on here is hilarious :lol: we needed to preserve our first 3 points in this league more than ANYTHING else.

I love how Rafa is a bog fan of squad rotation. Clark was hit and miss yesterday, but that run out will have done him the world of good. It keeps players on their toes as well when they know that a drop in standards is going to see them benched.

I love how Rafa is a bog fan of squad rotation. Clark was hit and miss yesterday, but that run out will have done him the world of good. It keeps players on their toes as well when they know that a drop in standards is going to see them benched.

Hopefully Lascelles will up his game after being dropped yesterday.

Hopefully Benitez settles a back 4 soon. Three games, three different CB pairings. Argueably the position that profits the most from stability. Hopefully within a couple of games he has made a decision.

Hopefully Benitez settles a back 4 soon. Three games, three different CB pairings. Argueably the position that profits the most from stability. Hopefully within a couple of games he has made a decision.

I'm not sure he will unless we go the odd week where we don't have 2 games.

I forgot how quickly the games come around in this league, yikes!

Genuinely think Rafa is going to keep shuffling the pack to keep players fresh, and also to ensure everyone is involved and getting games, so they stay sharp.

I'm not sure he will unless we go the odd week where we don't have 2 games.

Yeah I think he'll have a preferred pair, probably Lascelles and Mbemba, but he'll be using the other two extensively as well. He seems more about systems than individuals.

Not sure where I saw this but I thought Rafa’s rotation was generally not in the spine of the team? He always seemed to have a core set of players through the middle, at Liverpool, but would rotate wider options a lot.

I could be wrong, but I think that might change with the championship where there are quite a few midweek games.

Article on Hart by Carragher.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3749475/Joe-Hart-12-months-prepare-Pep-Guardiola-don-t-feel-sorry-him.html

Maybe Guardiola's outlook on keepers is the same as Benitez. He never liked English goalkeepers and he would ask why they dived all over the place in training, when they only have five or six saves to make each game. Benitez was always of the opinion they should work more on their feet, positional play and decision making.

Does he see something different in Sels to our other keepers? Interesting snippet anyway.