Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

"Are we still favouring European markets for transfers?

For me, it doesn't matter where the player comes from, as long as he has the right mentality, character and the quality we need.

Sometimes it is true that there is better value in other countries in Europe but we look at players from every league, it does not matter the country.

We had a meeting with the scouting department at the start of the season to clarify the way to work and we constantly share information about players to be sure we can find what we need it doesn't matter where they are from."

absolutely bang on, suppose it helps when your manager isn't total shite as well

Aye that's what I mean, I don't think he's done much wrong and it sounds like he was fully committed, but signing for Palace was borderline retarded.

Anyway this is the best part of the interview for me (along with that transfer bit mojo posted):

Absolutely, we have to have strength in depth. We have two games a week, every few days there is a game and we know from experience and also from research that if players are playing as many games as this they will pick up injuries. The research proves that it is inevitable.

So, we have to do a few things. We have to rotate the squad. I have done this before at other clubs I have been at and it helps a lot to reduce the number of injuries because you can rest players and make sure they properly recover between games.

Also you have to have depth to the squad in every position to make a rotation system possible but also to give us cover when injuries do happen.

Finally, we have to have the proper medical and rehabilitation processes in place to get players back from injury safely - always - but as quickly as we can.

That is why we made some changes to our medical team and our facilities this summer and I'm really pleased with the job they are already doing, it is all important.

Changed my mind about Townsend, seems he's more of a thick cunt rather than a shan cunt.

He doesn't have any attachment to Newcastle he just wants regular games in the PL. Nothing to be annoyed about really.

I was more disappointed for him rather than annoyed. It seemed such a waste of an opportunity to play for one of England's most prestigious football clubs under a great manager...and for what? To play for a Grade A arsehole at a ramshackle club in London. It feels like a career tossed into the bin, but I can't hold it against him. Some people are just meant to be small time.

Changed my mind about Townsend, seems he's more of a thick cunt rather than a shan cunt.

He doesn't have any attachment to Newcastle he just wants regular games in the PL. Nothing to be annoyed about really.

I was more disappointed for him rather than annoyed. It seemed such a waste of an opportunity to play for one of England's most prestigious football clubs under a great manager...and for what? To play for a Grade A arsehole at a ramshackle club in London. It feels like a career tossed into the bin, but I can't hold it against him. Some people are just meant to be small time.

I guess for him time is short, because of his history of not playing regularly and his struggles to get in the England squad.

TBH it won't matter either way because he'll never do well enough at Palace for Big Sam to pick him.

Guest RafaelBenitez

Andros Townsend isn't a good player. I liked him purely because of the strong, positive words he was saying towards Rafa, that's all. Rafa knows it's not a big loss at all.

Andros Townsend isn't a good player. I liked him purely because of the strong, positive words he was saying towards Rafa, that's all. Rafa knows it's not a big loss at all.

Bang on mate.

"With Andros, I wanted to keep him because he was exactly the type of creative player that we could build the team around, but football is not always as easy as that."

Guest firetotheworks

Townsend's the only player that I'm disappointed about losing like. I'd understand if he hadn't gone to play for fucking Pardew at Palace, but then I suppose that choice is punishment for him enough in itself. :lol: