Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

I'll just pop this in the rafa thread, from .com

Don't panic!

United's demoralising start to life in the Championship has raised questions as to whether hopes of promotion and/or silverware are already fading this season.

We're glad to report that all is not lost and defeats in the opening two games reduce but don't extinguish prospects of an instant return to the top flight.

Since the Premier League was founded in 1992, no less than nine second tier clubs have endured similarly poor starts but recovered to gain promotion - four via the playoffs, three second places and two title winners.

Newcastle fans, players or officials in need of inspiration look no further than 12 miles down the road - with the mackems twice lifting the Championship trophy despite a shabby opening sequence of results:

Slow starters:

2012/13 Crystal Palace (playoffs) L L L W

2008/09 Burnley (playoffs) L L D D W

2006/07 mackems (champions) L L L L W

2004/05 mackems (champions) L W D L D L W

2001/02 West Brom (second) L L D W

1998/89 Bradford City (second) L L D L W

1995/96 Derby County (second) D L D L W

1994/95 Bolton (playoffs) D L L W

1991/92 Blackburn (playoffs) D D L L W

PS: It's also worth recalling that our 2009/10 season in the Championship ended in title success and an 11 point gap ahead of runners-up West Brom - and a massive 23 points in front of third placed Nottingham Forest.

United were promoted with 102 points, but Blackpool took the final playoff spot (and would gain promotion) with 70 points - 32 less than the black and whites. 

That campaign also started slowly, with an unconvincing 1-1 draw away at the Baggies.

I wouldn't class that as a bad result, they finished second and we were away from home.  I thought it was a good result at the time and you can't really draw comparisons as Fulham will not finish 2nd this season.

It wasn't a bad result, but we looked quite crap in that game iirc.

I think both Huddersfield and Fulham will do okay this year, they'll be mid-table/pushing for the playoffs imo.

In the grand scheme of things, we're two games in. I never take note of the table until after 10 games, because it doesn't usually take shape until then.

Was it Man Utd under Fergie who had a period of starting really badly? But then won the league anyway.

Some wider comments from him after the weekend:

“We have to improve in defence because we are making mistakes, we have to improve in the middle and move the ball quicker, and we have to improve in the final third because we were not precise.

“We didn’t have enough good movement and the right patterns to our play.

“We didn’t do what we’ve been doing in training sessions during the game.”

How do those quotes directly relate to playing Vurnon Anita on the wing? Where is the explanation for that? f***ing useless Rafa.

I think Anita is supposed to alter the patterns of play, dropping inside and allowing Janmaat to overlap while playing triangles with 2 defensive mids and attacking mid, with out and out winger the other side and also covering Janmaat runs.

Not that I like the idea, but I kind of get it.

How do those quotes directly relate to playing Vurnon Anita on the wing? Where is the explanation for that? f***ing useless Rafa.

I think Anita is supposed to alter the patterns of play, dropping inside and allowing Janmaat to overlap while playing triangles with 2 defensive mids and attacking mid, with out and out winger the other side and also covering Janmaat runs.

Not that I like the idea, but I kind of get it.

i said this myself in a couple of threads, anita clearly isn't being told to play wide at all...in his time with us we've seen he's able to get up and down and put a quality ball in from wide, but he's not even trying to do that, he's consistently coming inside and facing up for the ball into his feet

or at least that's what he did the entire time he was on the pitch saturday

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rafa-benitez-pours-cold-water-11747173

“It’s not just about the division, you know that when we play at home teams will be organised and play deep. They will play counter-attack.

“It’s nothing new that we should expect. It’s just more that we need to play with confidence to break down these teams.

“We need to do what we do in training sessions that we aren’t doing in the games.”

“We were nervous and we gave the other team the belief they could do something. Obviously, the two goals are something that’s difficult to explain.

“But the team still have to better. The second half was much better but still not enough to win this type of game.”

“Now we have to start again. We can blame each other or anyone but it doesn’t matter, we have to work harder and play better and be sure we don’t make the same mistakes in the next game.”

:thup:

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rafa-benitez-pours-cold-water-11747173

“It’s not just about the division, you know that when we play at home teams will be organised and play deep. They will play counter-attack.

“It’s nothing new that we should expect. It’s just more that we need to play with confidence to break down these teams.

“We need to do what we do in training sessions that we aren’t doing in the games.”

“We were nervous and we gave the other team the belief they could do something. Obviously, the two goals are something that’s difficult to explain.

“But the team still have to better. The second half was much better but still not enough to win this type of game.”

“Now we have to start again. We can blame each other or anyone but it doesn’t matter, we have to work harder and play better and be sure we don’t make the same mistakes in the next game.”

:thup:

He says it so diplomatically but I see veiled threats to his starting 11 in almost every sentence.

The start we've had seems to be a mixture of nerves, adjustment to the Champ and Rafas tactics for the new players, maybe even the weight of expectation imo.  I don't think the squad is that deficient, plus I can see us bringing in 2-3 more, the early season loss of Mitro is having an impact also. 

The one thing we should be reassured about is having this bloke as manager, he's a winner.  His record shows that his teams win matches and he will be working very very hard to put it right as I'm sure the players will be.  Having quality in the dugout and on the pitch usually shows through and I think it will sooner rather than later.

Imagine if after the years of our club sticking by the dross of Pardew, Carver and McClaren, despite their awful form, they sacked Rafa after just a few loses :lol: I'd go ballistic. But some on here (inc other threads) are talking about Rafa being sacked/should be sacked. Mental.

We're getting promoted this season and he'll win us a trophy, of some sort, during his time here. I'm confident of this...despite the online bed-wetting I'm seeing.

He relegated us. He's overseen two inept displays in the Championship, too. Time to move for Bruce while he's available. Knows the league inside out and will get the best out of Diame. It's a no brainer.

lol

Imagine if after the years of our club sticking by the dross of Pardew, Carver and McClaren, despite their awful form, they sacked Rafa after just a few loses :lol: I'd go ballistic. But some on here (inc other threads) are talking about Rafa being sacked/should be sacked. Mental.

We're getting promoted this season and he'll win us a trophy, of some sort, during his time here. I'm confident of this...despite the online bed-wetting I'm seeing.

Anyone who wants Rafa sacked basically has no clue about football.

:thup: Yet you can guarantee there'll always be a selection of our fan base that was happy with how things were going under Pardew. It really does baffle me.

Has anyone said they want him sacked ? Credit where it's due, criticism likewise.

Has anyone said they want him sacked ? Credit where it's due, criticism likewise.

that can't be right man, i can't accept anyone has said that after 2 fucking games

i think you should have a provide evidence to back that statement up tbh

All I've seen is people giving him a bit of criticism, as much as we all love him he does deserve a bit for some strange decisions.

Nobody wants rid of him and there's no need for any ridiculous over the top statements about his management or his future.

He is the best manager we'll get any time soon and I still have full faith he'll deliver to us what we want, but everyone makes mistakes and its OK to voice that, it doesn't mean I or anyone else who does wants him gone or hates him.