Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Kanji, relax. 

He has rotated less than expected.  We seem to have a core group of about 16 players - half of which are really battling for their shirt which is rare for us.  Then we've got another half dozen - including some big names like Chancel and Mitroeho are brought in when the others are tired or injured but the key here is they can actually earn and keep the shirt.

Another big thing is how few injuries we've picked up. We have the strongest squad in the league but we haven't needed it.

Being able to criticize our managers over the past 10 years has been so easy when they've been so hopelessly inept.

Now, I don't know how to respond to team selections because it's Rafa F. Benitez :)

Kanji, relax. 

He has rotated less than expected.  We seem to have a core group of about 16 players - half of which are really battling for their shirt which is rare for us.  Then we've got another half dozen - including some big names like Chancel and Mitroeho are brought in when the others are tired or injured but the key here is they can actually earn and keep the shirt.

Another big thing is how few injuries we've picked up. We have the strongest squad in the league but we haven't needed it.

Yeah, clearly we haven't needed it because of the rotation. another manager wouldn't have created so much depth in the squad and would have probably kept playing a winning team into the ground.

It's early days, but our rotation is much higher than other teams in the division.

He's definitely made things around NUFC not seem so goddamn fucking hopeless all the time. Unlike they have been for most of the last decade.

It's hard to even put in to words the night and day difference he's made in how I feel now on match days and the feelings of overwhelming despair and dread which I used to have. I expect the feeling is even more profound for people who actually get to matches :lol:

He's a fucking miracle worker.  He's brought back hope and unity to the club, he's tamed fat Mike, he's made Charnley seem almost acceptable, he's bringing 52,000 in every week and all this after relegation.  I feel better about the club now than I have since Hughton was sacked.  That's no mean feat.

the feelgood factor around the city is immense.

my kids have been told they will support the toon no matter what kits their friends are wearing or who their friends support.

so interesting to see how many of their friends are now turning their backs on the premiership teams and are switching allegiance to the toon over recent weeks, and doing it with pride.

and its down to his royal lushness, King Rafa.

A post on Red and White Kop Forum  :smitten:

Quote from: The 92A on Yesterday at 01:45:49 PM

Rafa is still loved in Liverpool because we witnessed him being stitched up by a backward looking Leauge Managers Association, that were all hanging on to the coat tales of Fergie, desperate to gain his approval by slagging of Rafa and his methods. Such beyond approach moral stalwarts as Allardyce, Moyses, and Neil Warnock tripped over themselves to see imaginary slights by Rafa and make their beefs public by running to their mates in the media. One of the most forward thinking managers in the game was reduced to a joke ridiculed as the Fat Spanish Waiter.

Andy Gray and the Sky train ran away each week disecting his methods with 'Hairy Hands' Richard Keys laughing at Rafa's stupidity in the background as he tried desperately to be one of the boys. Just happens, that all the things he got slated for are now standard practice in the Premiership, Benitez was just years ahead of his time; rotation, a mix of zonal and man to man marking, 4231.

Imagine being so negative as to only have one striker, eh Andy!

We never did any of that negative stuff in it my day, Richard,

Bang your daughters mate while you wifes got cancer but always 442 with two up top.

none of this one striker foreign shite for us!

Yes. Rafa got slagged for it all by backward looking football pygmies who repeated the football orthodoxies without an original thought in their heads.

We were told that a team containing Xabi Alonso, Mascherano, Arbeloa, were just a one man team consisting of Steve Gerrard, Good Job Barca and Real Madrid didn't think so, Guardiola said Benitez's Liverpool were the one team he dreaded meeting and we totally played Real Madrid off the Park, winning 4-0, yet only a few weeks before, while sitting in a bar in Madrid before the first leg, we were told that back home Sky had suspended betting on Benitez being sacked by Hicks and Gillete. Absolute madness and the background he had to manage in. Newcastle fans know how destructive it is to have civil war at a club, your're lucky to avoid relagation, and yet with that pressure going on, Rafa regulary got us to Champions Leauge Semis and Quarters. We won it in 05 and two years later he got us to another Champion Leauge Final, (another bit of luck... Andy Gray) but Rafa had ambition he wanted the club to match, he wanted to sign Silva, Javi Hernandez, Aguerro and Dani Alaves while they were still relatively cheap! (he was shit at indentifying players...) but was frustrated by short sited owners who could only see a cash cow to milk.

And that's not taking into account his totally getting the fans, his and Montse's love of the City, giving £96000 after he was sacked to the Hillsborough campaign groups out of his own pocket in stark contrast to the grubby money grabbing, morally outrageous instincts of some of his main detracters.

Most of us loved him but there were those even amongst our fan base that heard Sky Sports Siren call and welcomed Roy 'out for myself' Hodgson indentified by the football genius that was Christian Purslow as Rafa's replacement. Not suprising many of us wish him well, we have moved on with Klopp another of the games true original thinkers who also gets us and is prepared to go against the grain but Newcastle are very lucky to have a manger of Benitez's ability and integrity, just hope that no mark, 'Zero Hours' Ashley keeps out of things in the future when Rafa's ambitions demand a bit of forsight.

At the time I said the first club to match his anbitions and let him build his project would see a special side capable of dominating Europe, sadly although on the brink in 07, it was not to be us. Just hope Ashley doesn't show his true colours and lets him get on with the job matching his ambitions because if he does your in for one hell of a ride.

I just can't shake the doubt about what happens after promotion, will we back Rafa enough to realise the potential he gives us? I'll enjoy it for now of course, but Big Mike is always looming in the background.

Hopefully Rafa's got it written into his watertight contract that Mike will back him with significant funds upon achieving promotion

I just can't shake the doubt about what happens after promotion, will we back Rafa enough to realise the potential he gives us? I'll enjoy it for now of course, but Big Mike is always looming in the background.

I'm totally relaxed as he and Charnley know they have hit absolute gold with Rafa!

I think Ashley will stick to the original plan of the club being self-funding, which means Rafa will get all the available profits to spend as he sees fit. Should be a dramatic improvement on chancers like Pardew being handed players he hasn't got a clue how to use with no discernible long term plan in place.

Guest firetotheworks

I'm totally relaxed as he and Charnley know they have hit absolute gold with Rafa!

You would hope so like, but I wouldn't put anything past Ashley. One of the best things about Rafa is that he's made us all forget about that though. Hopefully Ashley has put 2 and 2 together and realised that as well.

I think Ashley will stick to the original plan of the club being self-funding, which means Rafa will get all the available profits to spend as he sees fit. Should be a dramatic improvement on chancers like Pardew being handed players he hasn't got a clue how to use with no discernible long term plan in place.

I think you are right. My gut feeling is Ashley has just said to charnley and Rafa- get on with it, I will put nothing in or take anything out, with the squad we had to off load- that should stand us in pretty good order, if we get back up.

The model has always needed the right man which they put subservience before ability. When money was eventually spent it was on players that the incumbent idiot was incapable of using and whose input you'd never trust anyway. Now you have a catalyst to make it work. There needs to be a reckoning should that go awry because of Ashley. That's for another time that will never come hopefully.

The model has always needed the right man which they put subservience before ability. When money was eventually spent it was on....

A lot of shit. That model has broken and it's for the best.