Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Hayden – who helped Hull City win promotion to the Premier League last season during a year-long loan at the KCOM Stadium – feels Benitez is making it “easy” for his players to tackle one of the hardest divisions in football.

“I think it’s just individual management,” said the Chelmsford-born player. “He’s so easy to talk to.

“It’s so easy on the training pitch. He knows when to be serious or when not to be serious and have a laugh.

“He engages really well with the lads and everyone takes on board what he says.

“Some things he says, you sit there and think and say ‘oh, OK’, and it hits you afterwards what he’s said. It’s incredible.”

Rafa certainly sounds as if he is a lot more relaxed with his players these days than he was at Liverpool.

Hayden – who helped Hull City win promotion to the Premier League last season during a year-long loan at the KCOM Stadium – feels Benitez is making it “easy” for his players to tackle one of the hardest divisions in football.

“I think it’s just individual management,” said the Chelmsford-born player. “He’s so easy to talk to.

“It’s so easy on the training pitch. He knows when to be serious or when not to be serious and have a laugh.

“Some things he says, you sit there and think and say ‘oh, OK’, and it hits you afterwards what he’s said. It’s incredible.”

Rafa certainly sounds as if he is a lot more relaxed with his players these days than he was at Liverpool.

People can only improve when they are humble enough to take on new things and accept change as they get older and gather more experience. This is what separates successful people like Benitez from shitehawks who keep doing the same thing all their lives/careers refusing to accept change or other ideas to improve themselves and their work.

Not sure the man himself has changed but obviously he's employing a totally different man-management policy here. Chalk and cheese. Totally understandable given the fact that virtually none of our players would have envisaged being in the Championship this season and need a different approach to the high-achieving and supremely confident Liverpool 2004-10 lot.

“I’ve never been involved in a unity like this in the dressing room, nothing like it. Last season was up and down. This season is completely different. Rafa has brought in some great signings and not just talented players but they’re great lads. Dressing room camaraderie is so important. It does go a long way. If you do things together away from the pitch then you’ll do it on the pitch for each other as well. That’s what we needed.”

- Lascelles

That's the sort of stuff we love to read about. Reminds me why we had to let the likes of Janmaat go last season. Good luck to him and Townsend, but they'll both be looking up the table at us next season wondering "what if...?"

Rafa was like that with most players, you'd often see him laughing with players on the training pitch. He's still not an arm around the shoulder man though. 

What NUFC don't have, and we did, were local players who thought they deserved to be told continually how good they were (ala, Houllier). You'd probably have a problem if Shearer was still there. You've seen it for yourself now anyway, when the players have played well Rafa will tell them where they went wrong, ever the perfectionist.  It's early days yet, hopefully your players will still feel the same two years down the line.

Players like Mascherano, Hamman, Reina, Luis Garcia, and others, all loved Rafa.  Even Xabi Alonso loved Rafa until Rafa tried to sell him.

Big egos his style has caused issues, but the players here must know they have lucked out to be managed by him in championship and will be keen to learn. Also it will always be with any manager, if they're winning on the pitch all the time the players can't complain about the methods. What's really encouraging to me is that the rotation doesn't seem to be causing any issues, players are sitting on bench and coming on and performing, and players aren't complaining about being subbed off or being left on bench one game. Everyone knows their job and seems to enjoy it. Lots of different players are scoring and performances are coming from everywhere.

I'm not sure if thats completely true he is still insisting on improving and saying we must improve despite sitting top of the league, which sounds a lot like what liverpool fans were saying (and is great by the way).

Big egos his style has caused issues, but the players here must know they have lucked out to be managed by him in championship and will be keen to learn. Also it will always be with any manager, if they're winning on the pitch all the time the players can't complain about the methods. What's really encouraging to me is that the rotation doesn't seem to be causing any issues, players are sitting on bench and coming on and performing, and players aren't complaining about being subbed off or being left on bench one game. Everyone knows their job and seems to enjoy it. Lots of different players are scoring and performances are coming from everywhere.

Yeah, totally agree. It's really encouraging that seems to be goals all over the team.

The bench tonight for the match was pretty strong for this level. We have a lot of options.

WWWWWWLWDWWWWWW :lol: :thup:

The players are really starting to find their feet. Organised and movement off the ball, each player knows their role and what their team mates are about to do. Don't remember the last time we looked fluid moving the ball around from our third to the last? :thup: Fucking amazing and loving every second of it right now.

Top class manager and top class bloke!

I wouldn't swap him for anybody!

He totally gets it and I hope he's here until he retires because if he is then we will definitely have ended our ridiculous trophy drought!

Nearly a sell out at home to a championship side in round 4 of the League Cup, if he gets us back up and competing imagine the feel good Factor around the place? I've never known this since Keegan briefly came back or before then Robson. Long term things are looking brilliant for us and it's mental that other club's fans can't see it.

Nearly a sell out at home to a championship side in round 4 of the League Cup, if he gets us back up and competing imagine the feel good Factor around the place? I've never known this since Keegan briefly came back or before then Robson. Long term things are looking brilliant for us and it's mental that other club's fans can't see it.

If we can get some decent commercial revenue going again we might get back to previous levels. "Might"

I loved how the attackers became very fluid as the game was more in our favor and the result pretty much settled. Almost as if the restrictions were off - go have fun and entertain the supporters.