Newcastle United vs Swansea City - Saturday 16th April 2016 @ 15:00 (No TV)

Figures 1-0 Football

Im happy with that selection. At this stage what is almost as important as anything is having players who can/ will have a bit of bite and run hard for 90 minutes. Up top we have 4 mercenaries and at least colback/ tiote behind them will put in a tackle, and hopefully not conceding will keep the heads up of those lads up top. I think that back 6 unit is in terms of desire/ passion arguably the strongest we have put out under rafa and at this stage having players who arent going to stop playing upon conceding will be as important as having a player with quality.

Soccer Saturday panel going mad at the Shelvey dropping... Merson: "You've got to play your big players'... totally ignoring he's been fairly anonymous since the West Ham game.

As said above, most of our players are playing sh*t, so I have no issue with Rafa trying other players.

Its sh*t or bust really, and the players who had their chances so far haven't stepped up.

Dummett can go to CB. Sissoko or Colback to LB. Mbemba to RB.  Plenty of defensive options, it's a good bench given the options.

Such an opportunity today. We will clearly fuck it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Norwich don't play until the 30th after today as well (and that's Arsenal away), we'll have played 4 times by then.  Fantastic opportunity, but aye obviously it'll get thrown away today.

I don't understand the Shelvey dropping either. He'd be well up for it against his old club, it's a bit of a slap in the face replacing him with either Colback or Tiote.

There isn't much a like about that team selection actually. Wijnaldum keeping his place? Sissoko keeping his place and being promoted to captain? They've both been dogshit man. De Jong and Perez must be furious. Cisse over Mitrovic is comfortably the worst though.

I would be over the moon to be made to look completely stupid mind.

I don't understand the Shelvey dropping either. He'd be well up for it against his old club, it's a bit of a slap in the face replacing him with either Colback or Tiote.

There isn't much a like about that team selection actually. Wijnaldum keeping his place? Sissoko keeping his place and being promoted to captain? They've both been dogshit man. De Jong and Perez must be furious. Cisse over Mitrovic is comfortably the worst though.

I would be over the moon to be made to look completely stupid mind.

There's nothing about Shelvey's demeanor on the pitch which makes think he will everbe up for it against any club never mind his previous one. He looks like a sulky twat who expects everyone else to do his running for him.

Shelvey has done nothing to justify his starting place. I'm reasonably happy that he's not starting because he rarely does enough.

Remind me what Colback offers?

He's as awful defensively as Shelvey and doesn't offer any creativity, which when he's interested, as he would be today, Shelvey does.

Dropping Shelvey is not good. He's not been great since West Brom but he generally sets something up for our forwards or makes something happen on some sort of basis most games. How the fuck Gini and, to a lesser extent, Sissoko get away with it week on week is beyond me.

At least Rafa is trying something different with the midfield as it has been shocking with Shelvey.

Hopefully we will be able to be more solid with 2 defensive midfielders,no point going gung-ho from the start.

Guest firetotheworks

Controversial line up. Wijnaldum shouldn't be starting and Mitrovich should be imo, but we'll see.

Shelvey has done nothing to justify his starting place. I'm reasonably happy that he's not starting because he rarely does enough.

He's as awful defensively as Shelvey and doesn't offer any creativity, which when he's interested, as he would be today, Shelvey does.

Colback is absolute shit it's true, but he's at least a body in central midfield who might get in the way of Swansea runners. I don't think Rafa trusts Shelvey to turn up. He's exactly the type of player who would just stand watching while an opposition player smacked a shot right past him.

Shelvey offers nothing and Colback offers nothing, I'm OK with Shelvey being dropped, I didn't say that I was happy with playing Colback but I can understand the decision.

We'll have to wait and see if it works out for us or not.