Newcastle United 1 - 1 Manchester City - Post-match relief from p.39

Kaizero

Absolutely cracking game of football that. No doubt that team/ workrate that turned out tonight would not be anywhere near the bottom if it had turned out every game. Really top class performance

Guest firetotheworks

Navas's crossing is absolutely shit though. He's a throw back to someone like Stuart Ripley or Keith Gillespie, albeit better but in a game that's very different to how it was then.

I think it's a bit too easy to blame the players for not doing this all season. Confidence/motivation should come from inside to a certain extent, but the entire culture of the club has been one of failure for so long, it's a bit much to expect the players to go out on a match day like they're playing for Ferguson's Man Utd.

Aye it's a bit much to expect highly paid professionals to give their all when they turn out once a week or occasionally twice.

It's just not human nature. Whatever your job is, you need to feel a sense of purpose and have some positive influence coming from somewhere.

Absolute tosh. Take in a Northern League game and you'll see players throwing themselves into challenges and playing like their lives depended on it with nothing really at stake and for little more than their travel expenses.

100% effort is a minimum requirement and a lot of players haven't given that this season.

Yeah but that would imply that success is the aim.

Explain success? Success for an Accrington Stanley player probably means something different to success for a Man City player. 100% effort should be mandatory regardless and if that had been given all season we all know we wouldn't be sat 2nd bottom and staring relegation in the face.

I think it's a bit too easy to blame the players for not doing this all season. Confidence/motivation should come from inside to a certain extent, but the entire culture of the club has been one of failure for so long, it's a bit much to expect the players to go out on a match day like they're playing for Ferguson's Man Utd.

It's just more people underestimating the difference the manager makes, tbh. For some reason it's still quite common.

It's just more people underestimating the difference the manager makes, tbh. For some reason it's still quite common.

I guess so, with the shit choice of manager being a symptom of running the club on the minimum up until now.

Mitrović replacing Cissé didn't have the impact I thought it would. I thought he'd be able to hold the ball up better.

The lack of a goalscoring centre forward is still going to be the thing that sends us down I reckon, Rafa has got the defence looking so much more solid, but he's seriously handicapped by his striking options.

Mitrović replacing Cissé didn't have the impact I thought it would. I thought he'd be able to hold the ball up better.

The lack of a goalscoring centre forward is still going to be the thing that sends us down I reckon, Rafa has got the defence looking so much more solid, but he's seriously handicapped by his striking options.

Think it's the 62 goals and counting we've let in that's going to kill us.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/35897338

Manchester City boss Manuel Pellegrini: "We knew it was going to be a very tough game. Newcastle are playing against relegation and they are at home.

"We created chances but not enough to win. Every game in the Premier League is intense and if you don't keep it up for 90 minutes you don't win games.

"It is very important now to make some rotation as we play at the weekend and then Real Madrid next Tuesday.

"Always in the Premier League every point is important if you want to reach your targets."

It's a shame he didn't decide to rotate his team for us rather than Stoke.

Anyone else think that Aguero just looked disinterested today? Even for his goal he just stood in an offside position and was lucky to have not been called up for it. After his penalty appeal, which he never bothered to appeal for he just lost interest, when his shot late on was saved his reaction wasn't really the sort of reaction you would expect.

Just got back, thought we played really well, especially Tiote and Anita. A week ago I wasn't arsed if we got relegated but now I'm desperate for us to stay in the division and finally it looks like we might actually be fighting to stay in it rather than just ambling towards relegation. Would have taken a point after 15 minutes but have a feeling that we really needed to win that one.

Referees and linesmen were absolutely appaling

Can't believe I've just sat and agreed with drink driving makem arsrhole Quinn,  and Henry has got to be the worst pundit on TV. What a waste of money.

An unpopular opinion I know, but Quinn does talk a lot of sense, and doesn't just spout cliches.

Henry's opinions, like Robbie Savage, are usually either obvious or wrong. Sometimes both.

And yeah, yeah, I should know.