Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Can see us keeping one of Tiote, Thauvin and Janmaat tbh. Cheick has been infuriating for years but willing to give him a chance under Rafa, not like we'd get much for him anyway.

Of those three, Tiote is the only one Rafa will want to keep IMO. I don't think he rates the other two much.

Can see us keeping one of Tiote, Thauvin and Janmaat tbh. Cheick has been infuriating for years but willing to give him a chance under Rafa, not like we'd get much for him anyway.

Of those three, Tiote is the only one Rafa will want to keep IMO. I don't think he rates the other two much.

Why do you think that about Thauvin?

Thauvin looks very much like an out and out wide man who thinks his only job is going forward. Rafa is all about shape, he won't want someone who leaves gaping holes behind him every time we lose possession. I hope Thauvin proves me wrong mind, I'd love to see him show some work rate this season. He certainly didn't in his few games last year.

Thauvin looks very much like an out and out wide man who thinks his only job is going forward. Rafa is all about shape, he won't want someone who leaves gaping holes behind him every time we lose possession. I hope Thauvin proves me wrong mind, I'd love to see him show some work rate this season. He certainly didn't in his few games last year.

Think it was the West Ham and Watford games he started and was all over the pitch trying to get involved, if that's any indication of what he's willing to do then he'll be fine following instructions I think. Never seen him in France like.

I don't think Lucas will come to NUFC, but if he did, Tiote + Lucas in the middle would be unreal!

I wanted Napoli to sign Tiote when Rafa was there, I think he's quality whenever I've watched him play.

In what world is Tiote - Lucas in midfield unreal?

Think it was the West Ham and Watford games he started and was all over the pitch trying to get involved, if that's any indication of what he's willing to do then he'll be fine following instructions I think. Never seen him in France like.

He was trying to get involved but he was pretty hopeless. His defending was clumsy and unconvincing, and he was too easily caught on the ball in possession. Granted that was early days, he could be a lot better with a season of English football behind him, I'm just going off what I saw.

I don't think Lucas will come to NUFC, but if he did, Tiote + Lucas in the middle would be unreal!

I wanted Napoli to sign Tiote when Rafa was there, I think he's quality whenever I've watched him play.

In what world is Tiote - Lucas in midfield unreal?

Not bad for a Championship pairing to be honest.

It would fall flat on its face tbh, the front 4 would need someone to initiate attacks and set them up. I'm sure Rafa knows that though and if Lucas did arrive he would never pair him with Tiote.

Not sure I totally agree with that. It depends how flexible he wants the players beyond those two to be. If we are playing a rigid formation then you may be right, but if we're going to have interchanging attacking players throughout games then it could work well.

Shirley no-one in their right mind can picture Tiote staying regardless of whether we get Lucas or not?

Why not? He did well under Rafa and selling him would force us to get another midfielder which would cost more than Tioté is worth. Rafa wants a big squad.

I thought it looked obvious he was going to China, I know it didn't happen in January but we were in desperate times. I just see the same thing happening with Tiote as what happened with Cisse, out of the blue signs for Chinese Club. Not saying he wouldn't be useful, we currently have Anita, Shelvey, Saivet, Colback who could play there and maybe young Hayden is his replacement?

It would fall flat on its face tbh, the front 4 would need someone to initiate attacks and set them up. I'm sure Rafa knows that though and if Lucas did arrive he would never pair him with Tiote.

Not sure I totally agree with that. It depends how flexible he wants the players beyond those two to be. If we are playing a rigid formation then you may be right, but if we're going to have interchanging attacking players throughout games then it could work well.

Someone still has to play the ball into those players, it would be just like England at the Euros where you had a load of players looking to either score or run but nobody playing them in. There's never been a 4231 that worked where at least one of the two was able to put the 4 in front into good positions when they receive the ball.

It's one of the reasons Arsenal fell apart at the end of last season once Cazorla went down, they had nobody playing the ball into Ozil and the likes.

Someone still has to play the ball into those players, it would be just like England at the Euros where you had a load of players looking to either score or run but nobody playing them in. There's never been a 4231 that worked where at least one of the two was able to put the 4 in front into good positions when they receive the ball.

It's one of the reasons Arsenal fell apart at the end of last season once Cazorla went down, they had nobody playing the ball into Ozil and the likes.

:thup: Especially because I presume a lot of teams in the Championship will be more defensive against us. I think Shelvey will be a very important player for us this season in that respect