Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Not really sure we needed to sign Murphy, Hanley or Gamez tbh

Aye, for example great idea to play nobody up front if Gayle, Perez and Mitrovic are injured and/or suspended at the same time.

May as well have a 100 man squad then

With our historic injury problems, it's not a bad thought.

Hanley was a good option to have coming into the season, like. Unfortunately for him, Lascelles and Clark have made that position their own; and when that continuity has sparked solidity, the position isn't really changeable.

Up front on the other hand, is changeable - even in spite of Gayle's form. There have been situations where we've been crying out for some variety up top, and it hasn't happened - that's why Murphy is a poor signing. He brings absolutely nothing to the table besides emergency cover and that's not enough imo.

I think if we are looking for fourth choice centre halves/third choice strikers, we should have been buying young players/ giving our own a chance who might be alright in the PL in the future rather than buying experienced players on higher wages who will be useless anyway once we go up. Gamez was just a needless signing, you don't need 5 experienced full backs

Those players don't really exist (that are good enough at that age and willing to come here and not play on a regular basis).

Part of thinking behind signing Gamez and Murphy is to add experience and leadership in the squad while also providing backup- we had a very young squad last season and Rafa clearer wanted a few older heads around the dressing room and training ground.

Aye, for example great idea to play nobody up front if Gayle, Perez and Mitrovic are injured and/or suspended at the same time.

Don't be fucking stupid.

Don't be fucking stupid.

What are the chances of three players getting injured that play in the exact same position at the exact same time? You have to take a small risk at some stage mate. Most of the bigger clubs have small-ish squads these days

When we played Brighton both Mitrovic and Gayle were injured which lead us to only having Perez available.  Perez actually got injured in the same game against Cheltenham as the other 2 but luckily he was available to play against Brighton. We all know Perez isn't a proper out and out striker.

We signed Murphy after that game

I think if we are looking for fourth choice centre halves/third choice strikers, we should have been buying young players/ giving our own a chance who might be alright in the PL in the future rather than buying experienced players on higher wages who will be useless anyway once we go up. Gamez was just a needless signing, you don't need 5 experienced full backs

Those players don't really exist (that are good enough at that age and willing to come here and not play on a regular basis).

Part of thinking behind signing Gamez and Murphy is to add experience and leadership in the squad while also providing backup- we had a very young squad last season and Rafa clearer wanted a few older heads around the dressing room and training ground.

:thup: Absolutely man, I bet those players haven't had any impact on our ability to sign other players too. No idea why people are complaining about us actually having a squad.

We should have been buying another central midfielder and winger rather than buying strikers and full backs we'd never need to use

I'm sure we would have it the right players were available and willing to come here at the right price.

Absolute nonsense to suggest we didn't sign another winger and another central midfielder in the summer because we signed Murphy and Gamez.

We should have been buying another central midfielder and winger rather than buying strikers and full backs we'd never need to use

I'm sure we would have it the right players were available and willing to come here at the right price.

Absolute nonsense to suggest we didn't sign another winger and another central midfielder in the summer because we signed Murphy and Gamez.

Nailed it again.

Rafa had to pretty much buy a whole new team last summer, ridiculous to think you'd cover off every single requirement in one transfer window.

Why would the price matter? We should have spent whatever we had to so that we wouldn't have to rely on players like Gouffran, an out of position Perez and Colback to start games

Why would the price matter? We should have spent whatever we had to so that we wouldn't have to rely on players like Gouffran, an out of position Perez and Colback to start games

You do realise we got relegated last season right? I know those players are not flavour of the month right now, but how many people were saying they wouldn't be good enough for the championship? Apart from Colback, I knew he'd still be a waste of a shirt but you don't pick a winner with every ticket you buy.

I'm not against having a massive squad per se. My point basically is that there's no point in having 4th choice strikers and 5th choice full backs when Colback's playing loads of games and alongside that Shelvey has always been a liability for suspensions/loss of form through his attitude

I'm not against having a massive squad per se. My point basically is that there's no point in having 4th choice strikers and 5th choice full backs when Colback's playing loads of games and alongside that Shelvey has always been a liability for suspensions/loss of form through his attitude

Football doesn't work like that.

So its just impossible to buy midfielders then? What midfielders did we get linked to in the summer that we didn't get?

So its just impossible to buy midfielders then? What midfielders did we get linked to in the summer that we didn't get?

That's not the point - you're saying there is no point in having back up players in others positions because we didn't sign more central midfielders - it just doesn't work like that.

In terms of CMs were linked with Lucas, Alex Pritchard, Marcos Llorente, Nabil Bentaleb, Will Hughes, Michael Carrick, Cheick N'Dpye - I am sure there were more.

That's not the point - your saying there is no point in having back up players in others positions because we didn't sign more central midfielders - it just doesn't work like that.

In terms of CMs were linked with Lucas, Alex Pritchard, Marcos Llorente, Nabil Bentaleb, Will Hughes, Michael Carrick, Cheick N'Dpye - I am sure there were more.

No, I'm saying that you have to sort out your first team and another 3-4 players before worrying about players who are barely going to feature. There's having a squad which I'm all for and then there's buying players in case 3 players in the same position get injured which is almost never going to happen. Most of the bigger clubs don't buy experienced players just in case half their squad gets food poisoning. None of those players were heavily linked at any stage, did we make a bid for any of those?

I was wrong in my initial post to include Hanley in that as I had forgotten Mbemba was going to the ACON

That's not the point - your saying there is no point in having back up players in others positions because we didn't sign more central midfielders - it just doesn't work like that.

No, I'm saying that you have to sort out your first team and another 3-4 players before worrying about players who are barely going to feature. There's having a squad which I'm all for and then there's buying players in case 3 players in the same position get injured which is almost never going to happen. Most of the bigger clubs don't buy experienced players just in case half their squad gets food poisoning. None of those players were heavily linked at any stage, did we make a bid for any of those?

I was wrong in my initial post to include Hanley in that as I had forgotten Mbemba was going to the ACON

Aye right on :lol:

Man City bought Fabian Delph to start every week like... Liverpool bought Lambert not long ago to play up front every game...

Man City bought Fabian Delph to start every week like... Liverpool bought Lambert not long ago to play up front every game...

Man City bought Delph because they needed an English player. He also featured 17 times last season in the league and has had bad injury troubles. Lambert featured 25 times for Liverpool in the league in his season there, neither comparable at all. That puts Lambert in the same ballpark as the amount of minutes Mitrovic will play by the end of the season at his current rate.

Man City bought Delph because they needed an English player. He also featured 17 times last season in the league and has had bad injury troubles. Lambert featured 25 times for Liverpool in the league in his season there, neither comparable at all. That puts him in the same ballpark as the amount of minutes Mitrovic will play by the end of the season at his current rate.

Featured 17 times :lol: Aye, in the cups when they've rested the entire team. How many minutes of PL football did Delph play? This season he has played 26 minutes.

Lambert featured heavily due to injuries due to other key players, never ahead of others. Which is exactly how Gamez, Hanley & Murphy will be used for us.

Those two players are two examples out of loads, if I wasn't in the car I'd pull a few others up but these are sufficient to prove your empty argument wrong.