Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Newcastle United boss Rafa Benitez says he is not expecting an early breakthrough in the January transfer window.

The Toon chief revealed the Magpies had already attempted to bring in a couple of new faces but had been unable to complete any deals just yet.

United have been linked with Ruben Loftus Cheek of Chelsea and Manchester City’s Fabian Delph but both Premier League clubs want more time to make their final decisions.

Yet Benitez did confirm he expects to see a signing in January - a month in which he will lose Mo Diame, Christian Atsu and Chancel Mbemba to the African Cup of Nations.

When asked about transfers, Benitez told the Chronicle: “I don’t see anything early because we tried a couple of things.

“Normally all of the teams are trying to do something so the agents wait a little bit and expect the best offer possible.

“I think we will see someone coming in, but I can’t say it will be on January 1.”

Benitez’s record in the transfer market at Newcastle has been impressive so far with successful signings such as Matt Ritchie, Dwight Gayle, Isaac Hayden, Ciaran Clark, Christian Atsu and DeAndre Yedlin.

Benitez also ensured there was plenty of cover in his squad with the additions of Achraf Lazaar, Daryl Murphy, Jesus Gamez, Matz Sels and Grant Hanley.

However, he will be looking for bigger contributions from his fringe players in 2017.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/newcastle-transfers-rafa-benitez-believes-12388198

He's better than Colback and would definitely improve us in this league. Wouldn't be inspiring in terms of the future though.

Aye pretty much this.

Almost anyone is better than Colback. I thought we were going to bed in players good enough for the Premier League.

He's an average premiership midfielder which is better than what we've got playing for us right now. Loan is ok but I'd be looking for better at the end of the season if we go up.

100 times a better signing than Murphy

As said last night, he'd be fine in this league, however, the Chronicle article about the bid is saying he would be brought in to cover Atsu when he's away and be considered as a wide player.

I know he's played out wide before but i'd hope we'd be signing him to challenge Hayden/Colback/Shelvey for a central role if he were to join.

As said last night, he'd be fine in this league. Chronicle article about the bid saying he would be brought in to cover Atsu when he's away and be considered as a wide player.

I know he's played out wide before but i'd hope we'd be signing him to challenge Hayden/Colback/Shelvey for s central role if he were to join.

Aye. We're crying out for a bit of pace and directness from the flanks, Cleverley wouldn't bring that if he was shifted out there.

6 month loan perfect. 11 goals in 33 appearances at this level. Think we could do better in the summer mind.

a goal every 3 games from a central midfielder is just what we need to cement our promotion hopes. Loan til the end of the season whilst looking to sign Loftus-cheek in the summer?

He'd probably be an improvement on Colback as back up too, so wouldn't be opposed to a permanent deal.