Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Newcastle ‘agree’ terms with Pepe Reina.

One well-reported transfer story has been advanced on Thursday, as it’s been claimed that Newcastle are closing in on a Liverpool old-boy.

The focus of the transfer news is Napoli stopper Pepe Reina.

Reina’s position at Napoli has come into question in recent days after the 34-year-old stopper fell out with the club’s president Aurelio De Laurentiis.

The breakdown happened after De Laurentiis stood up at the club’s end of season dinner party, turned to Reina, and told him he “has to to give up some outside distractions to become stronger”.

Yolanda Ruiz, the goalie’s wife, was at the event, and she reportedly got up and walked out at that point.

De Laurentiis reportedly tried to insist he was just making a joke, however that explanation fell on deaf ears.

Reina’s Napoli contract expires in 2018, but many now believe the keeper could leave the club this summer instead.

Update from Tancredi Palmeri

Italian reporter Tancredi Palmeri has reported on Thursday that Newcastle have now agreed terms with Reina, who obviously has a working relationship with Rafa Benitez from their time at Liverpool.

It’s also worth noting that reports in Italy this week claimed Polish keeper Wojciech Szczesny, who has spent the year on loan at AS Roma, is poised to leave Arsenal to join Napoli in the off-season.

I think Reina would be a great signing, we need that experience seeing we're freshly back in the prem.

Unsure what I'd do with our other keepers though, other than selling Selz.

I think Reina would be a great signing, we need that experience seeing we're freshly back in the prem.

I think Woodman has a huge future so maybe he'd be better off learning from Reina rather than going out on loan?

Sels and Krul will definitely go and maybe one of the other two IF Reina signs!

I think Woodman has a huge future so maybe he'd be better off learning from Reina rather than going out on loan?

Sels and Krul will definitely go and maybe one of the other two IF Reina signs!

How much can a keeper realistically learn from Rafa? At that age I think it's much more important to be playing every week

If Reina comes in Selz, Krul and Darlow will likely all leave. Was quite telling Rafa dropped Darlow almost as soon as Elliot was able to play again.

I think Reina would be a great signing. Everyone says we're well stocked in the GK dept but there's question marks over every one of them. Krul's form dipped alarmingly prior to his loans, and he seemed to be going through the motions.. see the smiling with Defoe episode.

I don't really want Reina, i don't think he'll be much better than Darlow, i get the experience bit and he was a far better GK a few years ago, but now he's on his way down as a GK.

If we are to sign a new one, then aim for someone far better than just marginally better than what we already have.

I don't really want Reina, i don't think he'll be much better than Darlow, i get the experience bit and he was a far better GK a few years ago, but now he's on his way down as a GK.

If we are to sign a new one, then aim for someone far better than just marginally better than what we already have.

Haven't seen Reina in years but i have a hard time believing he's only marginally better than Darlow tbh.

Haven't seen Reina in years but i have a hard time believing he's only marginally better than Darlow tbh.

Been more than up to it at Napoli..

I always thought he was one who could drop a bollock at any time, as could most to be fair.

Just not too sure about him.