Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The amount of dross on our books was always going to be a major issue this summer. Like it or not, we're not going to pay players not to be in the squad and lounge around collecting their wages. Therefore we need to find clubs to take them.

It's massively grating me that this is a major blockage. Majority of the dross Rafa has inherited and it's Ashleys horrendous bargain buying that's caused it.

The amount of dross on our books was always going to be a major issue this summer. Like it or not, we're not going to pay players not to be in the squad and lounge around collecting their wages. Therefore we need to find clubs to take them.

It's massively grating me that this is a major blockage. Majority of the dross Rafa has inherited and it's Ashleys horrendous bargain buying that's caused it.

If it's proving to be a blockage then you have to wonder what incentive there is on our part to remove it? Are we looking for unrealistic fees for deadweight like Riviere? If there's no demand then we have to get them out at a loss. This must be the sort of stuff that Rafa is hinting at when he talks about actual money to spend. It wouldn't be so bad if other clubs like Everton had owners who played by the same rules.

Unsurprisingly theres not a lot of interest in our deadwood.

You'd think that we could find buyers for Darlow and Hanley.

Krul, Saivet, Riviera, Haidara and maybe even Lazaar may have to be sent on loan, with us paying a proportion of their wages still as they haven't exactly impressed anywhere lately. Also Gamez possibly.

That leaves Mitrovic, Colback, Diame and Mbemba as the only real saleable assets. Can't (unfortunately) see Rafa getting rid of Colback or Diame this summer, think Mitro may well be sold.

That would leave us with 20 senior players, and needing a new GK, LB, CM, CF and hopefully no10.

Lot of work to be done if we want to be prepared for the season.

Tempted sticking a fiver on Leicester at 16s, the wheels have got to come off at some point, new manager bounce in Shakespeare will subside, Huth and Morgan have got to die eventually, Mahrez off and Vardy off the boil perhaps..

3 weeks till the first game. Squad looks seriously shit.

Certs for relegation in my eyes

At the end of last season 8 points separated 8th and 17th in the Premiership. I'd say the top clubs of the Championship aren't much difference in squad quality to the bottom 8 or so teams of the Premiership.

A lot of players are loaned out near the end of the transfer window. Our squad could look very different by the end of the window.

Newcastle at worst only have to stay ahead of Huddersfield, Brighton and one other team. Hopefully we'll be able to aim our sights higher than that though.

Was looking at those betting odds earlier - bookies have us on average finishing 15th, although that probably factors in further assumed spending - get to the start of the season with no more in and I would expect to see those odds change.

If we go into the season without strengthening in key positions we'll get what we deserve. As it stands we're having to hope that players who have struggled in the PL before will now be good enough to get us to around 40 points. I just don't see it. We struggled quite a bit at home last season and our away form was based on keeping out second rate attacks and us taking some of the chances that came our way. We were relegated with better players than we've currently got.

If we go into the season without strengthening in key positions we'll get what we deserve. As it stands we're having to hope that players who have struggled in the PL before will now be good enough to get us to around 40 points. I just don't see it. We struggled quite a bit at home last season and our away form was based on keeping out second rate attacks and us taking some of the chances that came our way. We were relegated with better players than we've currently got.

Agree but a lot of teams just sat back and hit us on the break in the Championship. Apparently Rafa prefers his teams to be counter attacking teams. We didn't get to do that much in the Championship. Not many teams are going to sit back against NUFC in the Premiership. Time will tell if this squad can cope with being attacked better than they could breaking stubborn teams down.

Was looking at those betting odds earlier - bookies have us on average finishing 15th, although that probably factors in further assumed spending - get to the start of the season with no more in and I would expect to see those odds change.

Nah people underestimate how bad the bottom of the league is, unless we get really unlucky with injuries we'd probably stay up as is. That's nowhere near good enough though.