Wor Flags: visit worflags.org.uk/donate to support future displays

wor jackie

Only way to get the atmosphere back (during the game)  is a standing / singing sections 

Maybe in a few areas of the ground so we generate more noise in different parts of the ground 

When I am in the in the gallowgate I always leave thinking the atmosphere was half decent (ish) 

if I sit in the Leazes / Milburn / east stand it’s flat as a fart and quite hard to hear the gallowgate.

Hope on the pitch is the best place to pick up noise from all sides. Guessing you really need a low roof extending close to pitch size for best acoustics. Must be a known issue and hopefully any new stand, or even ground, developments take that into account as much as capacity and aesthetics. 

I know it is incredibly naff, but increasingly I do think that the answer to this (as well as standing areas) is probably if a group emerged that were up for bringing new chants and reviving old ones in the ground,  having some sort of visibility, bringing things like drums, megaphones etc like they have in Europe. I love it when the ground is spontaneously rowdy but that doesn’t really happen that many times.

15 minutes ago, AJ9 said:

I know it is incredibly naff, but increasingly I do think that the answer to this (as well as standing areas) is probably if a group emerged that were up for bringing new chants and reviving old ones in the ground,  having some sort of visibility, bringing things like drums, megaphones etc like they have in Europe. I love it when the ground is spontaneously rowdy but that doesn’t really happen that many times.

With you all the way apart from drums and megaphones.

The old signing corner in L7 was great for that, but the noise never really travelled. A standing/singing section(s) is needed.

On 22/09/2022 at 09:56, AJ9 said:

#worchants, you say?

On 22/09/2022 at 09:56, AJ9 said:

Not sure if megaphones and drums would ever happen here but this season I've been to 2 Bundesliga games and one Eredivisie match where they were used and tbh all 3 grounds pissed on SJP for atmosphere.

Bayer Leverkusen v Hoffenheim, hardly a massive game, 26k there.l, small away following. Leverkusen lost 3-0 yet the crowd was jumping all game even at 3-0 down. They have a terrace behind one goal whuch maybe holds around 3k with seating above it and they literally never stop all game. I must say the use of the a megaphone here worked really well.

Next up Eintracht Frankfurt v Cologne. Again they have a terrace behind one goal which maybe holds 8 or 9k with seats above it. A megaphone was once again used and the atmosphere was electric. There was a big away following at this one and they also contributed enormously. 

Lastly I was at PSV v Feyenoord at the weekend. No megaphone but a drum at this one. They have rail seating behind one goal instead of the traditional terracing like in Germany and again they have 3 or 4k in the lower tier behind one goal who never let up all game. There was a fantastic atmosphere at this one helped as well by the 4-3 scoreline I'd admit!

Firstly I will say that having a huge area behind one goal where like minded, noisy fans can congregate makes a massive difference. They are very audible across the entire stadium which in turn gets the rest of the crowd up.

Secondly the design of the stadium clearly makes a massive difference. All 3 stadiums due to their design are conducive ro a far better atmosphere than SJP is. PSV especially with 4 separate, very steep stands which are all roughly the same height makes it feel like the fans are right on top of the players. It must be a very intense place for an away player.

Whilst there's little we can do about the acoustics at SJP I think it's vital we get the noisy fans in a more prominent position directly behind the goal. I've witnessed the impact this can have myself. A couple of hundred fans in the Corner is like a drop in the ocean comparatively and just doesn't have the impact.

The atmosphere generated by megaphones, drums and whatnot abroad in places like Turkey is incredible. You know it'd never be like that if it someone tried it here. It'd be a massive cringe. The band at England games for example.

Aye not over keen on megaphones and that kinda stuff tbh

A singing end would be ideal at the gallowgate but i can't see enough people having the appetite for it. The likes of Leeds and even Man utd get full ends standing at times which definitely leads to better atmospheres.

We are lucky if we have 200 in the full stadium. The leazes level 7 corner used to have about 2 or 3k stood and that was like an away end at times. Just a shame the rest of the ground never carried it on so the atmosphere never travelled

2 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Is Wor Beer off now? @Heron Sat in the Bodega as I type this and its not on anymore. Just the one pub of a sample size, mind.

Nar na, third batch coming out in the next fortnight or so I believe. The original 6 bars have probably sold out then the next 4 or so will likely still have it.