Dwight Gayle (now playing for Derby County)

astraguy

How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?  

656 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?

• Delighted
    • Happy
    • Mixed emotions
    • Unhappy
    • The club is a joke

I feel what is more worrying is Gayle is both mentally and physically hamstrung, yet still gets picked ahead of our local Serb.

Are we gonna be stuck with both, not able to raise interest due to an injury and a lack of trust, respectively?

I feel what is more worrying is Gayle is both mentally and physically hamstrung, yet still gets picked ahead of our local Serb.

Are we gonna be stuck with both, not able to raise interest due to an injury and a lack of trust, respectively?

There'll be plenty of teams willing to take Mitrovic or Gayle.

Would personally rather keep Mitrovic though.

I’m not heartbroken. He earns plenty of money regardless.

Heartbreaking, right.

Why would you not feel for someone if their short career is shortened further? Oh! Because they get paid a lot of money. Makes sense if you’re bitter or jealous, but doesn’t make sense if you have any empathy for someone who has always been a footballer, has had exceptional talent, has done great things for your club, and may be facing the horror of not being able to use his talent; be let down by his body. It is/would be tragic for the lad.

I've always thought Gayle was good enough for the PL but I don't know if he can recover from that injury last season.

fwiw, here's some great analysis about how strikers at promoted clubs fare in the next season. It's very rare for them to thrive, with Andy Carroll being the best example. Based on 32 players, the calculated drop in goals is 40%, which would make Gayle still useful in the PL if he can get fit.

https://experimental361.com/2017/07/15/how-do-goalscorers-fare-after-their-team-is-promoted/

He’s just unfit isn’t he? Don’t think we need loads of analysis, the guy can’t run.

Yup. He's just been unlucky in 2017 with injuries and because of it has lost confidence in his body. Very similar to Sturridge. Could get over it next time he returns, could plague him for years but its not uncommon and he certainly isn't finished. Not yet, anyway.

More worrying for him is that he doesn't fit Rafa's style, Joselu does. Wonder if Gayle could drop back in to the 10 role or go out wide while he regains fitness and form?

He bulked up in the summer, this has contributed to him slowing down. Plus the levels of fitness th CBs and fullbacks in the premiership are at is another level. Most have no fat on them whatsoever. As a striker in this league you are really up against it.