Matt Ritchie: Released (Official)

Fenham Mag

Hope he does really well somewhere else. Glad there's never a chance of him coming on in a Newcastle shirt now though.

Can't hate him, just not good enough these days. I feel like today is a bit of a turning point for us.

Anyway, I don't care what anyone says, I fucking loved him. Probably part fuelled by me tuning out of the Bruce years just as much as it's fueled by the Rafa years like, but I was really fond of him nonetheless. 

Can see him coming back to SJP in some capacity if Eddie Howe remains as a coach (maybe u18s/21s etc). 

Clearly he's thought of as a great professional and role model.

I always liked Ritchie, worked hard, very competitive. Saw an interview with one of our players who mentioned how good he was at helping the younger players.

It is time now though for him to be put out to stud and focus on creating the next generation of Eddie Howe Mini-Me's.

I saw someone on Twitter saying he'd be remembered in a similar bracket to Nolan in years to come but I think he's given a lot more to the cause than that, not just in terms of tenure either.

Can sort of see why - got us back up, helped us consolidate, difference is he hung around / wasn't moved on. But I think Ritchie was much more of a leader and a grafter and better behind the scenes.

Best of luck to the radge bastard. Would love to see him back coaching or as an ambassador one day.

43 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Hope he does really well somewhere else. Glad there's never a chance of him coming on in a Newcastle shirt now though.

Can't hate him, just not good enough these days. I feel like today is a bit of a turning point for us.

My thoughts. Statement of intent and we’ve bought nobody yet :indi:

Excellent servant to the club all in all, as with many of his generation of players tainted with the general malaise and lack of ambition of the era but that's not his fault. Didn't he try and punch Bruce at one point and Bruce was in such a weak position couldn't freeze him out of squad for it. Can leave with head held high.

Was it Matty Longstaff he was braying on the back of the head after a goal and he had to turn around and tell him to stop? [emoji38]

28 minutes ago, Pilko said:

I saw someone on Twitter saying he'd be remembered in a similar bracket to Nolan in years to come but I think he's given a lot more to the cause than that, not just in terms of tenure either.

Can sort of see why - got us back up, helped us consolidate, difference is he hung around / wasn't moved on. But I think Ritchie was much more of a leader and a grafter and better behind the scenes.

Best of luck to the radge bastard. Would love to see him back coaching or as an ambassador one day.

Much better footballer and professional (in terms of his own health and fitness) than Nolan was as well. 

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

Who was it that had the 'flags die God laughs' avatar? :lol: Quite often remember that and laugh more than I probably should. 

I remember @Darth Crooks had one with Ritchie as a member of Westboro Baptist Church with a signing saying God Hates Flags

Genius

He came here did a great job under 3 very different managers and left, top professional that won't be forgotten. 

He's been a great professional and was a really good player for us in the first couple of seasons he was here.

Always liked him regardless and wish the bloke nothing but the best.

Good luck Matt. Gave your all for the club and it seems everyone at the club had nothing but good to say about you.