Matt Ritchie

Fenham Mag

No disrespect to Richie but we've been pretty lucky with our injuries this season. Most of the bad ones have either been on people we could carry (e.g. Krafth instead of Trippier) or well timed (Isak getting his injury just as Wilson returned from his) etc. Now we get two (short) season enders and they're to our backup CB and backup backup LW.

• 3 weeks later...

Hopefully on reduced wages.  I am all for having good characters in the dressing room but not at the expense of players on the pitch.

Edited by duo

He's obviously a big presence behind the scenes. Whenever I managed to get to games this past season I was always struck by how often he was 'warming up' all game, basically using it as a chance to bark instructions. Feel like he and Lascelles were both relied on by Howe and Tindall to get messages/coaching across to areas of the pitch they were too far away from. 

I wonder if these mean we might be shifting Lascelles?

I think they'll both be moved on eventually, but I wonder if we're wary of getting rid of too many dressing room leaders at once. 

Edited by The Prophet

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

You reckon? I'd be surprised if he's on more than £50k and I doubt his new contract will be on that. 

He was on just below what Shelvey was on. Obviously Bruno, Trippier, and Isak will have surpassed him since the takeover, but he’ll still be one of our higher earner.

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Dummett will go surely now though? All for having 'spirit' but we can't carry 2 squad places on Dummett and Ritchie at the level we're playing at now?

Do we need him for the UEFA home grown quota? I guess it depends what we're doing with Miley and Anderson. 

6 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I wonder if these mean we might be shifting Lascelles?

I think they'll both be moved on eventually, but I wonder if we're wary of getting rid of two many dressing room leaders at once. 

Lascelles is coming into the last year of his contract now. I think next summer would be the natural time for him to leave.

1 minute ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

I thought he was pushing to leave last year? Seems strange he would just practically give up on playing football. Could do a great job for most Championship teams. 

Might have an eye on a coaching role after next season 

You see him being a leading figure in the coaching sessions whenever they put any vids out from training. He's vocal and present on the sidelines more than a sub would ordinarily be, and he's always on the pitch after games talking to at least one of the players. Arm round them walking off. Think it's clear what his role is within the club and if he's as highly regarded by the rest of the players as it sounds then sounds like a good move to me. I think going in to next season, given the big changes that will be being made not only in players but games, likely club staff, standing, expectations etc, it's a good idea to have some continuity from this season in amongst all that. 

Edited by Super Duper Branko Strupar

19 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

You see him being a leading figure in the coaching sessions whenever they put any vids out from training. He's vocal and present on the sidelines more than a sub would ordinarily be, and he's always on the pitch after games talking to at least one of the players. Arm round them walking off. Think it's clear what his role is within the club and if he's as highly regarded by the rest of the players as it sounds then sounds like a good move to me. I think going in to next season, given the big changes that will be being made not only in players but games, likely club staff, standing, expectations etc, it's a good idea to have some continuity from this season in amongst all that. 

After the Leicester game he had his arm around Isak and he was gesturing about his dribbling and as Maxi began listening he told both of them something like keep doing that, you two are unstoppable on the dribble and then kept talking to them about whatever. 

I'm not even going to question ANY older heads given more time here at the club; it's all intentional and Howe will have thought deeply on it with the coaching staff and had a word with Ashworth, et al. 

Edited by Kanji

51 minutes ago, Stifler said:

He was on just below what Shelvey was on. Obviously Bruno, Trippier, and Isak will have surpassed him since the takeover, but he’ll still be one of our higher earner.

Capology have got him as our 15th highest earner. And obviously he’d drop further if this new deal was at a lower rate.

Edited by SteV