Newcastle United promoted back to the Premier League

Figures 1-0 Football
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Could really do with 7 points from next 3 games to get us going. We need to sort out Sissoko sale and reinvest quickly. I am hopeful Mitro well really help, I wanna see how him and Gayle play. Poor start, must improve.

Keep reading this but given player sales we've spent fuck all.

exactly, would be a statement from the club to go and spend now then get rid of sissoko when we've sorted what we need

basically reverse the last 7-8 years of our transfer strategy

Could really do with 7 points from next 3 games to get us going. We need to sort out Sissoko sale and reinvest quickly. I am hopeful Mitro well really help, I wanna see how him and Gayle play. Poor start, must improve.

exactly, would be a statement from the club to go and spend now then get rid of sissoko when we've sorted what we need

It seems a bit suspect, i know we've just been relegated but I was expecting a significant investment this summer and so far we've seen fuck all.

It seems a bit suspect, i know we've just been relegated but I was expecting a significant investment this summer and so far we've seen fuck all.

thing with rafa he'll know the squad is massive though and that it needs cutting down, i don't for a second think the club are acting against his wishes but i imagine like a lot of us he's probably been taken aback by just how shit some of the player we have actually are

i'll be mortified if we don't see a proper CM, LB, ST and winger before the window closes regardless of outgoings, and if we don't get them i think we'll struggle to go up personally

thing with rafa he'll know the squad is massive though and that it needs cutting down, i don't for a second think the club are acting against his wishes but i imagine like a lot of us he's probably been taken aback by just how shit some of the player we have actually are

i'll be mortified if we don't see a proper CM, LB, ST and winger before the window closes regardless of outgoings, and if we don't get them i think we'll struggle to go up personally

Think we will get a striker and a winger at the most, probably squad players actually.

Wood love us to make a statement and sign a player capable of getting us 25 goals.

Think we will get a striker and a winger at the most, probably squad players actually.

Wood love us to make a statement and sign a player capable of getting us 25 goals.

suspect we might use loans the closer it gets to the end of the window as well, maybe buy a couple loan a couple (like galloway)

Got to remember we've had to release some players who were on big wages like Taylor, Obertan and Marveaux, then there'll be others like Rivieri and Gouffran still clogging up the squad numbers. Just because someone's mate reckons Rafa hinted that Tiote and Sissoko were the two players we were desperate to get rid of, doesn't necessarily mean it's fact.

I've gone down to thinking we 'might' go up, from being more-or-less certain we would. It's going to be really hard. That truly abysmal start has proven that there's still loads wrong. There's already too many new players to get going right away yet we still need at least two more.

I'm dropping to a 4, if we get beat off two of the teams that struggled in the division last year, then really where is the hope ? Too much wrong with this team and tbh, we've not bought as well as I hoped we would. Disappointing from Rafa, but typical Newcastle, as a club we just can't catch a break. Hire a CL winning coach and can't get out of the championship ! I think it's a two year rebuild, but no doubt we'll be rebuilding again next summer as Rafa won't stick around, hope I'm wrong but I feel we may be heading back to where we were in the 80's as a club, Ashley though will sell up if we don't go back up immediately this time, that could be a good or bad thing, depending on if we end up with another McKeag, Seymour Jnr, Westwood, Forbes type owner, despite Ashley's many faults he was a hell of a lot better than that era ownership.

I'm dropping to a 4, if we get beat off two of the teams that struggled in the division last year, then really where is the hope ? Too much wrong with this team and tbh, we've not bought as well as I hoped we would. Disappointing from Rafa, but typical Newcastle, as a club we just can't catch a break. Hire a CL winning coach and can't get out of the championship ! I think it's a two year rebuild, but no doubt we'll be rebuilding again next summer as Rafa won't stick around, hope I'm wrong but I feel we may be heading back to where we were in the 80's as a club, Ashley though will sell up if we don't go back up immediately this time, that could be a good or bad thing, depending on if we end up with another McKeag, Seymour Jnr, Westwood, Forbes type owner, despite Ashley's many faults he was a hell of a lot better than that era ownership.

I wasn't around back then (not as a NUFC fan anyways), but I have trouble imagining all of them being worse than having a frigging billionaire owner who claimed he bought the club to have it challenge the top four yet managed to get it relegated instead, not once but twice, inside ten years leaching it for all its worth in the process. With regards to Ashley, keeping Rafa on board was a masterstroke in terms of taking the sting out of relegation and deflecting criticism for years of mismanagement which caused it, but if this  promotion chase doesn't work out and Rafa leaves for pastures new it will be very interesting to see what his next move will be, and how the fans will react.

I wasn't around back then (not as a NUFC fan anyways), but I have trouble imagining all of them being worse than having a frigging billionaire owner who claimed he bought the club to have it challenge the top four yet managed to get it relegated instead, not once but twice, inside ten years leaching it for all its worth in the process. With regards to Ashley, keeping Rafa on board was a masterstroke in terms of taking the sting out of relegation and deflecting criticism for years of mismanagement which caused it, but if this  promotion chase doesn't work out and Rafa leaves for pastures new it will be very interesting to see what his next move will be, and how the fans will react.

In that era the ownership didn't have any resources at all, they weren't imaginative with generating income, just happy to live off the fat cat that was nufc, the one moment of any real desire to be anything more than what we had become was the Keegan signing. But once promotion was secured it was back to the old ways, selling our best players to build stands, employing bad and underqualfied managers, just eeking by, there was a reason why during that period we saw our crowds plummet, there was really little point going to the games. Seriously Ashley's lack of ambition in the past is nothing compared to that bunch.

In that era the ownership didn't have any resources at all, they weren't imaginative with generating income, just happy to live off the fat cat that was nufc, the one moment of any real desire to be anything more than what we had become was the Keegan signing. But once promotion was secured it was back to the old ways, selling our best players to build stands, employing bad and underqualfied managers, just eeking by, there was a reason why during that period we saw our crowds plummet, there was really little point going to the games. Seriously Ashley's lack of ambition in the past is nothing compared to that bunch.

I will take your word for it, even though it sounds like the previous incumbents didn't really have the means to drive the club on if they so desired in any case, which can't be said for wor Mike sadly. I appreciate the Rafa signing/retaining is a rare sign of competence (brought about by the impending doom of falling off the PL gravy train), but the signing was too late and if Rafa isn't provided with the tools he needs and decides to walk it will all have been futile anyway.

Still think we'll be champions. We need to go on a run starting tomorrow and I think we'll be top come the end of September. We've the best manager in the league and some of the best players. Improvements just need to be made and I trust Rafa to make them. Its just the slowest of starts but dont panic.

like brain damaged goldfish would be my guess

like brain damaged goldfish would be my guess

His thought process maybe this: Promote a coach who had a woeful record when "standing in" previously, with no budget, no final say on transfers and limited control:-> Cruise to the title with over 100 points. Employ a Manager with an excellent CV, give him complete control :-> Fail miserably to get out of a division of miserable quality. Should go back to my original thought process when employing a "head coach", I was right all along and I shouldn't ever listen to those so called expert fans who pressured me to paying through the nose for a proven track record guy.

For the long term benefit of the club, Rafa simply has to succeed and turn this around.

• 4 weeks later...