Newcastle United promoted back to the Premier League

Figures 1-0 Football
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Oh aye, we finished way ahead though. I'd be surprised if we finish this season anything like 10 ahead of 2nd and 20 ahead of 3rd. Maybe that's what makes this season seem harder.

Although saying that, I can't remember when we pulled away last time.

We're a better footballing side and we are much better tactically now imo.  Although 09/10 we had probably a squad that was bizarrely more suited to Championship football (Nolan, Carroll, Williamson, prime Enrique, Lovenkrands etc) guess it shows how well Rafa is doing with this group.

I don't know if we're a better team than last time round like, those guys were pretty established premiership players, not to mention Carroll was in his prime and about to wreak havoc in his next season at a higher level. I think this is a much harder job this time because other teams are well organised.

We're a better footballing side and we are much better tactically now imo.  Although 09/10 we had probably a squad that was bizarrely more suited to Championship football (Nolan, Carroll, Williamson, prime Enrique, Lovenkrands etc) guess it shows how well Rafa is doing with this group.

I don't know if we're a better team than last time round like, those guys were pretty established premiership players, not to mention Carroll was in his prime and about to wreak havoc in his next season at a higher level. I think this is a much harder job this time because other teams are well organised.

I don't think any of those players apart from Nolan were established Premier League players at the time

I don't think any of those players apart from Nolan were established Premier League players at the time

I was talking about the players in our team in general, not the ones mentioned in the quote per se. So the likes of Nolan, Jonas, Enrique, Routledge, Coloccini all were Premier players. Then you add a Carroll on the rise and it was a pretty strong outfit.

Yeah that was my point, only Nolan you can really call as established Prem players. We had Butt and Smith who were 'established' but rubbish for us. And Barton barely played for us.

Be interesting to take a look at both squads to create a starting eleven with the best of both.

My gut feel is that mine would have more of the 09 bunch than the current lot but not given it much consideration.

Be interesting to take a look at both squads to create a starting eleven with the best of both.

My gut feel is that mine would have more of the 09 bunch than the current lot but not given it much consideration.

It's a tough one. My gut would be:

Harper

Yedlin Colo Clark Enrique

Routledge Nolan Shelvey Ritchie

Gayle Carroll

Jonas was good for us in the Championship so feel a bit bad leaving him out especially his partnership with Enrique. Right back was a tough choice. Williamson looked good for us in the Championship but it went downhill rapidly in the Prem. I don't think Clark will do the same if we go up. Have a feeling I'm missing someone really obvious out

It's a tough one. My gut would be:

Harper

Yedlin Colo Clark Enrique

Routledge Nolan Shelvey Ritchie

Gayle Carroll

Jonas was good for us in the Championship so feel a bit bad leaving him out especially his partnership with Enrique. Right back was a tough choice. Williamson looked good for us in the Championship but it went downhill rapidly in the Prem. I don't think Clark will do the same if we go up. Have a feeling I'm missing someone really obvious out

I know Ritchie has produced more goals and probably more assists, but you just can't leave Jonas out for me. He and Enrique had basically every single team's right-side for breakfast, and their partnership is one of the main reasons we won the majority of matches at a canter. Difficult to separate Routledge and Ritchie, who both play down the right primarily anyway.

I'd mebs have Williamson in for Clark, but tbf he benefitted from having Colo alongside him, who might be the best centre-back ever to play at that level (based on absolutely nowt :pow: ).

Krul only played 3 games for us in the Championship like.

And Best was rubbish for us in the Championship. If you need a striker on the bench then it should be Lovenkrands. Harewood and Shola were better than Best that year

Huddersfield's game in hand - Wolves (a) - has been re-scheduled for 25th April. Good news IMO - plenty of points to get on the board between now and then. Also means that Huddersfield have 8 games in April as opposed to 7.

Harper

Yedlin

Clark

Coloccini

Enrique

Ritchie (just)

Nolan

Shelvey

Jonas

Gayle

Carroll

Subs: Darlow, Dummett, Williamson, Routledge, Guthrie, Lovenkrands, Ameobi.

Fuck. That shit would break records.

Harper

Yedlin

Clark

Coloccini

Enrique

Ritchie (just)

Nolan

Shelvey

Jonas

Gayle

Carroll

Subs: Darlow, Dummett, Williamson, Routledge, Guthrie, Lovenkrands, Ameobi.

f***. That s*** would break records.

All at their prime that team would be alreet in the PL

Some of the teams we have faced this time weren't around in 09/10. And they've been tougher than who we played back then. To name some of our rivals and also those who have taken poins off us:

Now:

Brighton

Huddersfield

Leeds

Fulham

Norwich

Wolves

Villa

Blackburn

Compare that to the likes of:

Doncaster

Plymouth

Peterbrough

Scunthorpe (we lost to them)

Coventry

We also faced Reading, Wednesday, Derby, Palace, Swansea and even Leicester back then.

It's been tougher this time around for sure yet we're on par with how we did back then.

I don't think our home form is good enough to match our points total from 09/10 but I do think we're close to promotion. Regardless of what happens against Huddersfield we're 6 wins (from 12 remaining games) from 91 points so we're probably gonna get at least that which will be enough.