DeAndre Yedlin (now playing for Inter Miami)

Ameritoon

dat pace

Effectively made what turned out to be the winning goal. Had a difficult game otherwise like.

Thought he did alright, that Masuako (sp?) is a bag of tricks. Should've had an assist when Gayle missed too.

Aye fair comment, I forgot about that. Too many crosses came in from both Masuaku and Cresswell for my liking though.

He’ll always be a bit suspect defensively, I reckon. But the West Ham 26 was class and their best player by miles. He combined well with Cresswell and worked openings for crosses quite regularly. Ritchie and Yedlin both worked their arses off, but still failed to stop crosses on numerous occasions. 

Love Yedlin going forward, mind. He is our fastest player in my living memory. He go back on the cover a couple of times when he had 5-10 yards to make up and as you pointed out, his pressure led to the third.

In the last 2 / 3 games I've been really impressed with this lads character. Against Everton in the 2nd half he looked like the only one willing to do something outside the box and really commit players. Today he really piled pressure on West Ham and drive at players again. Showing real passion (as are all the team) but it's more so the responsibility that I've been happy with. We've needed leaders on the pitch in recent weeks and he's seemingly stepped up to it. Good to see. :thup:

Totally agree with this. He's a bit of an unsung hero at times. Even in the games we've been shit he's been one of the few striving to do something about it. I think he was the only player that believed we could get something in the second half v Everton. Like others have said he can be inconsistent defensively but his effort levels have been brilliant.

Guest neesy111

I seriously don't rate the lad defensively, too many times wingers get past him.  He's good going forward, need a hybrid of him and Dummett.

It feels as though throughout youth systems and other leagues he's been able to rely on his pace and quality to get him out of situations when he's been in the wrong position but he's getting found out a lot more in the Premier League with his bad positioning

Guest neesy111

It feels as though throughout youth systems and other leagues he's been able to rely on his pace and quality to get him out of situations when he's been in the wrong position but he's getting found out a lot more in the Premier League with his bad positioning

Completely agree with that.

I seriously don't rate the lad defensively, too many times wingers get past him.  He's good going forward, need a hybrid of him and Dummett.

I was surprised how scared he was of Sterling. With his pace I would have expected him to fancy his chances more.

Kyle Walker was a tragic defender for several years despite having buckets of pace. He’s turned into one of the better two-way fullbacks in the league. It takes time for players of that ilk to figure out how to use their pace smartly, I.e. when to bomb forward and when to hang. Yedlin’s still figuring it out, I think his natural instinct is to gun ahead and it leaves him caught forward too often. But we definitely went through a patch of games this season where he was outstanding defensively.

He’s working with one of the great defensive minds in football and has the right attitude and ability...I’m not concerned that he’ll come good. It also wouldn’t hurt if the team around him weren’t also crap. Nobody looks good in this team.

I also love him.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Howaythetoon

Bags of pace and good energy which helps him out of trouble at times, but going forward he flatters to deceive. I watched closely today mind and there was many a time he wanted to get further forward but was thwarted by Rafa on the touch line instructing him to hold his line. I’m critical of Ritchie, but he cannot do much more going forward if there is nothing coming from his full-back in between and in front of him. Ironically when he did get further forward, he got to the beeline and put in a few crosses. In the first half he played a short ball back which let in a Swansea player to chase it down. Luckily his pace allowed him to chase the ball back down to recover the ball before the Swansea man could. That is all he ally has to his game at the moment, pace and energy and a good work ethic.

Guest Howaythetoon

Maybe that’s why Rafa doesn’t like him getting to far forward. I disagree about Manquillo mind, he’s fucking tragic.