Christian Atsu (1992–2023)

Kaizero

3 hours ago, Danh1 said:

He must have still lived here, as his partner was getting interviewed on SSN a couple of weeks back and it was from Newcastle.

Makes it hurt even more. Some of the players in our squad will have played alongside him, they will be devastated.

2 minutes ago, Wild Geese said:

Was it Atsu, that sent a percentage of his wages back to his home country to help the people ?

Anyhow, God Bless Bonny Lad, Rest In Peace

Once a Geordie always a Geordie

Aye. I’ve read this morning that he had a charity set up to support children who had been trafficked and he donated thousands. 

Don't know much about him privately but would be shocked if he wasn't a good person.

With that hope spot a week ago I had visions of his being  halftime hero, a chance to say thanks and show appreciation now we'd all been given a second chance.

So this will have to suffice. 

God bless him.

Inevitable after so long now... Really upsetting.

I thought a lot about him last night and the people of Turkey; I'm currently in Mexico and we had 3 little earthquakes over night that woke us up. The air con machine and windows rattled so hard, it felt larger than it was and was quite scary. It kept me up all night, just making me reflect and think how fucking scary it must have been in Turkey/Syria and I pray to whoever the hell is up there that Atsu and many others did not suffer and were knocked out quickly. 

RIP Atsu and everyone else affected by the earthquake. X

Just gutted with this, even if it felt inevitable at this stage. The fact he was due to fly to his family but changed his mind to stay, likely to celebrate his goal/win with the team is even more gutting. Imagine being a team mate that encouraged him to stay and visit family later. Sliding doors. Horrible stuff and thoughts and prayers to everyone close to him and those affected by this disaster.