Still not worthy of a thread

Yorkie

49 minutes ago, triggs said:

Lewandowski also barely played in a big game all season. Was injured when they got knocked out in the CL quarters and did pretty well with a terrible Poland team in the summer. It just wasn't a stellar year overall

This - Lewa was no:1 in 2020 and should have had the recognition he truly deserved - 2021 was Messi, simple as 

3 hours ago, triggs said:

Lewandowski also barely played in a big game all season. Was injured when they got knocked out in the CL quarters and did pretty well with a terrible Poland team in the summer. It just wasn't a stellar year overall

64 goals including breaking the all time league record is pretty stellar to be fair. 

1 hour ago, Village Idiot said:

Alexia won the women's Ballon D'Or, she's the first women's football player which I have followed somewhat closely since she first burst into scene. Chuffed for her.

Is Zatie Zelem any good? She a women player I've followed.

Nobody has been that great this year, so let's give it to Messi anyway - that seems the approach. but muh, he Copa America.

The comedown from the Messi/Ronaldo era was always going to be hard to be negotiated - I can understand Modric, but this is taking the piss.

Lewandowsi beating Muller's record, for years being best striker in the world ... (aside from Ronaldo) Even looking at starting line up in the Copa fnal I'd say Emiliano Martínez and Taro Martínez both had better season than Messi.

Am I looking looking at this whole thing wrong, but is having a single player being lorded 'best in the World' quite boring? 

In Xavi's last season at Barca, I'd be more excited when Xavi was coming on for the last 15/20 min - I'd watch him; watch him never fuck up a pass. Same was with Iniesta. Wasn't at all bothered with the MSN palaver. 

2021 now proves personal recognition is most important - the 'Brand' has become important. Ballon'dor used to be something, this years it's reinforced it's more than a PR stunt. 

If there is somewhere a 12-15 year old lad in our academy somewhere that could one day become become Ballon'd'Or - in 10-15 years being told you are the best Footballer Player in The World will mean nothing. 

Edited by Plastician

never mind the Messi/Lewandowski debate…how the fuck has Mount come 19th?!

1 - Lionel Messi

2 - Robert Lewandowski

3 - Jorginho

4 - Karim Benzema 

5 - N'Golo Kante 

6 - Cristiano Ronaldo

7 - Mohamed Salah

8 - Kevin De Bruyne 

9 - Kylian Mbappe

10 - Gianluigi Donnarumma

11 - Erling Haaland

12 - Romelu Lukaku

13 - Giorgio Chiellini

14 - Leonardo Bonucci

15 - Raheem Sterling

16 - Neymar

17 - Luis Suarez

18 - Simon Kjaer

19 - Mason Mount

20 - Riyad Mahrez

21 - Lautaro Martinez 

= Bruno Fernandes

23 - Harry Kane

24 - Pedri

25 - Phil Foden

26 - Gerard Moreno

= Nicolo Barella

= Ruben Dias

29 - Luka Modric

= Cesar Azpilicueta

36 minutes ago, Manxst said:

never mind the Messi/Lewandowski debate…how the fuck has Mount come 19th?!

1 - Lionel Messi

2 - Robert Lewandowski

3 - Jorginho

4 - Karim Benzema 

5 - N'Golo Kante 

6 - Cristiano Ronaldo

7 - Mohamed Salah

8 - Kevin De Bruyne 

9 - Kylian Mbappe

10 - Gianluigi Donnarumma

11 - Erling Haaland

12 - Romelu Lukaku

13 - Giorgio Chiellini

14 - Leonardo Bonucci

15 - Raheem Sterling

16 - Neymar

17 - Luis Suarez

18 - Simon Kjaer

19 - Mason Mount

20 - Riyad Mahrez

21 - Lautaro Martinez 

= Bruno Fernandes

23 - Harry Kane

24 - Pedri

25 - Phil Foden

26 - Gerard Moreno

= Nicolo Barella

= Ruben Dias

29 - Luka Modric

= Cesar Azpilicueta

Part of a Champions League winning midfield, and is generally pretty decent? Hardly a surprise he's in the list.

17 minutes ago, 54 said:

Part of a Champions League winning midfield, and is generally pretty decent? Hardly a surprise he's in the list.

Not that he’s in the list, but that he’s 19th ahead of Martinez, Fernandes, Foden, Kane, Dias, Pedri etc. Yes, he’s been part of a championship winning squad, but he’s been pretty anonymous imo compared to his colleagues. 

2 hours ago, Tomato Deuce said:

Did I miss something re: Jorginho? Was there some kind of campaign to push him into Ballon d’Or consideration?

Not really but all futile player awards are basically awarded on… 

- Are you Pessi or Penaldo

- Did you win a national team tournament

- Did you reach the CL final

- Do you score important mass viewed goals

And for the Ballon D’or…are you somehow related to France.

PS. We will fuck the award off if needed to protect our Ligue 1 assets.

8 hours ago, Ben said:

I still think Amazon's coverage is great 

The delays are awful, though. Like what form is the best to watch it as close to live as possible? I was watching on the Amazon Prime app live on Virgin Media and I was still about a minute behind others watching it getting alerts from other people before something happened on my feed.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

7 minutes ago, Sima said:

The current player we have on loan being one of them.

Where the fuck is he?  Doesn't even play for the U23s.

We have a player in on loan? :lol: