Sexual Abuse in Football

Tooj

:spit: Sorry, I can't help but laugh at that. It's like something you'd hear on Phoenix Nights. Classic.

My exact thoughts when I read it :lol:

You know, I should be fuming reading s*** like this.  But I actually find it funny how clueless and misinformed he is.  As for darts beign played by 'proper men'  :lol: Saying it as if they're all hard b******s.  Most would probably have a heart attack if they got into a fight that lasted longer than 20 seconds. 

Oh and Huss, sorry to read about what you have been through. 

sent u a pm

Bristow has apparently been binned by Sky, this morning.

Good, I think that's the right thing to happen, actually. I know I was saying last night that removing Bristow's MBE wouldn't amount to much more than gesture politics, but actually having had time to reflect on that this morning, I've had a change of heart as I can totally see why it would be a useful thing to do in any case. We really can't be having people pollute the public discourse on an issue as sensitive and important as this with their ill-informed views on what it is to be a 'proper man'. People have suffered lasting psychological and emotional trauma as a result of the perverted actions and abuse of people who were in positions of trust and authority. It doesn't help to have idiots proclaiming that it wouldn't have happened to them etc.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt."

.."iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn one".

Following tweets by Eric Bristow, #NUFC has taken the decision to withdraw him immediately from a scheduled appearance at St. James' Park.

In light of tweets made by the darts player Eric Bristow, Newcastle United has taken the decision today to withdraw him immediately from a scheduled appearance at an event taking place at St. James' Park on 6th December.

The club will not work with Eric Bristow in the future.  For those who have already bought tickets for the event, current player Kevin Painter has this morning confirmed he will take part.

:spit: Sorry, I can't help but laugh at that. It's like something you'd hear on Phoenix Nights. Classic.

My exact thoughts when I read it :lol:

You know, I should be fuming reading shit like this.  But I actually find it funny how clueless and misinformed he is.  As for darts beign played by 'proper men'  :lol: Saying it as if they're all hard bastards.  Most would probably have a heart attack if they got into a fight that lasted longer than 20 seconds. 

:lol: :thup: As if Eric Bristow could do anything about being sexually abused now, never mind when he was a bairn the creep. Weird bloke.

eeh...whatever happened to mutual tolerance of traditional values?

In the hands of an imbecile, this social media thing can really be a gun to the head!

Always came across as a cock so no surprise there then

Those tweets are absolutely disgraceful, what a terribly uneducated opinion.

Shows what a complete and utter twat that the bloke is if he a) has those opinions in the first place and b) cannot comprehend why he shouldn't air them publically on Twitter.

It really angers me when people like him are living celebrity lifestyles when there is millions of good people scraping by every month. People like Bristow should be at rock bottom, where they deserve to be.

Glad Sky and NUFC have taken quick action.

Ex NUFC player, Derek Bell comes forward to tell his story;

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/nov/29/derek-bell-abuse-coach

The former Newcastle United footballer Derek Bell breaks for one of many pauses during several hours discussing “horrendous” sexual abuse to which he was subjected at his local boys football club in the late 1970s. Then he gathers himself again, to relate the incident 20 years later which finally provoked him to report the paedophile, George Ormond, to the police.

The latest footballer to waive anonymity and speak out publicly, which he says he has wanted to do during decades of trauma and “living a lie” ever since, Bell was groomed and violated between the ages of 12 and 16 by Ormond, his coach at the well‑respected Montagu and North Fenham boys football club.

In the late 1990s, he discovered that Ormond had become involved with the youth coaching at Newcastle United. He informed one of the coaches about Ormond’s past abuse and the executives currently at the club, owned since 2007 by Mike Ashley, are still trying to establish the precise circumstances in which Ormond left, which they believe was in October 1998.

Ormond is thought to have worked his way into the Newcastle set-up in various roles for approximately three years before that, including frequenting a small hotel a mile from the ground, where aspiring players stayed. One man who was formerly a player in the Newcastle United youth system is known to have notified Northumbria police last week, alleging that he was abused by Ormond while he was attached to the club.

Bell fears that in the more than 20 years that Ormond was a senior coach at the boys club, and the three years at Newcastle, he could have abused many more boys before he was convicted of indecent assaults on the evidence of seven, all of whom maintained their anonymity, in 2002.

Bell escaped Ormond’s control when he signed for Newcastle as a rising 16-year-old midfield star in 1979, played for a first team which included the former England captain Kevin Keegan in 1983, but his dreams were shattered weeks later by a serious knee injury sustained in a reserve match against Manchester United. After that, he played semi‑professional football for Gateshead, while building a career in Newcastle city council’s housing department, never speaking about his abuse through years of torment, anger, drinking and broken marriages.

Derek Bell in action for Newcastle United against Shrewsbury Town in September 1982.

Facebook Twitter Pinterest

Derek Bell in action for Newcastle United against Shrewsbury Town in September 1982. Photograph: Peter Robinson/Empics Sport

Then, when his work for the council involved helping asylum seekers to settle in Newcastle, including “very, very vulnerable” refugee teenagers with no parents, he saw a man in the hostel grounds, hiding behind a tree. When he went to investigate, he found that it was Ormond.

Advertisement

“My mind went beserk,” recalls Bell, now 52. “I thought: he is here to groom these vulnerable kids, to pick up kids; they didn’t speak the language, they were in a foreign country: how vulnerable are they? And he’s hiding behind a tree.”

They called the police, he says, but Ormond had melted away. Bell went home to the hell of sleepless nights and sweats, and “intrusive thoughts” of the abuse he had suffered himself. It began at the boys club, with Ormond, only 24 himself, in the changing rooms, telling the boys to expose and touch themselves.

But he targeted Bell for more serious sexual acts, imposing control with threats and blackmail, that he could block the boy’s football progress if he did not conform. He won the trust of Bell’s parents and began to drive him home, stopping in car parks to sexually abuse him. Then he started to stay over at Bell’s home.

“He was suddenly right in my house. It was horrendous, horrific, absolutely horrific,” says Bell, a well-built man who prided himself on being a formidable physical presence on the football field. “He would make all sorts of excuses saying he had to stay the night; then he blackmailed me to do these explicit acts. My mam and dad were so innocent.”

His brother, two years older, had two single beds in the bedroom next door to that of Bell’s parents. Ormond would sometimes stay there when Derek’s brother was away with his girlfriend.

“He would force me into bed with him, to perform sexual acts,” Bell says in a soft voice, shaking a little, his eyes repeatedly welling with tears. “He tried to get me to consent. I just found it horrendous.

“It was pure, unbelievable heartache. Thinking my mam and dad were next door and he was performing these sexual acts. He had groomed us for a couple of years and … he thought it was normal. Deep down in my mind I knew it wasn’t normal, but I was so scared to speak and come out and say it wasn’t right. It was just, horrendous.”

Advertisement

Through the “double whammy” of his injury-ruined football career and legacy of abuse, Bell, worried about shame and stigma, had not talked about Ormond for many years until he warned the Newcastle United youth coach about him many years later. But after seeing him in the grounds of the asylum hostel, Bell did confide in a close group of friends, and decided that he should finally try to have Ormond convicted. Bell went round to his house early one Sunday morning, with a concealed tape recorder in his jacket, an old-fashioned, quite bulky one, he recalls. Ormond invited him in, then Bell tried to secure enough incriminating admissions on to the tape.

“It was difficult,” he remembers. “I said: ‘What you did to me years ago, George, why did you do that?’

“He said: “You are not going to tell the police, are you?’ Straight away. He didn’t apologise, he didn’t say sorry, he was just worried about me going to the police. I said: ‘No, for my own sake, I just want a reason why: why did you feel the need to sexually assault us, bribe us about not playing, that you would tell clubs’ scouts I was crap and want to ruin my career? Why did you threaten us to have sexual intercourse with you: why?’”

He recalls that while Ormond did not apologise, he said enough to take to the police. Bell played the tape to a couple of friends, and they were “just astounded”.

He made contact with Northumbria police, took the tape, and worked with the force for 18 months to gather further witnesses and bring the prosecution. He recalls that the police did talk to Newcastle United but all the witnesses in court gave evidence of abuse only at Montagu and North Fenham. Ormond denied the charges, but after a week’s trial, at which all the witnesses gave evidence on condition of anonymity, he was convicted and sentenced to six years in prison.

Advertisement

The trial judge, Esmond Faulks, said in his sentencing remarks that Ormond had been “wholly preoccupied with sex” and that: “The evidence demonstrates you were a predatory abuser of young boys. You used your position as a football coach to target vulnerable young children. You ingratiated yourself with their parents and prevented disclosure by the power you wielded over them as their coach.”

He also said that Bell, the principal witness, needed help, and now Bell reflects that he did not receive any of the support he needed. He felt that Newcastle United then wanted the abuse “pushed under the carpet” and to minimise its impact on the club’s reputation, and feels “let down” that nobody from the club’s hierarchy even called him throughout or afterwards. Northumbria police, too, he says, did not follow up with any support.

The conviction of Ormond did not ease the psychological burden on his victim. Bell wells up again when recalling his three suicide attempts and many more times he contemplated it; his three marriages all ended in divorce. In 2009 he was convicted himself of violence against his then wife, who obtained a court order which prevented him seeing her or his son and stepdaughter for two years. He would drink till he dropped, he says, and was like “an exploding train”, boiling with anger.

“I have done things I am thoroughly ashamed of, and I am not saying it as an excuse, but there was a rationale, a reason behind it: that I could not cope with daily life, with the abuse I suffered. And I didn’t talk to anybody about it, because I felt I couldn’t.”

Derek Bell, photographed at St James’ Park, Newcastle.

Facebook Twitter Pinterest

Derek Bell, photographed at St James’ Park, Newcastle. Photograph: Murdo MacLeod for the Guardian

He has taken the decision to speak out publicly since other footballers have, partly for his own reputation as a well-known person in the north east, so people can better understand the troubles he has had. He also firmly believes that suffering in silence has made his trauma worse; that he has “lived a lie”, for example in not openly telling people that after 25 years working for the council, he had to retire on medical grounds. That came after his job in housing involved him for a year in working to resettle paedophiles, which triggered his own trauma again.

Advertisement

After his last suicide attempt, he was sectioned under the Mental Health Act, was in a secure unit for two months, and began to receive psychiatric help. Still a football man who likes a laugh, with a partner of six years and wide circle of friends, he has been diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder and borderline personality disorder, and been through years of cognitive behavioural therapy and other psychiatric treatment.

He hopes that speaking out will prompt more people who have been abused to feel that they can come forward, but having experienced the pressures on the National Health Service’s mental health provision, urges the clubs, Football Association and Professional Footballers Association to have support in place for the traumatised people who will need help. Newcastle United have supported him since he made contact last week, listened to him and helped him to tell his story, and they are preparing to assist with any new investigation by the police or other authority.

Of Ormond’s 25 years, including three at Newcastle United, after he first became a coach at the boys club, Bell says: “I would be amazed if nobody else was abused. If people were, I am trying to say: don’t be in silence, because they must be in absolute torment. Don’t be afraid or ashamed: come forward.”

Guest Howaythetoon

Heartbreaking reading. :(

Aye, made me really angry reading it. Imagine as a kid going into training to play the game you love and one day hope to be a professional in and having to endure sex abuse man, it's fucking sickening and the culprits want locked up for good.