Jacob Murphy

Guest palnese

I don't think it's a myth it's more physical personally, it's just the PL has much higher technique, tactically intelligent players and all while playing at a much higher pace.

But the physical thing in isolation is true imo, plus as mentioned the refs allow you to get away with a lot more tbh.

It's a bit of a presumption, but I feel like we have a lot of players of similar quality fighting for places rather than better players with worse players as back up. Of course I'd much prefer to have better players, but if Rafa's going more for an even spread to promote competition and so that back ups fit in without a big drop in quality, then I'm all for it. With that in mind, we now desperately need a striker, a central midfielder and a number 10, because behind our starters for those positions it's Mitrovic, Colback, and a battle between Diame/Perez/De Jong.

Quite possibly and that approach could perhaps have merit in different circumstances but the problem is that we already have a lot of players who are below the quality required for the league we're in now and so adding more of the same standard doesn't really seem beneficial at all.

Guest firetotheworks

It's a bit of a presumption, but I feel like we have a lot of players of similar quality fighting for places rather than better players with worse players as back up. Of course I'd much prefer to have better players, but if Rafa's going more for an even spread to promote competition and so that back ups fit in without a big drop in quality, then I'm all for it. With that in mind, we now desperately need a striker, a central midfielder and a number 10, because behind our starters for those positions it's Mitrovic, Colback, and a battle between Diame/Perez/De Jong.

Quite possibly and that approach could perhaps have merit in different circumstances but the problem is that we already have a lot of players who are below the quality required for the league we're in now and so adding more of the same standard doesn't really seem beneficial at all.

Personally I think Gayle, Ritchie, and Shelvey are Premier League quality and getting players in of similar quality would be a good move. On paper Murphy isn't too far away from Ritchie, and is arguably more of a prospect than Atsu. To me it seems like Lejeune will be fighting it out with either Lascelles or Clark for a centre back place. Of course the proof will be in the pudding, but I do get the feeling that it's more of a decent squad approach instead of a good first time and a poor second string.

Personally I think Gayle, Ritchie, and Shelvey are Premier League quality and getting players in of similar quality would be a good move. On paper Murphy isn't too far away from Ritchie, and is arguably more of a prospect than Atsu. To me it seems like Lejeune will be fighting it out with either Lascelles or Clark for a centre back place. Of course the proof will be in the pudding, but I do get the feeling that it's more of a decent squad approach instead of a good first time and a poor second string.

Until Colback is behind at least 3 other central midfielders in the pecking order I'm not confident at all :(

1. Shelvey

2. Hayden

3. ?

Guest firetotheworks

Until Colback is behind at least 3 other central midfielders in the pecking order I'm not confident at all :(

1. Shelvey

2. Hayden

3. ?

I agree, as I was saying, if that's the way Rafa's going to do it then we now desperately need a Central Midfielder or two, a number 10, and another striker.

We need a reliable central midfielder and even more important would be a high quality #10.

I'm surprised the links have ran dry in those positions. Earlier in the window it was all about Cairney, Mooy, Pires, Samaris, Acquah etc.

We need a reliable central midfielder and even more important would be a high quality #10.

I'm surprised the links have ran dry in those positions. Earlier in the window it was all about Cairney, Mooy, Pires, Samaris, Acquah etc.

I assume the whole 'we can only do one deal at a time' thing is actually true.

The thing is I got the impression Rafa preferred Colback over Hayden, if we dont bring anyone else in I could see him starting with Shelvey against Spurs, which would be absolute :anguish: :anguish:

Rafa definitely didn't prefer him like.

I think the CM is more important than the #10 if it comes to one or the other. I know they aren't top quality but we've already got De Jong and Perez for that role, and while he's on our books, Diame as well. I think Rafa might try and wing it with one of those for this season if our funds are limited.

I think Lejeune is a pretty big step up from our other CBs, tbh. He’s the only one out of the current crop that’s shown real quality over a longer period in a top league. I have faith in the other 3 stepping up, but I’m much more confident that Lejeune will make it – wouldn’t be surprised if he turns out to be one of the signings of the season. 

I expect the 'spine' signings will be players of higher quality as we can get away with it out wide a little more. Think you're generally right, though, Rafa's squad building for the long haul.

As for Murphy, looking through some less biased comments about him from Norwich fans(many seem in denial that they've just lost their highest-scoring midfielder), the consensus is that he's got a lot of talent, is a good athlete, can be a game changer, but is inconsistent (natural for his position, especially at his age) and not the best defensively. Had a fluctuating season - started well, faded (along with the whole team, tbf) and then had a resurgence but not to the same level of the first 3rd of the season.

He's obviously got some tools for Rafa to work with and I imagine he'll get a lot of game time this season, but I doubt he’ll be a set starter; more likely someone to add to the competition mix that starts when in form.

I think less pressured game time alone will help him improve too. Probably burned out on a few occasions last season; he seems to have a little more physical filling out to do.

I’d send Aarons out on loan to prove his fitness and get a senior winger in :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think the CM is more important than the #10 if it comes to one or the other. I know they aren't top quality but we've already got De Jong and Perez for that role, and while he's on our books, Diame as well. I think Rafa might try and wing it with one of those for this season if our funds are limited.

Tend to agree, although CM is a bit more complicated because we already have two players who will want to start. Obviously if the signing is a class above that doesn't matter so much.