Javier Manquillo (now playing for Celta de Vigo)

Parsley

Guest Bordertoon

At fault for all three goals we have conceded so far this season.

Harsh, but probably fair.

Looks okay physically, on the ball, and going forwards, although his end product needs to improve. However, I think he might need a private tutor (or 3) to help him integrate Rafa's defensive masterclasses, as his positioning and awareness do seem to be poor.

As with the majority of our signings this summer, he's probably a decent squad player. We needed clear first team improvements.

And here lies the problem in fact I would say every signing we have made so far IS a squad player at best. Compound that with the fact that other players who are squad players a best also and it's easy to see the major problems we have. That's what happens when you continue to sign the 4th or 5th choice players on the manager's wish list.

As with the majority of our signings this summer, he's probably a decent squad player. We needed clear first team improvements.

And here lies the problem in fact I would say every signing we have made so far IS a squad player at best. Compound that with the fact that other players who are squad players a best also and it's easy to see the major problems we have. That's what happens when you continue to sign the 4th or 5th choice players on the manager's wish list.

Lejuene and Atsu are starters I think, and Murphy/Merino feel like they're for the future so it's a bit harsh to include them I gues. Point is we needed to overhaul the TEAM and we've not done that.

Guest Bordertoon

Indeed, it sometimes feels like we're in danger of having a full squad and no first team.

Come to think of it, which players would we be happy to think of as automatic first team players in the EPL?

Personally, I'd say Riviere obviously; Shelvey definitely (when he's not been sectioned/suspended); Lejeune and Merino possibly (it's too early to tell); and Ritchie, Clark, Yedlin, and Mbemba maybe (although in truth I'd prefer that the quality of our first team saw them become squad players ideally).

Unless I'm forgetting someone, I see the rest of our squad as cover ... unfortunately, it's "cover" for the players that we don't actually have, or even look like getting in the foreseeable future.

Happy days!

Lejuene and Atsu are starters I think, and Murphy/Merino feel like they're for the future so it's a bit harsh to include them I gues. Point is we needed to overhaul the TEAM and we've not done that.

Atsu is a squad player (as he was in the Championship) as are currently Murphy and Merino (they may in time) - agree we needed a massive overhaul of the first team and it has not been done with not one signing being a guaranteed first team player. Not going to happen either with that fat cunt in charge although expect him to shit himeself in January when it is probably too late.

Indeed, it sometimes feels like we're in danger of having a full squad and no first team.

Come to think of it, which players would we be happy to think of as automatic first team players in the EPL?

Personally, I'd say Riviere obviously; Shelvey definitely (when he's not been sectioned/suspended); Lejeune and Merino possibly (it's too early to tell); and Ritchie, Clark, Yedlin, and Mbemba maybe (although in truth I'd prefer that the quality of our first team saw them become squad players ideally).

Unless I'm forgetting someone, I see the rest of our squad as cover ... unfortunately, it's "cover" for the players that we don't actually have, or even look like getting in the foreseeable future.

Happy days!

Riviere seriously?

Guest Bordertoon

No, not seriously - I thought he was the only player who was so below par that it would be obvious that I was joking.

• 3 weeks later...

Very average in defence and attack.

I actually thought he had a good game. Seems to have a decent touch and supports Richie a lot. Needs to work on final ball.

Agree. He's not great, but nowhere near as bad as people make out. Overlaps quite nicely going forward, defensively not great, but you get what you pay for I suppose.