Mikel Merino

Disco

He was very decent off-the-ball but, as has been said, a bit sloppy on it. He definitely created more space for Shelvey, mind, and that will be really important through the season.

Definitely. Thought he struggled a bit just because he was adjusting playing next to Jonjo. We noticed him more in a creative sense with Hayden as he had to be. He was more anonymous to the attacking eye with Shelvey taking that role. Think there is a cracking potential partnership there once they play more together.

The funny thing with him yesterday was that even though he was having a bad game by his standards he'd still intercept and snatch the ball from time to time to give us the chance to break on them. Moment he went off we lost that.

I was thinking that when Rafa made the sub, I thought we'd lose some control and we kind of did. I mean I understand why he did it, put Gayle on and see if Shelvey can get him in behind and Hayden as a sub was a necessity as Salah was getting more space.

Obviously none of it actually mattered so who cares.

Shelvey playing shouldn't cause him to just generally be more sloppy.

If it keeps happening I agree, but in this one game in isolation it's understandable imo. He played a slightly different role with a different partner so it's understandable it wasn't a completely seamless transition.

If it keeps happening I agree, but in this one game in isolation it's understandable imo. He played a slightly different role with a different partner so it's understandable it wasn't a completely seamless transition.

He played deeper aswell. Not sure if it was because of playing alongside Shelvey or due to the opposition.

Klopp knows of Merino's quality and tried to stifle his play today. That consequently opened up play for Jonjo on occasion, where he was able to pick a pass without any pressure. For that reason I think their partnership might be a good one, especially at home, as teams will target one of them and leave the other to cause problems - which both certainly can.

This is exactly why it's absolutely essential for a team like ours to play these two together. Having no PFM midfielder in the side is so refreshing, and gives the opposition the headache of having to decide who to double up on. If they overload the middle then we always have the outlets in Ritchie and Atsu who can both hurt teams with different skill-sets.

It's a travesty that we haven't invested more in our first 11 in attack.

I reckon these two can steamroller both Southampton's and Palace's midfields.

Guest Howaythetoon

What I like about him is his ability to win the ball back either via a header, a chest down or via a tackle and then almost always do the right thing on the ball whether that's holding onto it, moving with it or releasing it. Once he is fully up to speed and had a good full season and with better players alongside him he can become a top-class player for us easily.

What I like about him is his ability to win the ball back either via a header, a chest down or via a tackle and then almost always do the right thing on the ball whether that's holding onto it, moving with it or releasing it. Once he is fully up to speed and had a good full season and with better players alongside him he can become a top-class player for us easily.

:thup:

:thup:

If Rafa is given a reasonable amount to spend to add to Merino we could quickly turn in to decent side.

I think we've got used to him looking so good, that perhaps we've set the bar really high and we're being a bit harsh on him?  Best team we have played against this season, IMO.  Spurs weren't that great against us, Merino only played what, 20 minutes and we were down to 10 for a half. 

He looked a bit tired towards the end, but we had even less possession than usual and Liverpool like to keep the ball moving.  I would imagine it must have been knackering to play in the middle against them on Sunday. 

I thought he was fine on Sunday and was surprised at some of the criticism, albeit minor, on here?  A bit subdued, looked jaded at times when stretching for the ball and his forward passing wasn't as good.  But that is just as much down to the opposition and our gameplan.  We weren't exactly committing men forward and Merino was sat deep, along with the rest of the team.  I still thought he was great at staying on his feet and breaking up play. 

Basically, he looks like an absolute gem of a player.

He reminds me of Busquets, the way he wins the ball and is calm under pressure

Aye I was thinking that, I know he got some comparisons to Alonso before we signed him but I think his game more resembles Busquets tbh.

Fucking class either way.  :aww:

I hadn't thought of Alonso, he's not as much of a long passer.

Quality player, hope he can put together a reliable partnership with Shelvey. I think yesterday was one of the most difficult games they'll have with the energy and athleticism in Liverpool's midfield (Wijnaldum excepted). He did seem a little nervous from the off.

Yeah I got Busquets vibes from the Dennis Wise scouting and he's never looked like he was going to be raking balls about while he's been here. Not sure why people keep talking about him as if he's a creative midfielder tbh, the Chronicle were at it after the game again.

Maybe because our 'defensive' players are usually like Tiote or Parker.

I hadn't thought of Alonso, he's not as much of a long passer.

Quality player, hope he can put together a reliable partnership with Shelvey. I think yesterday was one of the most difficult games they'll have with the energy and athleticism in Liverpool's midfield (Wijnaldum excepted). He did seem a little nervous from the off.

Have you forgotten that pass with the outside of his right boot to Aarons (I think) against Spurs?

I was most excited about his touch and passing ability, so his tackling, positioning and winning of headers in the middle of the park still comes as something of a pleasant surprise during matches. Gets stuck in too. He just looks like a good all-round player, really promising.

I remember in the summer when there was quite a bit of panicking about Rafa's future and someone like Mark Douglas said that completing the Merino signing had calmed things down substantially. You can see why.