Newcastle United 0 - 2 Tottenham Hotspur - 13/08/17 (post-match from p28)

Kaizero

Reading this thread, sometimes I wonder whether the much-derided mainstream media opinion of our fans is actually fairly accurate. Absolutely embarrassing.

Aye. Looking fairly comfortable at 0-0 at HT and quite a few people pissing their pants that we hadn't completely outclassed Spurs and knocked in four or five :lol:

Yeah, not like anyone is actually basing their opinion on watching us over the last 4 or 5 years is it.

Watch every other premiership game this weekend, regardless of the red card we were creating nothing. It's clear to see there is nothing in this team to make us comfortable this year. Going to be relying on moments of brilliance. Even Brighton gave City more of a go yesterday.

I expected us to lose today, but I also expected us to have a few corners, see their keeper have to make a few saves.

We're exactly the same team as last season. Go back and read match threads if you want a reminder of how poor we actually played. But of course, that means I expect us to be Barca.

If it wasn't for Shelvey proving ONCE AGAIN that he's a liability, I reckon we could've ground out a 0-0 draw. We weren't too bad up til then. But I'm very concerned about our attacking ability.

Just proves how essential it is that we buy at least 3 more players.

Reading this thread, sometimes I wonder whether the much-derided mainstream media opinion of our fans is actually fairly accurate. Absolutely embarrassing.

Aye. Looking fairly comfortable at 0-0 at HT and quite a few people pissing their pants that we hadn't completely outclassed Spurs and knocked in four or five :lol:

We were looking comfortable, but that was not down to us, Spuds barely bothered to turn up, they strolled through the match, yet we offered nothing against that clearly didn't feel the need to have to get out of 2nd gear, that's the most worrying thing.

Knew it would be tough, but not easy with a retard at cm. We defended well, and the gameplan was clearly to defend deep, and hope for some counter attacks.

I am quite happy with the match, we defended well for most part, with two defenders injured early it's not easy.

Out offence is hard to judge, as we just tried to counter attack, but it will be interesting to see what we can do against lesser sides.

I will not dwell to long on this match, there are worse teams we have to beat.

Lejune looked very good, Atsu mom.

Certainly don't see anything to panic about after that; we were outclassed after a couple of annoying injuries and a ridiculous red from Shelvey. I still think Spurs would have nicked it, even with eleven men, because they just had more class.

Don't think anybody played badly. I worry a bit about Ritchie's effectiveness in this division; he and Perez were both a bit disappointing whereas I thought everyone else did fine. Atsu was good, Merino looked classy, Lascelles did well when he came on and I think Clark has a shout of being our best left-back atm.

Need better players and for our best ones not to be stupid cunts. So embarrassing seeing us get drawn in by a bellend like Alli; fell for his antics hook, line and sinker.

I thought we had a solid good shape unitl the accidentlyonpurpose, looking to pick them off over the top on the break. Sending off killed that, and then their class told in the end. Not overly disappointed if i'm honest, some encouraging things. Tottenham are a good side and we kept them to a few long shots first half.  We were never going to dominate and be all over them.

Guest alijmitchell

Hard to know what this means for the season as a whole. But it is a disaster of a start even ignoring the result (which I expected)

If it wasn't for Shelvey proving ONCE AGAIN that he's a liability, I reckon we could've ground out a 0-0 draw. We weren't too bad up til then. But I'm very concerned about our attacking ability.

Just proves how essential it is that we buy at least 3 more players.

Up until that point we had zero efforts on target, we may well have gotten a 0-0 draw, but that was more down to Spuds not really showing up, than us stopping them.

Guest neesy111

Hard to know what this means for the season as a whole. But it is a disaster of a start even ignoring the result (which I expected)

This basically.  Can't say we'll do well or badly struggle, as the game was disruptive throughout.

Yeah, not like anyone is actually basing their opinion on watching us over the last 4 or 5 years is it.

Watch every other premiership game this weekend, regardless of the red card we were creating nothing. It's clear to see there is nothing in this team to make us comfortable this year. Going to be relying on moments of brilliance. Even Brighton gave City more of a go yesterday.

I expected us to lose today, but I also expected us to have a few corners, see their keeper have to make a few saves.

We're exactly the same team as last season. Go back and read match threads if you want a reminder of how poor we actually played. But of course, that means I expect us to be Barca.

This has always been the Benitez game plan, though: solid defensively, attack smart but not risky.

What a waste. I guess Spurs would have stepped it up and beaten us 11 vs. 11, but we (he) gave them no need to. It could have been 9 vs. 11 due to his underperforming radgie mate as well. If Rafa had had subs in the bank, I think he'd have been hooked straight away.

The rest of them mostly did okay with what was asked of them. Atsu played well. Hope the injured lads are all right.

But what a waste. Of all that preparation, all that energy invested in the match, and of course the potential points we might have had. All gone in a mad moment.