Newcastle United 0 - 2 Tottenham Hotspur - 13/08/17 (post-match from p28)

Kaizero

ok gayle is slightly better than George Reilly

I suspect you might just be high on emotion right now but I thought Gayle still did well with his movement and would have had a penalty if he'd held his run a split second longer. Clearly wasn't 100% and those minutes will do him the world of good.

Ahh, I've missed that feeling of abject deflation when you realise a game is gone in an instant. So glad football is back.

:thup: I'm ill, haven't slept in 24+ hours and had to watch the game with my Spurs supporting brother. Fuck football.

Despite the injuries we were reasonably comfortable until half time and could have grown into the game in an attacking sense. Restricting such a good side must have given us confidence and I would imagine Benitez was quite happy at the break. Later on we could have changed it with Murphy or Mitrovic being put on but unfortunately thanks to Shelvey we'll never know. I'm not saying we were brilliant or anything but it feels very churlish IMO to make out we were s**** all game and that it's an indication of how we're going to struggle this season.

We were far from shit - at the break neither side really tested the keeper.  2nd half we looked pretty comfortable until Shelley got send off.  If I had one complaint I thought Rafa needed to bring on Merino earlier but other than that we did ok against a good side. 

I concur. I think the fact we'd already used 2 subs due to injuries meant Rafa was wary of using his 3rd sub too early.

I haven't seen a replay of Shelveys red card so can't comment on it, but Delle Ali is a niggly snide cunt.

Did Ritchie get a yellow for howking him on the touchline?

Despite the injuries we were reasonably comfortable until half time and could have grown into the game in an attacking sense. Restricting such a good side must have given us confidence and I would imagine Benitez was quite happy at the break. Later on we could have changed it with Murphy or Mitrovic being put on but unfortunately thanks to Shelvey we'll never know. I'm not saying we were brilliant or anything but it feels very churlish IMO to make out we were s**** all game and that it's an indication of how we're going to struggle this season.

We were far from shit - at the break neither side really tested the keeper.  2nd half we looked pretty comfortable until Shelley got send off.  If I had one complaint I thought Rafa needed to bring on Merino earlier but other than that we did ok against a good side. 

I concur. I think the fact we'd already used 2 subs due to injuries meant Rafa was wary of using his 3rd sub too early.

I haven't seen a replay of Shelveys red card so can't comment on it, but Delle Ali is a niggly snide cunt.

Yes and Shelvey was completely indefensible. Deliberate stamp for no reason.

ok gayle is slightly better than George Reilly

Constantly humping long balls up to Gayle was silly.

Only criticism I have of Gayle was once in the 1st half Atsu got clear and put a lovely ball right onto the penalty spot and Gayle was 10/15 yards behind and hadn't bust a gut to keep up and get into the area.

Guest neesy111

Yes, deserved yellow as well.

Spurs was always going to be a big ask going into it on the back of promotion and little investment so far, but I think we put in a comfortable showing in the first half given what we have available to us going forward. Shelvey has bags of ability but only he can sort out his lapses in concentration that are ultimately leaving the rest of the team in the lurch for 3 games at a time. You'd hope he'd learn his lesson but as far as I remember this isn't the first time he's done this whilst playing for us, so it doesn't look good in the long run.

I'm not overly disheartened at the defeat personally, even though I did expect us to give them more of a game being at home and our relatively good record against them. However I do think that as a result of the game today we absolutely have to push the boat out to get Kenedy and Perez in before a losing mentality is allowed to potentially creep into the team over the next 3-4 games. That's not really anything none of us know already though. I think with what we still have available we should still be looking to get a few wins over the next month

While we did OK I don't get some of the very positive comments about how we troubled spurs etc.  It's the 1st home game of the season, you should be more of a threat than what we were 1st half imo.  Rest of the game is impossible to read due to Shelvey's sending off. Are those saying we'll be safe comfortably think Brighton will be as well? As they troubled Man City far more than Brighton (albeit City created far more than Spurs did today).  Defensively we'll be fine, but boro were last season and they still got relegated easily due to complete lack of quality in the final 3rd.  This is why the number 10 and striker position's are what cost the most money as they'll determine imo how we'll do this season.

No doubt I'll be lambasted for this and called for being unrealistic etc.

They really didn't like. Did nothing until well into the second half and even that was from a set piece. We looked more accomplished and created more in open play against a side that is more settled and more capable defensively than City.

They had 6 attempts. How many did we have?

How many of those were meaningful chances? I can think of 2 out of those 6, both the result of a set-piece. Also ignores the fact that Brighton were able to field 11 players for the entirety of the match; self-inflicted or not, going down to 10 hampered us significantly from an offensive perspective and Rafa and the rest of the team cannot legislate for Shelvey's sheer idiocy. As Neesy says, Brighton could've easily been a couple down by half-time whereas Spurs rarely threatened until the sending off.

Looks fucking raging underneath the surface there. He's all about plans and systems, you can't allow for injuries but you can't possible expect such a key player to make such a stupid decision and ruin it all.

My guess is he's thoroughly fed up of all the Ashley stuff by now. Even that nobody interviewer trying to create an angle by suggesting he specifically doesn't want to see Ashley based on one answer.

Looks fucking raging underneath the surface there. He's all about plans and systems, you can't allow for injuries but you can't possible expect such a key player to make such a stupid decision and ruin it all.

My guess is he's thoroughly fed up of all the Ashley stuff by now. Even that nobody interviewer trying to create an angle by suggesting he specifically doesn't want to see Ashley based on one answer.

Plus no more signings

Guest neesy111

was there a 'new' version of Blaydon Races at the match today?

Yes.  It was the fans version from last season.

On train going home after match. Haven't read all the previous stuff so apologies if already said. Why do we play two scared midgets as strikers ?Neither ever gel. At Su was good today but Shellvey has reached his sell by date. Is there a more stupid Premier player ? Lascelles should not be near the first team and Mbemba did ok when he came on.

It is obvious to everyone we need two strikers and a new playmaker. Having said that I did like the look of Merino when he came on.

Dreading the Huddersfield game if that is the attack we have next week

Some positives from it - Atsu had the best game that I've seen him play. Looked confident and eager to try things.

Merino seemed to transform the whole mentality of the side. All of a sudden, we started passing the ball. Having someone in there who is genuinely comfortable on the ball makes a big difference.

Lejeune looked good until he was crocked.

But the opposition were a class above us.

Some positives from it - Atsu had the best game that I've seen him play. Looked confident and eager to try things.

Merino seemed to transform the whole mentality of the side. All of a sudden, we started passing the ball. Having someone in there who is genuinely comfortable on the ball makes a big difference.

Lejeune looked good until he was crocked.

But the opposition were a class above us.

Pretty good, simple summary.

Quite excited to see merino. Hopefully shelvey comes back stronger and him and merino could be quite a decent pairing.

Unsure about the Rafa interview,.not sure if he couldn't be arsed.to talk about Ashley.