Joselu (now playing for Real Madrid)

Dave

Regardless of budget,I don't think we'll bring in anyone unless Rafa believes they can contribute. I can't be constantly annoyed with every signing because they aren't more expensive, it's too tiring.

This is the key thing for me. Rafa won't bring in people that he knows nothing about, just because he is told to do so a la Pardew etc.

Some may not be his first choices, but they will still be players he sees something in, and are valuable pieces.

Regardless of budget,I don't think we'll bring in anyone unless Rafa believes they can contribute. I can't be constantly annoyed with every signing because they aren't more expensive, it's too tiring.

This is the key thing for me. Rafa won't bring in people that he knows nothing about, just because he is told to do so a la Pardew etc.

Some may not be his first choices, but they will still be players he sees something in, and are valuable pieces.

Yep, but need a queen and a bishop, not just pawns... Oh, not sure about how that metaphor is going to come over now. Make that a knight and a bishop; a castle would be good too.

Should have just kept Murphy if this was the "replacement".

This guy isn't any better than Murphy (in fact he's probably worse).

I was down for getting rid of Murphy because thought we'd sign a better player and improve the squad.

Underwhelming.

Fuck off man, Murphy would be abysmal in the Premier League.  He seriously struggled with his overall game in the Championship, but did manage to pop up with some important goals.  At Premier League level though he'd be completely unacceptable.

His goal record is gash man. There's a reason he's £5 million in this market.

His record is about a goal every 2 games (look at minutes played not just appearances), the real question hanging over him for me isn't his goal record but why he seems to get so little time on the pitch.  Either way that doesn't justify the idea of instead keeping a 35 year old who moves like a bus and has never scored a single goal in the Premier League.

You also said he's scored 36 goals since 2009, he didn't even really get started till 2012, either way 36 goals in 128 appearances (89 full games in minutes on the pitch).  Like I said for me its not his goal scoring record which is the worry.  Its the fact that at Stoke he seemed to get only fleeting appearances, then went to Depor where he only got fleeting appearances.

I'm going to give this guy the benefit of the doubt especially since Stoke fans generally seem bitter about selling him. I'd be satisfied with this window if we spent a considerable amount on either a striker or a #10. Maybe we can do with Gayle, Joselu and Mitro until January or later but we can absolutely not do without a #10. Benitez seems very insistent on playing a #10 so it's imperative we have a proper player for that position as there is absolutely no one in the squad who has the first idea of playing as one.

Given we already stuck with Shelvey's indiscipline, if signing Joselu means Mitrovic is less likely to go full scale radge during an important match when Gayle inevitably gets an injury, I'm all for it. Wish it was a higher key signing, but as ever, I trust in Rafa.

Guest Bordertoon

I'm going to give this guy the benefit of the doubt especially since Stoke fans generally seem bitter about selling him. I'd be satisfied with this window if we spent a considerable amount on either a striker or a #10. Maybe we can do with Gayle, Joselu and Mitro until January or later but we can absolutely not do without a #10. Benitez seems very insistent on playing a #10 so it's imperative we have a proper player for that position as there is absolutely no one in the squad who has the first idea of playing as one.

Agree overall, although I do think that Siem de Jong has a good idea of playing the #10 role, but whether he has the pace, power, and life expectancy to do so in the EPL is another matter ... not to mention the faith of Rafa to give him the opportunity to do so.

If Joselu just represent a replacement for Murphy then it's a good deal.  The problem, however, is that we all know Rafa got no cash left, and Joselu probably is our last signing.  That's what disappoint people most, and also cast doubt on whether Joselu worths to be our last bullet.

To me, I would rather use 6-7m to sign one more CB as Lacelles is unusable and we need cover for injured Lajuene.  Mitrovic and Perez could do a job when Gayle is injured, and we still have de Jong. We actually not that short handed for the striker position.  It is the lack of quality there, not quantity.

Poor signing imo, although I know Rafa hands' tied.

His second goal against St. Pauli in pre-season is a thing of beauty.

Yep, looks like he knows how to put his foot through it.

1.92m tall and has almost always played as CF by the looks. The "Murphy replacement" tag seems appropriate.

While we could do with a world class striker, we also need more players who will score ANY when Gayle isn't playing. 10 goals would place him in the top scorers for some seasons :lol:

2004/05 – Alan Shearer & Craig Bellamy (7)

2005/06 – Alan Shearer (10)

2006/07 – Obafemi Martins (11)

2007/08 – Michael Owen (11)

2008/09 – Obafemi Martins & Michael Owen (8)

2009/10 – Kevin Nolan & Andy Carroll (17)

2010/11 – Kevin Nolan (12)

2011/12 – Demba Ba (16)

2012/13 – Demba Ba (13)

2013/14 – Loic Remy (14)

2014/15 – Papiss Cisse (11)

The cause for concern is the opportunity cost. This is almost certainly THE striker signing - there won't be another.  In terms of goals, his CV is no better than Riviere's was when he arrived. I remember hearing a lot of people justifying that one too.

Of course we have to get behind him and the reaction of Stoke fans gives us some hope that maybe this is a player who has just been f*cked about and will hit the ground running at a club who give him a chance. You could make that argument for Mitrovic (5 years younger), who has also barely started consecutive games and his manager doesn't seem to rate him. Rafa must see something in Joselu, but he is probably getting desperate now as well.

The opportunity cost is a big deal because, like many others, I felt all summer that the striker position was THE most important signing we would make this summer. We went down last time by just a couple of points and wasted big chances in tight games. The mackems had an even worse team but stayed up thanks to Defoe nicking points they scarcely deserved. I look at our forwards and none of them have shown they can do that - with any consistency - at a high level.

If Joselu just represent a replacement for Murphy then it's a good deal.  The problem, however, is that we all know Rafa got no cash left, and Joselu probably is our last signing.  That's what disappoint people most, and also cast doubt on whether Joselu worths to be our last bullet.

To me, I would rather use 6-7m to sign one more CB as Lacelles is unusable and we need cover for injured Lajuene.  Mitrovic and Perez could do a job when Gayle is injured, and we still have de Jong. We actually not that short handed for the striker position.  It is the lack of quality there, not quantity.

Top post. Totally agree that Lacelle is unusable. I think Rafa knows that he's fucking shit so he gave him captain to cheer him up. Don't sign Jocelu please! Sign a CB!!!

Top post. Totally agree that Lacelle is unusable. I think Rafa knows that he's f***ing s*** so he gave him captain to cheer him up. Don't sign Jocelu please! Sign a CB!!!

You're both mental.

Top post. Totally agree that Lacelle is unusable. I think Rafa knows that he's f***ing s*** so he gave him captain to cheer him up. Don't sign Jocelu please! Sign a CB!!!

You're both mental.

Thanks. My friend,

Lascelles unusable? He was being linked with Chelsea less than a year ago man.  :lol:

I totally understand his flaws but he's a young lad, a young lad with a good attitude too. I think he will do fine while Lejeune is out.

He is unusable.  I ain't sure what happened but his decisions and positioning during last game is absolutely shocking.  His form has been very bad and whilst we did give him the benefit of the doubt for his injury, that should be cleared by now.

Another several goals conceded and you will understand why we need a backup CB asap, especially when Rafa clearly doesn't rate Mbemba.