Joselu (now playing for Real Madrid)

Dave

Really poor goal record. Deportivo last season were (yet again) woefully short on goals, and had one of the worst home records across the major leagues across Europe. The fact he played 24 games for them and only scored 6 goals isn't outstanding, however I think the team in general were quite poor.

4 goals in 27 Stoke appearances? Hmmm. He will have to do but it is very, very evident that he is simply top of our 'what money we have left' list. You never know he could be a canny signing but in reality £5m speaks for itself and at his age (27, which for us is unusual) I think it will very much be a case of you get what you pay for!

It was the same with Craig Bellamy, he was highly rated when he first came on the radar, then he had a season in the Premier where he didn't score many under Strachan I think. SBR still rated him though, took a punt and the rest is history. Joselu was highly rated when Stoke bought him right? Could be a similar situation here. Bobby Robson bought some duds as well btw, for those who are unconvinced by Rafa's signing record.

At £5m he's a very low risk buy. Also, he's another player with a point to prove, a little prem experience and time still on his side.

We all wanted a £20m striker but we'll see how this goes, I wish him well.

In my opinion at this point the money spent really has nothing to do with how much of a risk a player is. It's whether he can deliver or not.

On those terms I'd say its moderately risky signing but yeah, hopefully pays off.

People saying "if Rafa wants him"

Rafa has also bought some utter shite...

Name one manager who hasn't made the odd shit signing?

But its not the odd shit signing though is it?

Lazaar, Gamez, Selz, Hanley, Diame

Thats 5 signings that we can't shift..

If the idea is to build a base from which we can spend a lot more next season from the increased TV revenue than I'm on board with these kind of signings because they are probably good enough to get us mid table with Rafa as manager, but if these are the kind of permanent deals season upon season we are going for then I can never see us winning a cup or bridging the gap to the top 6/7/8.

At 5 million you cant complain and hes not complete garbage player but I dont think hes a goalscorer, which is completely what we should be looking for. Not really convinced by it but I suppose its a signing, shouldnt really be getting to that stage though.

I think we'll shift all of those assuming we want to, might have to take a bit of a hit on the fee to offset the wages, but that's the price of promotion which is why we bought them in the first place.

Guest firetotheworks

Lazaar and Selz are the only two in that list that you can count as outright failures imo. The rest did what they were brought in to do, even Diame who under-performed.

At £5m he's a very low risk buy. Also, he's another player with a point to prove, a little prem experience and time still on his side.

Technically Lazaar, Hanley etc were low risk signings, look at that's effecting us now.

I personally wouldn't want another player we'd just have to replace in a year or so just because he's cheap.

Hopefully he's not that, but I'd be very concerned with "low risk"  signings.

Technically Lazaar, Hanley etc were low risk signings, look at that's effecting us now.

I personally wouldn't want another player we'd just have to replace in a year or so just because he's cheap.

Hopefully he's not that, but I'd be very concerned with "low risk"  signings.

Everything I was worried about the Murphy signing came true for a lot of others and they are now holding us back. However it's the likes of Haidara, Krul, Saviet, Colback, Rivière, De Jong & Mitrovic which are having more impact when not having the space and money to bring others in. They have either already been loaned out and failed, on far too much compared to their talent, or had suspect injury records meaning they are dead weights around our neck. There's still hope to shift Hanley to a championship club, even loan out Lazaar (you never know he may still have a future here)

No idea how Joselu will turn out, but he's pretty much going to be low risk due to what we got back from Murphy in fee and wages, so not a bad upgrade.

Bit strange that we cant shift Selz, yet he is currently not at the club.

Yeah, I mean Krul didn't go out on loan last year too did he?

Not sure what that has to do with you stating that we cant shift Selz.

I'd imagine it's because we might still have the same problem next year when Sels returns and we can't shift him because of wages/his ability. Same with Krul

I can't believe we're stooping as low as to sign Real Madrid rejects. First Michael Owen, now this.  :scared:

Speaking of that prick, heard him on an radio advert today for a personal injury claim solicitor. Literally said 'I'm Michael Owen and I know a lot about being injured' the cheeky c***. [emoji38]

Heard that when I was in the shower the other day. Nearly chopped my dick off with the razor.

Could have been a claim that.

Bit strange that we cant shift Selz, yet he is currently not at the club.

Yeah, I mean Krul didn't go out on loan last year too did he?

Not sure what that has to do with you stating that we cant shift Selz.

I'd imagine it's because we might still have the same problem next year when Sels returns and we can't shift him because of wages/his ability. Same with Krul

Or maybe, Anderlecht have an obligation to buy after x games.

Nobody knows that they do and nobody knows that they don't, therefore suggesting we cant shift Selz is a load of bollocks. He's out on loan all season, with at least a proportion of his wages covered, he's hardly evidence of a shocking Benitez signing that we're lumbered with for years. (which was the original and incorrect point)

Well we don't know if Sels is going to be lumbered with us for years or not until we've got him off the books permanently which I assume was the original point

From the Chronicle:

The Belgian club are expected to pay Sels ’ full wage packet but the arrangement does not contain a buyout clause at the end of the season.

Just because we've got a club to loan him doesn't mean we've shifted them. See also Riviere, Saivet, Krul and de Jong