Other clubs' transfers

Greg

Fair play to Fraser Forster, Stocksfield lad has done good. Pretty much the end of your career as a keeper when you accept a bench role but don't blame him one bit.

On Lampard/Gerrard:

I pretty much agree with everyone else on Lampard, he's a shitehouse living off his playing career. I don't think he will fail that quickly at Everton, I think it may be more of a slow burner with him. In some ways that's more dangerous because he might lull them into a false sense of security. One thing is for sure, they will be tactically all over the place and entirely unprepared.

Gerrard is a bit different, firstly if things aren't going well, I suspect he will at least look for solutions and try to learn from mistakes. He's also a more rounded character than Lampard, he will at least work hard to try and achieve something. Ultimately though, I'm not convinced about him tactically. I'd certainly like to hear from @brummieabout where rates Gerrard. Does he look like he has a clear plan or way of playing?

4 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Done better than Alnwick did. Another win for Stocksfield over Prudhoe. I bet Forster never got to double team some random horror mind. So swings and roundabouts

Alnwick a bit of a lad like?[emoji38]

8 minutes ago, STM said:

Think some taxi driver found his or his mates phone he left in the taxi and was vids of them and some lass(es). Sold to the press and ended his Spurs career I seem to remember. 

This is Ben, not Jak btw. Forgot Jak existed tbf.

Edited by Super Duper Branko Strupar

5 minutes ago, STM said:

The Alnwick that was at the mackems was caught on film as part of a double team on some jailbait lass who worked at Toni & Guy. Think Liam Lawrence was the other party. One of their midfielders was stood in the corner, tugging happily away.

1 hour ago, STM said:

On Lampard/Gerrard:

I pretty much agree with everyone else on Lampard, he's a shitehouse living off his playing career. I don't think he will fail that quickly at Everton, I think it may be more of a slow burner with him. In some ways that's more dangerous because he might lull them into a false sense of security. One thing is for sure, they will be tactically all over the place and entirely unprepared.

Gerrard is a bit different, firstly if things aren't going well, I suspect he will at least look for solutions and try to learn from mistakes. He's also a more rounded character than Lampard, he will at least work hard to try and achieve something. Ultimately though, I'm not convinced about him tactically. I'd certainly like to hear from @brummieabout where rates Gerrard. Does he look like he has a clear plan or way of playing?

It is difficult to rate Gerrard, as he came into the club in challenging circumstances, but he does have a way to play - likes the front three narrow, and the full backs pushing up. Although he's changed set ups a few times.

I wasn't keen when he signed, but he's got to get at least a couple of windows and a season, really.

He's inherited an unbalanced squad which had just lost our best player in decades, and hadn't settled in terms of the new purchases.

25 minutes ago, brummie said:

It is difficult to rate Gerrard, as he came into the club in challenging circumstances, but he does have a way to play - likes the front three narrow, and the full backs pushing up. Although he's changed set ups a few times.

I wasn't keen when he signed, but he's got to get at least a couple of windows and a season, really.

He's inherited an unbalanced squad which had just lost our best player in decades, and hadn't settled in terms of the new purchases.

Gerrard looks to have a lot more potential than Lampard. This post and your others about Lampard’s failings are spot on.

I think I’d just be sick to death of his Liverpool connection totally overwhelming in every conversation about him or my club.

Lampard/Chelsea connection was barely mentioned when they played Everton a few weeks back. This weekend it was relentless about Gerrard and Liverpool and they weren’t even playing them.

Villa havent impressed me at all under Gerard, however he clearly has a lot of pull to get players in which frankly might make him worthwhile. He is apparently very good at taking advice from his team and delegating so may be able to mitigate if he's hardly a tactical genius. Still I'd be a bit concerned that they were a bit of a soft touch of a team, and think i heard they do the least running of any premier league team?

1 hour ago, Slim said:

Rumours is Villa offered 60k more than us.

We apparently run a strict wages policy - Coutinho had to fit in with that too, hence the 70% pay cut.

If there's a difference, it is as Kamara said - we sent Gerrard, Lange (head of recruitment) and Purslow out there to see him several times, including Gerrard going to see him at his home.

Whatever we're paying him, he could have got elsewhere.

I didn't like the Gerrard appointment, but I must admit, the Coutinho and Kamara signings suggest that we're using his profile to sign players Dean Smith would never have been able to sign.

Think about it - 17m for Coutinho and Kamara. If we'd been offered that several months ago, we wouldn't have believed it. 

56 minutes ago, brummie said:

We apparently run a strict wages policy - Coutinho had to fit in with that too, hence the 70% pay cut.

If there's a difference, it is as Kamara said - we sent Gerrard, Lange (head of recruitment) and Purslow out there to see him several times, including Gerrard going to see him at his home.

Whatever we're paying him, he could have got elsewhere.

I didn't like the Gerrard appointment, but I must admit, the Coutinho and Kamara signings suggest that we're using his profile to sign players Dean Smith would never have been able to sign.

Think about it - 17m for Coutinho and Kamara. If we'd been offered that several months ago, we wouldn't have believed it. 

Well done Villa.

I'm happy for you, Brummie at least !!

Difference between Lampard and Gerrard definitely seems to be profile. Gerrard can attract players on his name value, whereas it doesn't really seem like Lampard can so far. I don't rate either as a manager but Gerrard is levels above Lampard. Lampard has all the makings of a 'PFM'.

From the receding hairline to the expanding wasteline, Lampard is every inch the heir to the PFM throne.

He'll stink out top-level football for a good few years yet, getting jobs he's woefully unqualified for and getting plaudits from his media pals for keeping teams hovering above the relegation zone year after year.