Other clubs' transfers

Greg

1 hour ago, cubaricho said:

I’d probably whisper this part since we’re clearly about to do the same thing. :lol: 

Aren't there rules kicking in soon that will limit how many players can be loaned out, and then reducing this amount over a few years? Think we're too late to exploit the loan system the way Chelsea has.

1 hour ago, Decky said:

The man is gonna be having kick abouts for fun in a dog shit league in a hot country, this is retirement. While making about £400 odd million in the process. :lol: 

Disgusting money to pay a footballer.

1 hour ago, Manxst said:

Have some dignity and don’t rape women…

so much for leaving Man Utd to go to another top/CL club.

sad end to an amazing career. He’ll now be seen as a level slightly below Messi forever though.  

Nah, not because of this move.

Really don’t understand ronaldo 

Does he need the money? 

This just completely contradicts what he was saying in the interview

Why complain about the training ground etc when this is what you are going to 

Or did he really think he was going to be able to move to a big European club on bid money

10 minutes ago, tgarve said:

Or did he really think he was going to be able to move to a big European club on bid money

In his head, he was going to move to a Bayern or Napoli (not even a ‘Sporting’) and hammer gone some CL goals to add to his tally and make Man Utd look foolish. In reality, it was never going to happen. He should’ve accepted that he has very little time left in the game, and used his experience for the good of the game in passing his knowledge to younger players who would’ve benefitted immensely- but that would’ve taken the focus and media away from himself which just isn’t in his makeup. Sad end to a great career (up to the start of this season). 

33 minutes ago, tgarve said:

Really don’t understand ronaldo 

Does he need the money? 

This just completely contradicts what he was saying in the interview

Why complain about the training ground etc when this is what you are going to 

It’s just all about him and always has been. Fine when everything is firing on all cylinders.  Now it isn’t he is probably being led by a visceral  ‘need to feed’ (….his ego, not bank). So he’s off to somewhere that’ll treat him like a prince. 

3 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Rapist or not. Dickhead or not. Narcissist or not. 

Someone's offered him £400m ffs and people are saying he should go back to Portugal or coach kids ????

His life choice has been to achieve sporting greatness, not monetary success (although that has obviously come as a by product of his sporting prowess). He’s just ripped that up and done a complete about turn. I wasn’t saying he should coach kids- it was more stay at Man Utd (on £500kpw), still get playing time and chance of trophies, but acknowledge that you won’t play as much as you want and use the time to pass your experience on. 

I imagine his approach has been:

I need to be the most important person at the club

I need to ensure I’m never undermined 

I need to paid sums that have never been seen before

This has helped his ego to deal with the fact that he isn’t a world class player any longer 

He's had an incredible career but he's gone out in a way that will add a permanent blemish. I'm sure when he did that ridiculous interview with Piers Morgan he thought he would tear it up at the World Cup and get signed by somebody else. If anything he basically did the opposite and proved he was done at the top level. Messi winning it at the same time as all that nonsense will be what a lot of people remember of him bowing out of the game.

That said if he was willing to take a pay cut or change his expectations for starting games there is no doubt there would have been clubs willing to sign him and I'm sure he would have had lots to offer. It's a thing both he and Messi seem to have tbh. Being the highest paid players in the game is all part and parcel of their insationable battle to be the best over the last 15 years. There is absolutely no willingness to reduce their earning potential. Messi signing that deal with the Saudis is probably even part of this decision for Ronaldo.

Edited by ponsaelius

41 minutes ago, Manxst said:

His life choice has been to achieve sporting greatness, not monetary success (although that has obviously come as a by product of his sporting prowess). He’s just ripped that up and done a complete about turn. I wasn’t saying he should coach kids- it was more stay at Man Utd (on £500kpw), still get playing time and chance of trophies, but acknowledge that you won’t play as much as you want and use the time to pass your experience on. 

I know. Im not arguing against his hypocrisy or character flaws ? but it's £400m ?

I've got principles myself but for £400m "I've got these other ones"

?

You can’t really condemn Ronaldo for choosing to go over there for such a huge pay day. He’s done it all and established himself as one of the GOAT players. It says more about the game itself than the player when such sums are being thrown at them. Football definitely needs a reset like. Has he tarnished his career somewhat? Undoubtedly, but I’m sure he doesn’t really care at this point.