Other clubs' transfers

Greg

1 hour ago, cubaricho said:

If Messi is actually going to MLS, then the brass at MLS need to be blowing Ronaldo’s agent’s phone up. The marketing potential for a few years of Messi v Ronaldo is insane. 

Or they both end up at Miami. Together at last.

15 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I dont think we would pay 70mill for a midfielder. We would back ourselves to find a player of similar quality for half of that price. 

I do think Howe would get far more out of Rice in our midfield 3. Hed be perfect to be the sitting midfielder. 

Having been unengaged with most football for a while until the takeover, I'm still reconciling how good Rice actually is in my mind. I still remember Slongstaff being compared favourably against him. :lol: Obviously our boy is getting back on track under Eddie but still funny to think back to. 

Difficult to be certain since they aren't exactly the same type of midfielder, but for me Longstaff was comfortably better than Rice during his purple patch under Rafa. 

Longstaff is getting back on track, but in a different way than what made him so exciting a few years ago.

Getting Rice in midfield together with Joelinton & Bruno, with Willock, Longstaff & Anderson as back-ups sounds very solid. If we are prepared to pay ~£60m for Isak, I don't see why we wouldn't pay ~£70m for Rice. Getting him here unless we manage to qualify for CL though will be a bigger task, and he'd shatter our wage structure.

34 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

He would want Chelsea level wages though. So best he goes to Chelsea.

Depends what he wants from his career if he went to Chelsea I think we’re more likely to win something than them in the next 5 years.

Feels like he’s very London so not sure how he’d be up here.

I like Rice but that sort of link does nothing for me at all. It's so much more joyful seeing us identify and secure slightly lesser known talents, or lesser 'obvious' talents. Like Isak is about my limit; coveted, well-known if you follow European football, but still very much unproven and not signed only because we're the only ones capable of affording him. Going out and blowing £70million on an established Premier League star is very ESL club-ish, which I've never wanted for us. It would be nice if he just stayed where he is tbh.

1 hour ago, RodneyCisse said:

Depends what he wants from his career if he went to Chelsea I think we’re more likely to win something than them in the next 5 years.

I don't think so. Chelsea win things and did so shortly before Abramovic.

I think the sterile nature of the fanbase helps them win trophies. 

Edited by The College Dropout