Other clubs' transfers

Greg

I don't get it, Chelsea made about a £150m loss last year, another £100m loss the year before that yet they can still piss money away like it's going out of fashion.

Is there some reasonable explanation for this that I'm missing?  I thought FFP said you could only lose £105m over a 3 year period.

We need someone who understands football finance to come in here and explain it as I haven’t got a clue but wasn’t there something about Abramovich writing off the club’s debt that allowed them to spend like this? Which is insane if true

9 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Sad conclusion to a great career. Never liked him but he didn’t need the payday, he could have surely found a better level to have continued at competitively but whatever. Will be interesting to see if he can maintain the hunger playing in that league 

He did a summer your around Europe and all the top clubs rejected him

I don't think his ego could allow him to play for a mid-table club and they wouldn't be able to afford it, so it kind of makes sense he'll try to make as much money as he can

16 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Sad conclusion to a great career. Never liked him but he didn’t need the payday, he could have surely found a better level to have continued at competitively but whatever. Will be interesting to see if he can maintain the hunger playing in that league 

I think a lot of older stars will follow him Rumours Messi will do a season before going to USA.

25 minutes ago, gbandit said:

We need someone who understands football finance to come in here and explain it as I haven’t got a clue but wasn’t there something about Abramovich writing off the club’s debt that allowed them to spend like this? Which is insane if true

How about that fella from RTG?

20 minutes ago, gbandit said:

I'm sure as hell not that football finance expert but I think this is pretty much the most it has been explained for the layman; that Chelsea's debt in the main were loans from Abramovich which were all wiped as part of the purchase.

Although the more I think about it, the less I understand exactly how that helped Chelsea's subsequent spending power, as FFP is based on income generated v spend so how wiping debt suddenly means they didn't spend that prior money is beyond me.

3 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

I’d probably whisper this part since we’re clearly about to do the same thing. :lol: 

Not for a little while as we need to replace several first team ‘squad’ players first. I don’t think we’ll be buying tens of youth players to loan when we’ve still got Lewis, Dummett, Ritchie etc plying to get on the bench. Any youth players coming in will be close to first team action I think. 

4 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

have some dignity and retire...

Have some dignity and don’t rape women…

so much for leaving Man Utd to go to another top/CL club.

sad end to an amazing career. He’ll now be seen as a level slightly below Messi forever though.  

Edited by Manxst

7 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

have some dignity and retire...

The man is gonna be having kick abouts for fun in a dog shit league in a hot country, this is retirement. While making about £400 odd million in the process. :lol: 

Could have so easily just dropped his wages and gone to Sporting or another Portugese club, they'd have lost their shit to have him. Would allow him to put a decent cap on his career, and then always go for a season or two in the ME after that. This cunt was complaining about the standards at Man Utd a few months ago, now he's gone to a complete joke of a league for the cash. Messi winning the WC must have absolutely broken him, you love to see it

Wonder if he'll keep playing for Portugal or indeed keep getting selected by the new manager. If he'd stayed in Europe (even in Portugal) then he would have a legitimate justification for a manager to keep selecting him. Now it is absolutely reasonable to essentially view him as retired and stop picking him.

If the above happens and Messi keeps playing - there's probably a reasonable chance he could be overtaken on the international cap/goal records.