Other clubs' transfers

Greg

Just now, Deuce said:

Antony aside, I don’t think we should be too critical of ManU’s transfer dealings last season given that they finished above us.

I agree, but not on the basis they finished above us we were relegation fodder the season before.

9 minutes ago, rgk_lfc said:

Sorry. Been very busy the past month. New job and recently became a dad :). Football is a bit low on my list of priorities for the next few months. I honestly have nothing insightful to add other than bewilderment. 

I have no clue why we went all in for Caicedo. I have posted here that one needs to be careful about spending huge sums of money on players from clubs that play in well-defined systems, such as Brighton, Dortmund, RB, etc. There will always be exceptions, such as Haaland, Lewa, and Gundogan, but for the most part, they won't live up to the price tag. Caicedo is a great player, but not sure about breaking the British transfer record for him. The part I don't like is our consistent attempts at trying to sign players who are obviously going to other clubs - Tchouameni, Bellingham, Caicedo, and now Lavia also. 

I am very happy about the Mac Allister and Szoboszlai purchases. We still need a number 6. Endo can be a stopgap. We also have a collection of youngsters - Harvey Elliott, Bajcetic, Curtis Jones - who all have shown that they belong to the premier league but are still unsure if we rely on them over the season for a top 4 finish. Definitely expecting a season in transition. 

Congratulations on becoming a dad.

2 minutes ago, Deuce said:

Antony aside, I don’t think we should be too critical of ManU’s transfer dealings last season given that they finished above us.

1 minute ago, Alberto2005 said:

I agree, but not on the basis they finished above us we were relegation fodder the season before.

Not to mention they only finished a place higher, yet with a GD of -20. Plus having started in a much stronger position both on and off the pitch, AND having a €-704m net transfer spend for the last 5 years compared to our own €-486m (according to transfermrkt).

16 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Not to mention they only finished a place higher, yet with a GD of -20. Plus having started in a much stronger position both on and off the pitch, AND having a €-704m net transfer spend for the last 5 years compared to our own €-486m (according to transfermrkt).

Interesting way to look at it. We were coming off the back of the horrible Solskjaer/Rangnick season whereas you had the takeover and an injection of fresh players and a new manager. Very debatable that we were in a much stronger position on the pitch. 

GD of -20 looks worse than what it was as well. A few really bad days, e.g. shipping 17 goals in 3 games against Brentford, City and Liverpool. We still had the most clean sheets in the league last year which is often forgotten about. 

We also beat you in a cup final, got to the final of the FA Cup and had a long run in Europe despite an extensive injury list towards the end of the season as well as well as losing Ronaldo mid-season leaving us with no proper #9 for the remainder of the season. 

Let's not try to downplay any achievements. We both had excellent seasons given the expectations coming in to 22/23.

2 hours ago, Froggy said:

Malacia - signed as backup full back. Played well majority of the games he's played. Success. 

Casemiro - remains to be seen if his legs are going this year, but he was most certainly a success based on last year. 

Martinez - huge success.

Eriksen - huge success. 

Mount, Onana, Hojlund - combined total of 331 minutes so far. Far too early to judge any of these players. 

Antony - dog water

Would say it's harsh to call his transfers poor. 80% hit rate unless you're writing off players after two games. 

Casemiro, Eriksen, Mount, Bruno. I don’t think that’s the profile of CMs ETH would ideally want.  They all very talented footballers but picking 3 atm has big disadvantages.  

And most of those lads aren’t good in the air. Which is a massive disadvantage offensively and defensively.  Even Guardiola has embraced the idea that you need a physical squad.  

2 minutes ago, Dokko said:

And Diaby, Kamara and Digne. 

We wanted Carlos and Digne at the same time as getting Wood (fnarr fnarr). We've moved on since then. Was there anything in the Kamara interest beyond paper talk.

17 minutes ago, madras said:

We wanted Carlos and Digne at the same time as getting Wood (fnarr fnarr). We've moved on since then. Was there anything in the Kamara interest beyond paper talk.

We wanted Kamara under Bruce. Never seemed to be any firm interest in Diaby. We went big on Carlos though.

47 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

We wanted Kamara under Bruce. Never seemed to be any firm interest in Diaby. We went big on Carlos though.

At the same time as Wood and Targett. Our sights have changed somewhat since then.

6 hours ago, Froggy said:

Eriksen - huge success. 

Has he been a huge success? Regardless of being on a free I'm sure he had a decent sign on bonus and wages. He never looks anything special to me, and for an attacking midfielder he rarely contributes with goals or assists. Genuine question btw :lol: I don't watch a whole lot of Man Utd, and certainly don't go looking for obscure stats to see if he's successful by such and such metric

5 hours ago, rgk_lfc said:

Sorry. Been very busy the past month. New job and recently became a dad :). Football is a bit low on my list of priorities for the next few months. I honestly have nothing insightful to add other than bewilderment. 

I have no clue why we went all in for Caicedo. I have posted here that one needs to be careful about spending huge sums of money on players from clubs that play in well-defined systems, such as Brighton, Dortmund, RB, etc. There will always be exceptions, such as Haaland, Lewa, and Gundogan, but for the most part, they won't live up to the price tag. Caicedo is a great player, but not sure about breaking the British transfer record for him. The part I don't like is our consistent attempts at trying to sign players who are obviously going to other clubs - Tchouameni, Bellingham, Caicedo, and now Lavia also. 

I am very happy about the Mac Allister and Szoboszlai purchases. We still need a number 6. Endo can be a stopgap. We also have a collection of youngsters - Harvey Elliott, Bajcetic, Curtis Jones - who all have shown that they belong to the premier league but are still unsure if we rely on them over the season for a top 4 finish. Definitely expecting a season in transition. 

Cracking post, thanks for sharing and congratulations on the new arrival 

6 hours ago, Conjo said:

Has he been a huge success? Regardless of being on a free I'm sure he had a decent sign on bonus and wages. He never looks anything special to me, and for an attacking midfielder he rarely contributes with goals or assists. Genuine question btw :lol: I don't watch a whole lot of Man Utd, and certainly don't go looking for obscure stats to see if he's successful by such and such metric

Yeah Eriksen has been brilliant for us and he was very important to us before your boy Andy Carroll wrecked his ankle. His legs have gone now mind, which is why Ten Hag wanted Mount to give us more energy in midfield, but Eriksen is/was a maestro. An extremely effective deep lying playmaker. 

He's on 150k a week as well by the way, which I think is perfectly reasonable and will look like a steal if Mount continues this form while sitting on 200k plus bonuses. 

We all want Eriksen to start at the weekend.

It’s just very odd that Mount hasn’t nailed down a position at his age and it’s not like a Foden situation or even a Gordon situation where part of the reason is that they’ve got enough versatility to play multiple positions well. Mount has generally been useless for England and Chelsea were clearly very happy to get rid, tells a story 

34 minutes ago, gbandit said:

It’s just very odd that Mount hasn’t nailed down a position at his age and it’s not like a Foden situation or even a Gordon situation where part of the reason is that they’ve got enough versatility to play multiple positions well. Mount has generally been useless for England and Chelsea were clearly very happy to get rid, tells a story 

Since his debut for Chelsea Mount tops nearly every attacking metric for them mind. Most goals, most assists, most chances created etc. He just had a bad year last year.

I'm confident he'll be a good player for us, but there's definitely confusion in our midfield at the minute. It will take a few weeks to sort out by the looks of it. 

2 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Since his debut for Chelsea Mount tops nearly every attacking metric for them mind. Most goals, most assists, most chances created etc. He just had a bad year last year.

I'm confident he'll be a good player for us, but there's definitely confusion in our midfield at the minute. It will take a few weeks to sort out by the looks of it. 

That’s what I find weird though, he clearly did play very well for Chelsea, I saw him have a bunch of quality matches but they were happy to get rid of him. I didn’t follow his exit that closely but he grew up through the Chelsea academy right? Just feels odd the way he ended up leaving at such a young age. I think he can be bullied out of games quite easily and he’s probably not fast enough or technically brilliant enough to compensate for that. Do think he’ll end up having a decent career, just don’t think he’s at the level you need to be fighting for the top 3 places