Other clubs' transfers

Greg

6 hours ago, TaylorJ_01 said:

At what point would someone investigate collusion? That'd be quarter of a billion for 4 30+ year olds, plus taking all their hefty wages off the books.

He is one of the worlds best though.  Even at 31.  They are also setting new precedents which the Premier League rules are quite clear on.

Yes, they could maybe spend a billion on players if they sold him based on FFP but they don't have unlimited backing.  They will spend what the club generates so they'll have to replace him for that.  I'm sure you can get one hell of a player for that, but there is only Mbappe at that price point so they'll have to sign a few and you arent guaranteed to get the return in Goal contributions that Salah will.   You could spend that on 2 or 3 players and not necessarily be as good as if he was in it for the next 2 years.

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

They’re prioritising because clearly those ludicrously inflated fees have a negative effect on NUFC, given they’re handing money to our rivals. 

It’s their money and it makes sense they’d prioritise their own teams, tbf. 

PIF owns around $700 billion worth of assets, I'd be surprised if there's much joined-up thinking from project to project.

More importantly we've seen with LIV Golf and the Saudi league, they don't fuck around. PIF want us to be number one, that means they'll provide the finances for the best academy, training facilities, infrastructure, staff and players. They won't be worrying about what everyone else is doing. They'll have huge ambitions for both us and their own domestic league.

Anyway, let's see to what extent they're prioritising their domestic league over NUFC.

Man City - Around £50 million on two players

Arsenal - N/A

Man United - Around £5 million on one player 

Liverpool - Around £50 million on three players 

Chelsea - Around £35 million on three players 

Spurs - N/A

Villa - N/A

Brighton - N/A

It's marginally helped the wage bill of three clubs who would be doing absolutely fine regardless.

When you consider they've plough £350 million in to the first team alone, them prioritising their domestic league just doesn't stack up.

Edited by The Prophet

The Saudi league wasn't really relevant before this season though was it.  So that £350m figure is cherry picking. Getting Henderson and Fabinho off Liverpool's wage bill and potentially Salah also if it does happen and gifting them north of £250m to a direct rival whilst we have FFP to worry about could be huge down the line.

2 hours ago, Jaqen said:

People said they were bailing Chelsea out but Arsenal and Man United gave them £120m for Mount with one year on his contract and Havertz. Even we will give them £30m for Hall. 

Fair enough if the pay that fee for Salah it will benefit Liverpool in the long term but it definitely lowers there chance at top 4 this season. 

Their aim is to make Newcatle the biggest club in Europe and I don't think they will ever hold back from spending as much as they are financially allowed to make that happen. 

You’re comparing market figures for those players with the inflated fees and wages being offered by clubs in KSA. 

No European club is going to offer anything like what is being offered for Salah, given his age

41 minutes ago, Menace said:

The Saudi league wasn't really relevant before this season though was it.

Still isn't, and will be completely off the media & football fans picture in a week when their transfer window closes.

2 hours ago, The Prophet said:

PIF owns around $700 billion worth of assets, I'd be surprised if there's much joined-up thinking from project to project.

More importantly we've seen with LIV Golf and the Saudi league, they don't fuck around. PIF want us to be number one, that means they'll provide the finances for the best academy, training facilities, infrastructure, staff and players. They won't be worrying about what everyone else is doing. They'll have huge ambitions for both us and their own domestic league.

Anyway, let's see to what extent they're prioritising their domestic league over NUFC.

Man City - Around £50 million on two players

Arsenal - N/A

Man United - Around £5 million on one player 

Liverpool - Around £50 million on three players 

Chelsea - Around £35 million on three players 

Spurs - N/A

Villa - N/A

Brighton - N/A

It's marginally helped the wage bill of three clubs who would be doing absolutely fine regardless.

When you consider they've plough £350 million in to the first team alone, them prioritising their domestic league just doesn't stack up.

They haven’t ploughed £350m into the first team, though.  The club brings in money, too.  I’m sure the numbers will be out there re cash put in, but it won’t be close to £350m.  

47 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

You’re comparing market figures for those players with the inflated fees and wages being offered by clubs in KSA. 

No European club is going to offer anything like what is being offered for Salah, given his age

Obviously the Salah fee is going to be ridiculous there's no getting away from that. The wages part doesn't really effect us at all though, it's not like they're paying Saudi league players those salaries at the expense of Newcastle. 

I just don't agree that them buying the likes of Jordan Henderson is them prioritising their own league over us. Even with Salah I doubt they think that effects their ambition for us at all. It's not like they are just handing over £200m to them for nowt either they are taking away their best player with the transfer window closed. Fairly certain Klopp would rather keep him and sell him in the summer. 

2 hours ago, Jaqen said:

Obviously the Salah fee is going to be ridiculous there's no getting away from that. The wages part doesn't really effect us at all though, it's not like they're paying Saudi league players those salaries at the expense of Newcastle. 

I just don't agree that them buying the likes of Jordan Henderson is them prioritising their own league over us. Even with Salah I doubt they think that effects their ambition for us at all. It's not like they are just handing over £200m to them for nowt either they are taking away their best player with the transfer window closed. Fairly certain Klopp would rather keep him and sell him in the summer. 

Tbf I don’t think they’re doing it deliberately - but we are suffering from a negative externality as a result.

I also think it would be reasonable for them to prioritise the KSA league - it’s their money, after all.

That doesn’t mean that they’re actively seeking to harm us - I don’t doubt that they want this to be a success. 

Call me crazy but I think Salah is still incredible and one of the best players in the world. I wouldn't sell him even for £215m. Even with a year left on his contract they'll like get £130m+ so I'd be holding on to him and making plans of how to spend that money next summer and sell him then.

26 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Call me crazy but I think Salah is still incredible and one of the best players in the world. I wouldn't sell him even for £215m. Even with a year left on his contract they'll like get £130m+ so I'd be holding on to him and making plans of how to spend that money next summer and sell him then.

I think Liverpool owners don’t care about winning titles. Just being competitive. They want the money. 

With Salah, PIF are targeting the most successful, commercially valuable (shudder) footballer available. There's no other player who'd single handedly pull in more supporters in the MENA region, that includes Ronaldo and Messi.

They probably haven't given much thought about the minimal impact on NUFC. If they did, they'd probably tell you we're going to be number one anyway. When the Abu Dhabi Group took over Man City, they focussed on what assets and  internal processes would make them the most dominant team in Europe. They weren't worrying about what Man United and Chelsea were doing.

43 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

What's with this trend on here recently of acting like morals are purely subjective? If there was no collective, objective morality we wouldn't have civilisations or laws, for a start. 

If morals were objective there'd be no need for laws.

1 hour ago, GeordieDazzler said:

Hes had the injury for a year but its minor...Its a minor injury but its plagued him...Its a minor injury but can only play with injections...Hes had the injury for a year but Manure detected it....

Who writes this shit? :lol:

4 hours ago, Froggy said:

I agree with this - even if he only has 2 more seasons at the very top, he could well be the difference between them finishing in the Champions League and not for at least this season. At which point, that sale price starts to look a bit less appealing.