Other clubs' transfers

Greg

8 minutes ago, CFlan said:

It’s pure depressing watching football nosediving towards this shite, even more so with our great leaders being behind it all.  

The other European leagues have been levelling these same complaints against the Premier league for a while now.

Premier league has had a good run. Had to end sometime though and this summer is the beginning of it.

6 minutes ago, black_n_white said:

Makes you wonder what we would have done transfer wise had FFP not been a thing. FFP might be a blessing, at least we’ll have some credibility doing it the ‘right’ way.

Makes me appreciate FFP to be honest, would have felt hollow as fuck to win by dropping obscene money and having a squad that was champions league winning worthy within the space of two years. I say that on one hand being pleased about it and on the other annoyed, given that FFP isn’t actually interested in the integrity of the game, but adding to the status quo

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

The other European leagues have been levelling these same complaints against the Premier league for a while now.

Premier league has had a good run. Had to end sometime though and this summer is the beginning of it.

It feels like it could be, let’s see what the interest is in the Saudi league, if each team in the league can have a bunch of quality players then it’s hard to imagine it not getting a big following

Just now, Andy84 said:

Just seen West Ham linked with about 10 players.  Seems a bit of a mess there, doesn’t seem to be a clear strategy 

Same as last season 

Don’t think Moyes has any idea about how to build a side. I think he’s good at working with the players he has, fostering a united team and getting results but I’d never trust him with a budget. I know there are directors of football but they do need to work closely with the manager on transfers 

6 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I would say that the one (possible) caveat here is that at the very least there's a notion of heritage behind the football league in England. 

8 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I couldn’t give a fuck about the Premier League tbh. I just struggle to connect or care with any of football more. Money always drove the game I know but the whole thing just feels rotten now. We’re going to start to win trophies in the near future and I’ll still be ambivalent towards it all. 

This Mbappe thing - say Saudis actually buy him - could there be a behind the scenes deal with Qatar - you buy Mbappe - we’ll buy the TV rights for the Saudi league? 

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Mbappe's probably the football equivalent of whoever is going to be the best tennis player over the next decade. We've had the Ronaldo/Messi/Federer/Nadal/Djokovic era, he's still world class just not their level. 

Exactly that.

I was saying this to someone earlier. There's probably not going to be a Ballon d'Or winner born 88-97. That's a decade and a generation. There's never been a year where someone in that group has been the best active player in the world. Who is even the best in that bracket? Neymar, Hazard, Bale are probably the most talented and they've all basically retired.

Similar to tennis and basketball.

Outside of Mbappe - I don't see the next major football star. Maybe that's a good thing.

Edited by The College Dropout

1 hour ago, wormy said:

How have Spurs weaseled their way in to the Mbappe rumours as if they're genuinely in the running? :lol:

Classic Spurs. The big 4, the big 6, Super League, Mbappe.

Coat-tail c*nts

21 minutes ago, toon25 said:

I would say that the one (possible) caveat here is that at the very least there's a notion of heritage behind the football league in England. 

Yes, I think for English players certainly, but a lot of foreign players will take the money being offered as the amounts in question are so absurd.

The Mitrovic situation was very telling. Just came off a great season with Fulham on the cusp of a European place, and he wants out to go to Saudi.

Any quality player that isn't at a club that is one of the top ones that is competitive and that can pay high wages is likely going to take an opportunity to go there.

I heard, don't quote me, the real reason Mbappe may well consider the Al Hilal offer is... the chance to play with a fellow compatriot aka St Maxisomethingorother.

Might be bullshit, should probably ignore for now until more reliable sources confirm.

28 minutes ago, CFlan said:

I couldn’t give a fuck about the Premier League tbh. I just struggle to connect or care with any of football more. Money always drove the game I know but the whole thing just feels rotten now. We’re going to start to win trophies in the near future and I’ll still be ambivalent towards it all. 

I remember Wenger talking about introducing some sort of salary cap setup back in the day, and no one was really trying to hear that. That's the only thing that could have prevented all this nonsense escalating. Way too late now.

English football had the greatest heritage but it wasn't until we started flashing the cash that top foreign players were interested in coming.

We were the first 'sell out' league really. Serie A had the rightful claim of being the best league in the world, the biggest crowds and were dominant in Europe it was attacting the best players and when the change started.

Edited by Wolfcastle

47 minutes ago, Mikky said:

This Mbappe thing - say Saudis actually buy him - could there be a behind the scenes deal with Qatar - you buy Mbappe - we’ll buy the TV rights for the Saudi league? 

Plenty of things don't make sense about the deal so something is happening behind the scenes.

Are Sheffield Utd even bothering this season or what? Spent about £5m so far. I mean, if they're in the 'take the parachutes and come back down' mode then fair enough but it's got to all seem a bit pointless getting promoted if there's virtually no ambition to actually stay there for more than a season? 

My brother in law is a Sheffield United fan, think there’s an acceptance within the fan base and wider club that they don’t stand a chance of staying up. Think they were amazed that they got promoted in all honesty