Other clubs' transfers

Greg

11 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Western clubs allowed to trade with Russia? Genuine question- haven’t a clue who owns what and level of sanctions etc. 

Seemingly so. Spartak are owned by Lukoil who are sanctioned, I think, like so seems a bit off.

On 24/07/2023 at 12:30, Whitley mag said:

Jesper Lindstrom to Juventus potentially, looks a player and would undoubtedly have upgraded our right side.

Feck.

17 minutes ago, Deuce said:

I’m not even an MLS fanboy, but the league is on the right path. Steady growth, financially stable, state-of-the-art facilities. Already attracting top South American talent with higher wages (or at least, guarantees that they’ll be paid on time :lol: ) than Argentinian or Brazilian clubs can offer. For most European players, prospect of living and playing in the U.S. is a far easier sell than Saudi Arabia, China, etc.

It’s not anything imminent, but 20 years from now I’d not be surprised if MLS were competing for the Tonalis and Isaks in their prime.

Think a good way for the MLS to accelerate growth would have been to put it on regular TV. It’s even harder to access now that it’s on Apple TV. 

Was watching an AFTV program yesterday with some British ex pats and they were saying how the PL is such a “smash hit”. It just made think about how small the MLS really is. Any good player produced by the MLS will be snapped by Europe ie Alphonso Davies, Dempsey, even Miggy. Hold outs like Landon Donovan will be seen as players who never fulfilled their potential. 

The MLS is that thing you feel like you should be watching but never get around to. I have a bunch of friends I went to high school with who weren’t into soccer 15 years ago but now they’re Liverpool fans or Chelsea fans. It’s like basketball in England. No one supports the Dairylea Dunkers. They support NBA teams. 

15 minutes ago, toon25 said:

There's no way the MLS will ever rival Europe. For a multitude of factors - not least travel times between games/times zones and the fact there are so many other sports vying for air time and competition.

SA will doubtless be building infrastructure as we speak on pretty much a blank canvas.

Don’t most English clubs bus their squads several hours across the country for matches? We have planes here that accomplish the same. :lol: not to mention that Europe-based players already have to travel across the continent for UEFA competitions.

Doubtful MLS will ever be the pre-eminent sports league in the U.S., but it’s a massive sports market with a lot of space.

I think the one thing that hamstrings the MLS a bit, when it comes to viewership and less when it comes to attendance, is the time of day/night the matches are on. Are people really going to put aside time on a Saturday night at 7 or 8pm to watch a match after having watched two, maybe three PL matches already that day? Nah. 

The only time I ever see MLS is on a bar TV when I’m out that night doing my normal Saturday night things. 

I don't dispute MLS is huge in America, but personally speaking I can't see myself staying up till midnight to see Yedlin and players of that irk play. Saudi Arabia have really only started taking their league seriously in the last 18 months. MLS has been around for a good 10-15 years - I couldn't tell you 10 people I know that watch it. And that's with Beckham, Zlatan and now even with Messi there.

Edited by Menace

33 minutes ago, Deuce said:

Don’t most English clubs bus their squads several hours across the country for matches? We have planes here that accomplish the same. :lol: not to mention that Europe-based players already have to travel across the continent for UEFA competitions.

Doubtful MLS will ever be the pre-eminent sports league in the U.S., but it’s a massive sports market with a lot of space.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jul/01/mls-flights-commercial-travel-soccer

I was also thinking of an article I read a year or so ago where a former player was talking about the ballache of travelling so much between games.

18 minutes ago, Menace said:

I don't dispute MLS is huge in America, but personally speaking I can't see myself staying up till midnight to see Yedlin and players of that irk play. Saudi Arabia have really only started taking their league seriously in the last 18 months. MLS has been around for a good 10-15 years - I couldn't tell you 10 people I know that watch it. And that's with Beckham, Zlatan and now even with Messi there.

I was watching highlights of Messi's debut and almost spat all over my screen when I saw Yedlin was playing right back for his team ... and still over hitting every cross.

17 minutes ago, Menace said:

You’re thinking of MLS now, but I’m talking about the MLS of 20 years from now. Even someone like Yedlin is miles better than the average MLS player of 20 years ago, and he’ll eventually be eclipsed.

I’m not convinced the Saudis have a sustainable business model. They’re really just gonna throw money at top players indefinitely? Think they’ll likelier to fuck it all off after they’ve secured their inevitable World Cup.

Anyhoo, it’s all speculative at this point. I just wouldn’t sleep on it!

25 minutes ago, Menace said:

Aye, this is where I am

21 minutes ago, toon25 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jul/01/mls-flights-commercial-travel-soccer

I was also thinking of an article I read a year or so ago where a former player was talking about the ballache of travelling so much between games.

I mean, baseball players, hockey players, and basketball players do it all season with many many many more games (162, 82, and 82 respectively) and don’t bitch at all. Sometimes they even finish a game, go to the airport, fly halfway across the country, and wake up the next day and play. 

The soccer kids bitch about having to fly once a week? :lol: 

Edited by cubaricho

12 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

I mean, baseball players, hockey players, and basketball players do it all season with many many many more games (162, 82, and 82 respectively) and don’t bitch at all. Sometimes they even finish a game, go to the airport, fly halfway across the country, and wake up the next day and play. 

The soccer kids bitch about having to fly once a week? :lol: 

Aye, but they are are similar to wrestling, it's not really a sport 🤷‍♂️

The trouble with any of these leagues like the Saudi one is they don't have the history or anything to make watching it interesting for most folk in Europe. It's a lot different to them buying the golf or hosting F1 etc. Football is much more than just about the standard or players on display. It's watching Everton games because you want to see them get beat and relegated, it's watching European games as you want the English sides knocked out, it's watching two shite Milan teams play each other on a Sunday night because of the rivalry. It's just hard to care about rich Saudi club 1 v rich Saudi club 2. 

58 minutes ago, Menace said:

It's been around for double that time - but I think your point is spot-on.  I won't be watching Inter Miami any time soon.  I think this is where KSA will miscalculate - the belief it is about 'names'.  Since the PL breakaway, only once has a player in England been voted World Player of the Year (in any of its various incarnations)

A league only really needs to be watched by locals to be viable tbf.

4 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

The trouble with any of these leagues like the Saudi one is they don't have the history or anything to make watching it interesting for most folk in Europe. It's a lot different to them buying the golf or hosting F1 etc. Football is much more than just about the standard or players on display. It's watching Everton games because you want to see them get beat and relegated, it's watching European games as you want the English sides knocked out, it's watching two shite Milan teams play each other on a Sunday night because of the rivalry. It's just hard to care about rich Saudi club 1 v rich Saudi club 2. 

100%.  It is the 'watching eleven shirts on a washing line' argument that Tommy Docherty put forward.  The standard of football isn't the point - at all.

4 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

Most soccer players would get fit for a coffin if they got hit anything like this. :lol: 

🤷‍♂️

Most "American football players" would do similar if they played rugby 😂

Swings and roundabouts 

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Padding and helmets are for wimps, etc

Dunno, more the point is that they need them as they try to hurt the opposition rather than win with tactics 🤷‍♂️

I'm no expert like