Other clubs' transfers

Greg

1 hour ago, Ben said:

Looking at the two squads last night Chelsea need to get rid of a shit load of players before bringing anyone in.

Not sure they do tbh, they've already cleared loads bringing the average age right down. Mostly it'll be younger players going out on loan from this point rather than many more sales from the actual squad they've took with them to the US.

Only position they do need to sell on is left back, as they currently have four. 

4 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Not sure they do tbh, they've already cleared loads bringing the average age right down. Mostly it'll be younger players going out on loan from this point rather than many more sales from the actual squad they've took with them to the US.

Only position they do need to sell on is left back, as they currently have four. 

sounds like they want to sell a few- they’ve still got a massive squad and players who simply won’t play. LB, like you say is one area. 

“Mauricio Pochettino says Chelsea need to be prepared to make tough decisions to trim their “massive” preseason squad and create the right balance in the coming weeks.

Chelsea took 29 players on their preseason tour of the United States, despite allowing 12 first-team players to depart in this summer transfer window and leaving Romelu Lukaku, Hakim Ziyech and Callum Hudson-Odoi in England to find moves away from Stamford Bridge.

Cobham graduate Lewis Hall and recent signing Ângelo Gabriel were two players Pochettino was unable to find minutes for in a 1-1 draw with Newcastle at Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta on Tuesday, and after the match Chelsea’s manager was keen to emphasise that his squad remains too big for what he requires.

“First of all we need to define the squad,” Pochettino said. “We are 29, 30 players here and it’s massive. At the moment the dynamic is really good. They are very good guys sharing a good time together. But it’s difficult because in every game maybe three, four, five players cannot play, and that makes the mood difficult.

“It’s about creating a squad with a good balance with people who have the opportunity to play and compete for a place. That is a challenge for us in the transfer window to build a good balance, and then if players are not happy because they believe they are not going to play, we will find a solution to fix the situation.

“What we cannot do is have a massive squad with players in America not involved, because it’s going to create a mess. Maybe less is more and more is less.

“That is why I need to make clear we don’t need a bigger squad. We need 22, 23, 24 players and that’s it. I’m so sorry because maybe the decisions will be tough, but we need to build a good, balanced team if we want to compete for big things.”

Pochettino's Chelsea vision is becoming clear... and it looks good

Pochettino cited left-back as a particularly overloaded area. Hall’s path to selection there is currently blocked by Ben Chilwell, Marc Cucurella and Ian Maatsen, but the Dutchman has still managed to break through in preseason operating in more advanced midfield roles, starting on the left wing against Brighton and Hove Albion and on the right against Newcastle.”

https://theathletic.com/4725133/2023/07/27/chelsea-mauricio-pochettino-trim-preseason-squad/?access_token=8349337&redirected=1

Not really any different to what I've said tbf. The ones they're selling are those that are left at home anyway. Most of it from now will be picking which of the kids/new signings they're keeping around, and which are going out on loan.

Other than maybe Gallagher I'm not sure they'll sell many more.

I know we've been linked with Lewis Hall, but I'd still be surprised if they sell him rather than loan out at this stage of his career tbh. Especially as it's not like he can't also play other positions.

9 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Not really any different to what I've said tbf. The ones they're selling are those that are left at home anyway. Most of it from now will be picking which of the kids/new signings they're keeping around, and which are going out on loan.

Other than maybe Gallagher I'm not sure they'll sell many more.

I know we've been linked with Lewis Hall, but I'd still be surprised if they sell him rather than loan out at this stage of his career tbh. Especially as it's not like he can't also play other positions.

It says they took 29 on the tour and Poch wants a squad of 22-24? So they want to sell 5-7, as well as the ones named and were left at home. 

24 minutes ago, Manxst said:

It says they took 29 on the tour and Poch wants a squad of 22-24? So they want to sell 5-7, as well as the ones named and were left at home. 

They're hardly going to be selling the likes of Gabriel, Moreira etc who they've literally just signed though. Nor likely other youngsters they've either signed last summer like Casadei or brought through like Hall. They've signed lots of young players as assets, which makes up a large part of their US party, and they'll be trimming the squad down mostly by farming them out.

The pre-season tour will largely be an exercise in Poch deciding who he wants around, and who isn't ready yet. But that doesn't mean selling the players in question necessarily - it just means who will be sticking around this season in a smaller squad. And I don't think this process or the existing size of their tour squad would do anything in terms of stopping them make a first XI signing like Caicedo for example.

Edited by ponsaelius

14 minutes ago, Ronson333 said:

Bollocks about this mysterious Liverpool love, just wait till the Saudi big bucks becomes available and these Liverpool legends/players show their true colours.

Ain't rainbow flags for sure

0_Main-and-Grabs-Al-Ettifaq-repeatedly-b

1 hour ago, Ronson333 said:

Bollocks about this mysterious Liverpool love, just wait till the Saudi big bucks becomes available and these Liverpool legends/players show their true colours.

No mysterious love for us from Lavia. Three clubs were in him for him from the beginning of summer - us, Arsenal, Chelsea. Since Partey decided to stay, Arsenal backed off. Chelsea showed interest but decided to focus on Caicedo more. We were the only ones consistently in for him since the beginning. With Fabinho leaving, we have only one player who can play number 6 and that is Bajcetic. If he comes to us, he will get plenty of game time. I am guessing that is the reason he currently prefers us. 

5 hours ago, Ketsbaia said:

Be class if Kane joins Bayern, like. Hopefully that rules Spurs out of things for a while.

Us, Chelsea and Villa battling for 5th place.

I'm not sure about Liverpool this year, I don't think they have improved their squad much, plus Salah and Van Dijk are a year older.

6 hours ago, rgk_lfc said:

No mysterious love for us from Lavia. Three clubs were in him for him from the beginning of summer - us, Arsenal, Chelsea. Since Partey decided to stay, Arsenal backed off. Chelsea showed interest but decided to focus on Caicedo more. We were the only ones consistently in for him since the beginning. With Fabinho leaving, we have only one player who can play number 6 and that is Bajcetic. If he comes to us, he will get plenty of game time. I am guessing that is the reason he currently prefers us. 

Feels like whenever Liverpool are linked with a player they inevitably get him.  Bellingham aside 

4 hours ago, Andy84 said:

Feels like whenever Liverpool are linked with a player they inevitably get him.  Bellingham aside 

Like Tchoumani?

Real have eaten their main summer transfer target 2 years in a row.  

They usually don’t go for the recognised A talents. So they end up competing with the likes of us rather than the likes of City or Real. That’s why they have Darwin and not Haaland. 

5 hours ago, Ben said:

I'm not sure about Liverpool this year, I don't think they have improved their squad much, plus Salah and Van Dijk are a year older.

They have signed some decent players but think they will really miss the impact and leadership (not so much the football ability these days) on the group that Henderson, Milner and even Fabinho have.

5 hours ago, Ben said:

Mac Allister and Lavia are massive improvements. Szoboszlai is a risk, but if he adjusts he will also give them another dimension.