Other clubs' transfers

Greg

Just now, r0cafella said:

I don’t think they have and why would they. It’s only a talking point due to it being pre season. Doesn’t matter how much they spend the league will struggle for relevancy outside of MENA. 

Don't be fooled by the current standing of the league in world terms.

SA are not doing all this for fun.. it's about showing the world what they can do.

It might start with some high level friendlies or even a final between the champions League winner v their confederation cup winner but there will be some end game in mind 

9 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

I don’t think they have and why would they. It’s only a talking point due to it being pre season. Doesn’t matter how much they spend the league will struggle for relevancy outside of MENA. 

Fundamentally, they're not going to be taking part in any European competitions any time soon unless they comply with FFP, and the only reason anyone is even talking about what they are doing is the insane "endless supply of money", FFP-immune batshit levels of spending they're engaging in.

You can have one, but you can't have them both. 

European clubs are not stupid, they or UEFA - turkeys don't vote for christmas. 

Add to that, as a consumer spectacle, it will have zero value in Europe, no matter who they buy.

4 minutes ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

Don't be fooled by the current standing of the league in world terms.

SA are not doing all this for fun.. it's about showing the world what they can do.

It might start with some high level friendlies or even a final between the champions League winner v their confederation cup winner but there will be some end game in mind 

None of this matters, friendlies against teams from England will be the highlight of the season for such teams. I’ve got no doubt it can be a success in the region but that’s as far as it can go. 

also see @brummie post for further reading. 

They don’t need to partake in a UEFA competition. They can create their own and invite the elite European clubs - who have already proven - are willing to branch off and play in their own competition for silly money. 

Saudi and Florentino Perez (or whoever) will decide the financial spending rules, not UEFA. 

The obstacle is UEFA. UEFA don’t add much value.  If KSA can get players, European clubs, FIFA and enough I’d the media onside it’s checkmate for UEFA. 

Saudi league just needs validation in Asia and Africa. It’s the international club competition that will take over the world. 

That might take 5-10+ years.  

2 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

They don’t need to partake in a UEFA competition. They can create their own and invite the elite European clubs - who have already proven - are willing to branch off and play in their own competition for silly money. 

Saudi and Florentino Perez (or whoever) will decide the financial spending rules, not UEFA. 

The obstacle is UEFA. UEFA don’t add much value.  If KSA can get players, European clubs, FIFA and enough I’d the media onside it’s checkmate for UEFA. 

Saudi league just needs validation in Asia and Africa. It’s the international club competition that will take over the world. 

That might take 5-10+ years.  

Thankfully almost guaranteed that we will get an invite to any Saudi competition - I suggest we are the sole founder member and the 'big six' have to qualify every year

2 hours ago, r0cafella said:

Disagree, I think they'd definitely get a lot of viewers in especially if they bring even more players in. I would probably watch a game if ASM was playing for example

9 minutes ago, simonsays said:

Thankfully almost guaranteed that we will get an invite to any Saudi competition - I suggest we are the sole founder member and the 'big six' have to qualify every year

:anguish:

27 minutes ago, simonsays said:

I actually think they would make it performance based. The ‘closed shop’ ESL was the most unpopular element. 

The Champions League itself is trending in the direction of admittance by ‘historic performance’.  The original Swiss format had 2 positions for clubs that didn’t qualify the normal route but based in the highest coefficient club.  

Cracking article in The Athletic about how the transfer window functions these days.

Free to read here: https://theathletic.com./4679032/2023/07/27/how-football-transfers-actually-work/

A highlight:

“The problem you’ll have now is weirdos who own football clubs, they all just want to ‘win’. It’s a Trumpian mindset for a lot of them; they just want to win every single fight, be that keeping their player, or getting a massive fee, or signing a marquee player just to show off. So that makes it hard to have sensible negotiations sometimes.

Aye, good for them. Why any club, when they know Chelsea want a player of theirs, would accept the first or even the second bid, is beyond me. Chelsea are the desperate drunk bloke at the end of the night, propositioning anything in a skirt. They'll be back with an even bigger bid, no doubt. Scummy wankers.

2 hours ago, LionOfGosforth said:

Aye, good for them. Why any club, when they know Chelsea want a player of theirs, would accept the first or even the second bid, is beyond me. Chelsea are the desperate drunk bloke at the end of the night, propositioning anything in a skirt. They'll be back with an even bigger bid, no doubt. Scummy wankers.

Fans of every other club would probably say the same of us, mind.

11 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Seems incredibly cheap, would take him here at that price

What a fall off this guy has had. Looked certain to be a top player at one point. 

Given we’re light in the rw position I think it’d be worth rolling the dice on him for £4m too. 

43 minutes ago, St1pe said:

What a fall off this guy has had. Looked certain to be a top player at one point. 

Given we’re light in the rw position I think it’d be worth rolling the dice on him for £4m too. 

He’s only 22 isn’t he?