Other clubs' transfers

Greg

Just now, patrone said:

Dunno, more the point is that they need them as they try to hurt the opposition rather than win with tactics ?‍♂️

I'm no expert like 

It's all a bit silly, tbh.  Grid iron, ice hockey and rugby are all sports where you can get hurt badly playing.  This is also the case with football.

All a bit daft

2 hours ago, Kimbo said:

I'm becoming increasingly convinced this is part of a Saudi plan to make themselves the main driver of a super league. I don't see how their domestic league can become a success like this in the medium to long term. The goal eventually has to be commercial viability, but the money being thrown about has no chance of ever being that. PIF isn't just going to flush billions down the toilet year after year. When the league starts to become successful are they going to start offering less money? That seems unlikely. The money only makes sense in the context of a super league.

They'll build the profile of their chosen clubs, build relationships with the top players, and build relationships with the ESL clubs by taking their deadwood and shoveling money into their pockets, then in 2-3 years they will make their move.

The point is that there is no governance or accountability for Saudi clubs, the government can print as much money to sign all the players they want.

If they are willing to be part of the European football system somehow, it will totally change the landscape on how they deal with finances, FFP will hit them hard, and the party will be over.

I don't think most players would prefer a 200k p/w move to a Saudi club (in a FFP scenario) instead of a move to Newcastle or Man Utd for 100k p/w. They will have to always break the bank with offers above 500k p/w, but for how many players they can offer it? Can you imagine 15 players earning 500k p/w, it's chaos.

Edited by cranna

17 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

It's all a bit silly, tbh.  Grid iron, ice hockey and rugby are all sports where you can get hurt badly playing.  This is also the case with football.

All a bit daft

Well I was joking like

?‍♂️

1 hour ago, cranna said:

The point is that there is no governance or accountability for Saudi clubs, the government can print as much money to sign all the players they want.

If they are willing to be part of the European football system somehow, it will totally change the landscape on how they deal with finances, FFP will hit them hard, and the party will be over.

I don't think most players would prefer a 200k p/w move to a Saudi club (in a FFP scenario) instead of a move to Newcastle or Man Utd for 100k p/w. They will have to always break the bank with offers above 500k p/w, but for how many players they can offer it? Can you imagine 15 players earning 500k p/w, it's chaos.

Why would they comply with UEFA rules? The ESL teams would love a Saudi run international club competition. If they can take the best players and the best teams, they can dictate anything to UEFA. They don’t actually need UEFA. Real Madrid and Saudi could confirm Madrid’s 14 CL titles have carrried into this new thing plus all the other winners and just go from there. 

2 hours ago, Jaqen said:

The trouble with any of these leagues like the Saudi one is they don't have the history or anything to make watching it interesting for most folk in Europe. It's a lot different to them buying the golf or hosting F1 etc. Football is much more than just about the standard or players on display. It's watching Everton games because you want to see them get beat and relegated, it's watching European games as you want the English sides knocked out, it's watching two shite Milan teams play each other on a Sunday night because of the rivalry. It's just hard to care about rich Saudi club 1 v rich Saudi club 2. 

We had a UAE FC vs Russian Oligarch FC final recently.  

English fans don’t watch much non English football.  Not even the champions league. 

12 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

English fans don’t watch much non English football.  Not even the champions league. 

Stick it on terrestrial TV and that all changes. 

6 hours ago, Disco said:

Stick it on terrestrial TV and that all changes. 

Agreed. Bar the final I haven’t watched a UCL game in probably a decade since it went to BT. Had a Sky subscription but the switch to another platform was too much to pay for something we had zero chance of playing in and the odd NUFC game. Stick a game back on ITV each Wednesday and I’d be glued to it.

2 hours ago, GeordieDazzler said:

I remember someone posting a mega thread at the mid point of last season listing all the stuff going on at wolves and it sounded like a shambles then. 

It really is the most terrible shame.

Liverpool seem to replace their team in waves, they replaced the front line over last season or two with gakpo, nunez and diaz, now they are replacing the whole midfield in one window, next window i guess they replace teh defence? doesn't half mean you end up with a whole bit of your squad leaving at the same time as contracts run down...

5 minutes ago, toon25 said:

Who's Bilal Toure? 

21 year old CF, plays for Almeria/Mali. Supposedly Everton have bid around €30m for him, but so have Atalanta, and there are rumours he’s off there instead.

Edited by Manxst