Other clubs' transfers

Greg

Ayee, I mean usually those that go mad have come into some money like Villa did with Grealish or forest getting promoted. I think we see really high fees these days it’s partly down to most clicks not being willing sellers and this big fees are needed to prise players away. 

i think any spirals will happen on a local basis due to certain clubs over expanding. 

Just now, Interpolic said:

Is there a maximum wage/turnover ratio under FFP or are there just guidelines? Ours was apparently 95% in April. 

Iirc only Uefa have this for now and I think it’s 90% but it’s sliding downwards over the next few years. 

1 minute ago, Interpolic said:

Christ, 3rd in Europe. Thank God Ashley made us so financially stable :anguish:

It’s nothing to worry about my friend, we are basically city in reverse, we somehow managed to decrease our revenue in 14 years under Ashley which is absolutely mind boggling if we never had his shirt ownership our revenue would be close to liverpools. 

Villa have brought in £120 million of pure profit from Grealish and Chukwuemeka over last two seasons. That kind of academy development gives so much breathing room in terms of FFP.

Look at their squad now and they have Ramsey who could potentially be a Grealish type sale in a couple of years if they wanted to - and the likes of Archer who even if he doesn't make it should still bring in decent money when sold.

We need to sort out academy out as soon as we can.

We had a number of payments included in our wages that were seen as one off rather than all of it being player wage increases.

Yet, like with the losses, there were exacerbating factors and Newcastle are confident it will be an anomaly.

Steve Bruce, who left his position as head coach in October 2021, received a pay-off of around £8m, which inflates those figures, as does the cost of recruiting Eddie Howe and his extended backroom team, which is larger than previous years.

What’s more, Newcastle’s accounts for 2020-21 only covered 11 months due to the COVID-19-affected campaign, while the latest year covers a full 12, which leads to a portion of the increased salary budget.

A staggering £14.2m was also added into that pot covering “onerous employment contracts”, which essentially means writing off the wages of players who are no longer considered part of the first-team squad. That is likely to include Jeff Hendrick, Ciaran Clark and Dwight Gayle.

Newcastle’s wage bill ranks eighth in the Premier League, behind the ‘Big Six’ and Leicester (£182m), but they are still significantly behind Arsenal (£212m).

“Their wage budget is pretty competitive among the ‘Other 14’ clubs but the gap to Arsenal, then the huge gap to the other elite clubs, shows the level of growth needed still,” says Maguire. “Newcastle’s wage-to-turnover ratio should stabilise anyway, while it is even less of a concern if they get into Europe because that brings increased revenues.”

17 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

Christ, 3rd in Europe. Thank God Ashley made us so financially stable :anguish:

Annoying isn't it. We've got quite a bit of wriggle room in terms of FFP spending simply because he didn't spend money on anything, which gets misinterpreted as leaving us in a strong financial position. But our lack of revenue and comparatively high wagebill (a lot of which on valueless shite) has been a massive issue. 

Edited by ponsaelius

1 hour ago, TRon said:

Emery strikes me as being a bit like Eddie Howe, he knows he won't be able to buy the creme de la creme players because they'll go to the Hallowed 6, but he knows how to coach a team, and he knows how to recruit players to fit that plan. He's not going to win the title, but he'll be able to aim for Europe every season just because he's better at that than most of his rivals.

Emery, to me, strikes as a diet Rafa. Obsessive, attention to detail, works harder than practically everyone at the club, and has a very pleasant personality if you get to know him. His teams don't play the most aesthetically pleasing football, but they are tactically so well drilled and you know you are going to get a game.  I would be happy to be proven wrong, but I don't think he will win La Liga (like Rafa did with Valencia) or the CL, but he is just below that level, which is a great place to be. 

1 hour ago, TRC said:

Villa must be close to going over on FFP?

Shame they shouldn't even be in the PL, jammy fucks.

Our net spend over the last 4 transfer windows is £40m.

Nowhere near.

Edited by brummie

32 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Villa have brought in £120 million of pure profit from Grealish and Chukwuemeka over last two seasons. That kind of academy development gives so much breathing room in terms of FFP.

Look at their squad now and they have Ramsey who could potentially be a Grealish type sale in a couple of years if they wanted to - and the likes of Archer who even if he doesn't make it should still bring in decent money when sold.

We need to sort out academy out as soon as we can.

Yes, good point re academy.

I'll also say this now - Jacob Ramsey is better at 22 than Grealish was at that age. His two younger brothers are also at the club (Aaron was at Boro last season).

I am hoping Archer gets a chance - he's a very impressive finisher.

Also re spending - Douglas Luiz, Kamara, McGinn, Ramsey - total cost less than £20m.

35 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

Steve Bruce, who left his position as head coach in October 2021, received a pay-off of around £8m, which inflates those figures, as does the cost of recruiting Eddie Howe and his extended backroom team, which is larger than previous years.

Incredible how lucrative being a poor manager and delivering poor results can be. 

3 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Mount to Man Utd done deal according to Orny

£60m fee. The rest of Europe must just look at us now and think what's the point. :lol:

£50-60m has become the average for a very good player now for the Premier League. 

Edited by Optimistic Nut

60M for Mount man, christ he's not worth that. 

105M for Rice seems high but that price isn't just for the players ability. He leaves a massive hole in the West Ham team so there was no way they were going to let him go for a bargain price. 

I haven't seen him loads but when I have he has looked absolutely class. A proper backbone player. 

49 minutes ago, brummie said:

Incredible how lucrative being a poor manager and delivering poor results can be. 

That was the deal he struck with Ashley to keep the heat away from him knowing full well the new owners would have to pay it.

A fucking Geordie screwing over his home town club for money whilst protecting the most hated man in the history of Newcastle United is as low as you can go. 

Mount for ManUtd will be a good fit. Still need a keeper and a striker

Rice and Havertz also good buys for Arsenal. Surprised to not see them upgrade in the back. Saliba missing showed how weak they really are. 

Liverpool taking MacAllister is also a big upgrade for them. 

Villa making good moves - will contend for top 7

West Ham may struggle this year if they take Europe seriously

Spurs are meh - Maddison good fit, but losing Kane leaves a big hole. Did they sign a keeper yet? If so, where is Raya going? Brentford signed his replacement already. Whatever is happening with Sanchez at Brighton?

I trust the team and think we'll see more action after July 1st. But its clear all other teams are improving somewhat significantly. Tonali definitely an upgrade but we still have an issue with depth in key areas.