Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

That looks like the fall of a Middle Eastern dictatorship.

:spit:

As for Rafa and how he sets us up.  It really is a breath of fresh air (Partridge).

We would set up defensively under previous managers.  But there would be no shape or structure.  It would just be sit everyone deep and punt it long.  You could argue Pardew and McClaren actually had a stronger squad to work with, as well. 

The fact a manager actually has a particular style and a bit of tactical nous shouldn't really come as a surprise to most football fans.  But we have been served up so much shit of late.  It is just refreshing to see someone stick so rigidly to his guns. 

Yes, it can be a bit frustrating at times.  I thought the conservative approach cost us a bit against Huddersfield and Brighton.  Games we should have got at least a point from.  But at least he isn't knee jerking, rotating loads of players and changing the formation every week, like his predecessors. 

Just to echo what everyone else has been saying.  3-4 more even half decent players in the summer and we really could have been having a go this season.  The fact of the matter is, we are still about 4 players short in the starting XI and I don't see this changing any time soon.  Unless these takeover rumours come to anything. 

Rafa is working wonders with the cards he has been dealt.  I hope he is here for a very long time.

That looks like the fall of a Middle Eastern dictatorship.

:spit:

As for Rafa and how he sets us up.  It really is a breath of fresh air (Partridge).

We would set up defensively under previous managers.  But there would be no shape or structure.  It would just be sit everyone deep and punt it long.  You could argue Pardew and McClaren actually had a stronger squad to work with, as well. 

The fact a manager actually has a particular style and a bit of tactical nous shouldn't really come as a surprise to most football fans.  But we have been served up so much shit of late.  It is just refreshing to see someone stick so rigidly to his guns. 

Yes, it can be a bit frustrating at times.  I thought the conservative approach cost us a bit against Huddersfield and Brighton.  Games we should have got at least a point from.  But at least he isn't knee jerking, rotating loads of players and changing the formation every week, like his predecessors. 

Just to echo what everyone else has been saying.  3-4 more even half decent players in the summer and we really could have been having a go this season.  The fact of the matter is, we are still about 4 players short in the starting XI and I don't see this changing any time soon.  Unless these takeover rumours come to anything. 

Rafa is working wonders with the cards he has been dealt.  I hope he is here for a very long time.

:thup:

I'm relieved to see that the majority are finally catching up to the minority in 'supporting the club' actually means. The flags look simply glorious, our ground resembles some of the more passionate European clubs before kick off. Of course, this filters through to the team on the pitch. All these displays of solidarity towards our manager have not only had the effect of sticking two fingers up at Mike Ashley and his 'regime', but also the players know it doesn't matter how good or big they think they are, we are always, always going to back the manager regardless. We are almost a club unique in this aspect.

I believe, our unwavering, passionate, ardent support of Rafa Benitez may have helped contribute to Shelvey's change of direction back on to the path to fulfilling his potential. All that extra work he put in in the summer, demanding to play in reserves matches, and then that performance against Liverpool. On the ball, his play has a definite air of nonchalance, borne of sheer ability. His vision and his knack to pick a perfect pass with the speed that he does is literally like nothing I've ever seen in a footballer. In one motion, he'll receive a ball with barely a second or two to react before he's set upon, and will locate and ping the most ridiculous, FIFA-esque pass right where it needs to be.

Other great passers of the ball from by-gone eras have been more protected, and had whole teams built around their delivery. Shelvey is making do with the little space and time provided by either of the both inexperienced, yet promising Merino or Hayden. With another manager, like any other we've had in the past decade, I'm certain he'd have reverted to type, thrown his toys out of the pram and pushed for a summer move and the pressure would have been on the manager for mishandling the player.

I'm encouraged by the recent articles about Rafa being reportedly interested in the 'Newcastle project' even before Steve McLaren was sacked. I'm also curious to see what Mike Ashley's next play is in trying to drive a wedge between the fans and the manager. Rafa is the master of behind-the-scenes politics and Mike Ashley is absolutely nowhere near his level. In a game of brinkmanship between the two, it's hard to see Ashley coming out in any way apart from the gluttonous, fraud of a man that he is.

Just give this lovely man some fucking attacking quality :thup: Not sure if it'll ever happen, but I can't wait to see what he can do with this team with a quality #10 and CF. We have some other weak spots but these two positions are priority and would improve the rest of the players as well.

Just give this lovely man some f***ing attacking quality :thup: Not sure if it'll ever happen, but I can't wait to see what he can do with this team with a quality #10 and CF. We have some other weak spots but these two positions are priority and would improve the rest of the players as well.

?

Just give this lovely man some fucking attacking quality :thup: Not sure if it'll ever happen, but I can't wait to see what he can do with this team with a quality #10 and CF. We have some other weak spots but these two positions are priority and would improve the rest of the players as well.

Why would Mike let him buy anyone now? We're top half man. That'll do.

I genuinely think he loves it here like. Obviously because of the success and everything at Liverpool probably not as much as there but he seems to be thoroughly wrapped up in Tyneside.

I feel like Liverpool will always be his 'first love' so to speak but I don't think there can be any doubt that he's found a home and a set of fans that are perfectly suited to him.

Didn't he win the champions league with Milan Baros up front? Joselu should be good for at least a domestic cup.

Don't think I've seen a more average team to have ever won a CL

Guys a genius

Was thinking this morning....

Had Shelvey stayed on the pitch we likely dig in like we did versus Liverpool and grind out a 0-0. (+1 pt). Had Joselu buried his chance at Brighton I think we'd have won that match, it would have deflated Brighton imo (+3 pts).

But anyway, looking back our 3 losses this season have been 10 men in the opener to Spurs and two 1-nil losses where our attack was just purely unable to do anything or finish the few chances. Seriously, if we can continue to play this way at home and put in more Swansea style performances away from home we'll be in very sound footing heading into January. Early days, I know, but the fight, hunger, and defensive shape is making us very hard to break down or beat.

I'm relieved to see that the majority are finally catching up to the minority in 'supporting the club' actually means. The flags look simply glorious, our ground resembles some of the more passionate European clubs before kick off. Of course, this filters through to the team on the pitch. All these displays of solidarity towards our manager have not only had the effect of sticking two fingers up at Mike Ashley and his 'regime', but also the players know it doesn't matter how good or big they think they are, we are always, always going to back the manager regardless. We are almost a club unique in this aspect.

I believe, our unwavering, passionate, ardent support of Rafa Benitez may have helped contribute to Shelvey's change of direction back on to the path to fulfilling his potential. All that extra work he put in in the summer, demanding to play in reserves matches, and then that performance against Liverpool. On the ball, his play has a definite air of nonchalance, borne of sheer ability. His vision and his knack to pick a perfect pass with the speed that he does is literally like nothing I've ever seen in a footballer. In one motion, he'll receive a ball with barely a second or two to react before he's set upon, and will locate and ping the most ridiculous, FIFA-esque pass right where it needs to be.

Other great passers of the ball from by-gone eras have been more protected, and had whole teams built around their delivery. Shelvey is making do with the little space and time provided by either of the both inexperienced, yet promising Merino or Hayden. With another manager, like any other we've had in the past decade, I'm certain he'd have reverted to type, thrown his toys out of the pram and pushed for a summer move and the pressure would have been on the manager for mishandling the player.

I'm encouraged by the recent articles about Rafa being reportedly interested in the 'Newcastle project' even before Steve McLaren was sacked. I'm also curious to see what Mike Ashley's next play is in trying to drive a wedge between the fans and the manager. Rafa is the master of behind-the-scenes politics and Mike Ashley is absolutely nowhere near his level. In a game of brinkmanship between the two, it's hard to see Ashley coming out in any way apart from the gluttonous, fraud of a man that he is.

A fantastic post.